USB TV-Turner adapters to Xbox/XBMC?
i agree, they will include it in the next xbox. just look at the psx sony is releasing in the next months. just another ps2 with a few multimedia stuff. and very expensive!
i would love to see this features but realisticly if it cant happen then oh well life goes on... because xbmc does everything else a media center should do and it will (sometimes in the future)... so if it happens great but if it dont oh well...
a more realistic alternative to a usb adapter is to stream recoded video to xbmc over the network direct from a (hacked) tivo or replaytv standalone box, sure this is a much expensive alternative but there is already other open source projects (coded in c/c++) that can do this from a pc with linux or win32 so porting that code, there are even applications that can take full control over all tivo or replaytv functions. duo is already working on getting xbmp to stream recorded video from a tivo, once he got the streaming part working he will probebly move over to remote contreol of the same tivo from xbmp's gui. i' sure that if works fine in xbmp duo will port that feature over to xbmc, ...i do not however think that anyone of the developers in the official xbmp/xbmc team own a replaytv box so someone else would have to code that (or buy the xbmc dev/s one.)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(gamester17 @ oct. 12 2003,15:53 Wrote:
(syntaxx_error @ oct. 12 2003,14:11 Wrote:ok but it won't be more easy to find a solution for usb support on xbox 2
i'm willing to bet that ms will have pvr support in the xbox2 or at least a optional add-on adapter for it,
i'm also willing to bet that ms will not ever come out with a such add-on adapter for the xbox2.
i've just discovered that there is already a pvr project on xbox !!!

http://dreamix.sourceforge.net/

but there's no news since april 2003...
dreamix, guess thats vapourware
didnt hear from those guys in a looooong time

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
(syntaxx_error @ oct. 13 2003,12:57 Wrote:i've just discovered that there is already a pvr project on xbox !!!
http://dreamix.sourceforge.net/
but there's no news since april 2003...
i read that they gave up on the xbox idea (too expensive or too hard) and moved on to other hardware.
but in any case dreamix was supporse to run on xbox-linux and not on the xbox native os (xdk build).
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
some points to add to the discussion:

1) tivo streaming of prerecorded video to xbmp is working although it has some seeking bugs. i just checked it into cvs yesterday. xbmc support will soon come.

2) i'm working on streaming live continuous video from tivo to xbox. this is still in the early stages.

3) i've reverse engineered the usb stuff on the xbox to the point that i'm confident that creating a driver is possible. that said, there is, or at least used to be, a linux project for the hauppauge usb pvr. however it didn't support the tuner iirc. just input through composite. so its theoretically possible to add such support to the xbox. is the quality on the usb pvr good enough?

4) its also possible to have the video capture and processing on a pc which is completely controlled by the xbox. this has the benefit that you aren't limited to usb pvrs and support would be much better since you're using the native drivers. you also have more processing power as well.

there are pros and cons to all approaches.

duo
(d7o3g4q @ oct. 14 2003,16:40 Wrote:3) i've reverse engineered the usb stuff on the xbox to the point that i'm confident that creating a driver is possible.  that said, there is, or at least used to be, a linux project for the hauppauge usb pvr.  however it didn't support the tuner iirc.  just input through composite.  so its theoretically possible to add such support to the xbox.  is the quality on the usb pvr good enough?
i'm not a programmer or hw driver guru so i'm be a bit vague but this is partialy quoted from other dev, a techical overview:

to get any usb device to work on the xbox you will need to code 3 pieces of software.

1) usb driver for the xbox (open source)

2) driver for the specific usb device(open source)

3) control library for the specific device (hooks xbox sw would need to send/recieve data) (open source)

the first one as far as i know doesn't exist. the xbox only supports certain hardware on it's usb port(the gameport). being the game controllers & memory cards. that's it.

so, first off someone would have to code either a full usb driver for the xbox or a driver that adds support for just that specific device to the xbox. this is why everyone says it will be so hard. very few people have the expertise necesary to code such hardware drivers.

the second two pieces of software could maybe be found on the net, but maybe only for linux and then it would have to be ported to win32/xbox first, hopefully this opensource driver for the specific device would come from the manufacturer(one can hope)

maybe someone could as of the assistanse from the low-level guys at openxdk, teamassembly, xecuter, evox and/or avalaunch
i found a very interessting project "freevo"

freevo is an open-source digital video jukebox (pvr, dvr) based on linux in addition to a number of open-source audio/video tools. mplayer is used to play audio and video files. mplayer is an excellent media player that can play most popular file formats. freevo can be used both for a standalone pvr computer with a tv+remote, as well as on a regular desktop computer using the monitor and keyboard.

freevo is easy to download and install for new users. most hardware is supported (graphic boards, sound cards and video capture devices).

the freevo core is under heavy development. it is mostly written in the python programming language which is very well suited for high-level control applications like freevo.

http://freevo.sourceforge.net

++ edit: ++
here are two more very interessting projects
http://www.mythtv.org
http://mms.sunsite.dk

perhaps this help to get pvr to the xbox. :-)
(crashtron @ oct. 23 2003,07:51 Wrote:i found a very interessting project "freevo"
perhaps this help to get pvr to the xbox. :-)
no sorry, freevo runs under linux & thus uses linux device drives & api, a dev would still have to write/code all things i've mentioned above
the quality of the hauppage usb wintv's is pretty good.

two points i would like to make.

1) if support for these device is included in the linux kernel or as modules then the information is out there to write the drivers for xbox.

2) this would be a huge undertaking. with little gains.
(the xbox is not powerfull enough to record and play at the same time without hardware encoding decoding which is only available on pci models of the pvr.

on a seperate note if tivo is now funtional it would be simple to add replaytv support (old 5040 models can be had for as little as $200 same price as a pvr card.) it streams video natively via http:// function calls. check http://www.darkwoods.net/mirrors....pfs.htm for details on the httpfs protocol {readfile} is the command of interest. but using these command you could generate alist of available programs.
Big Grin 
(san9jay @ oct. 10 2003,14:17 Wrote:i think the point frodo is making is that they do not know the protocol used to talk to the wintv box.
hmmm... there is a working linux driver for hauppage wintv pvr usb devices.
http://pvrusb.sourceforge.net/
so it should be no big problem to get gentoox and freevo to work with this device. if i would have the money left over to buy such a device i would try it. maybe there is someone out there who wants to try it.
by the way... got a creative usb webcam to work under gentoox linux. linux usb support should not be the problem at all...

sven
try to contact wintv developers ....
i believe both them interest to make to work this thing. (they would increase the sales)
(derekz @ nov. 16 2003,21:27 Wrote:try to contact wintv developers ....
i believe both them interest to make to work this thing. (they would increase the sales)
hehe yeah and they would support a "half illegal" project. Image
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
(derekz @ nov. 16 2003,20:27 Wrote:try to contact wintv developers ....
i already done this long time ago (actually they contated me about advertisement) and they where not interested in helping out

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB TV-Turner adapters to Xbox/XBMC?0