Pre-flight playback with a quater of a second of near silent white noise.
I'd like it if XBMC could pre-flight playback with a quater of a second of near silent white noise.

Some Audio receivers that 'autodetect' their inputs have a tiny bit of lag in waking up. (ex. Teufal Decoderstation 5) This only affects decoded audio, as bitstream/transcoded will of course have a handshake that wakes the decoder, but analogue sound needs to be detected.

The idea would be for XBMC to output a barely noticable amount of white noise to 'wake up' any autodetecting audio decoders as part of the pre-flight on playback of decoded audio.
Have you tried the nightlies with AE? It streams silence to try keep connections alive. Note that you would have to add:

Code:
<audio>
  <streamsilence>1</streamsilence>
</audio>

to your advancedsettings.xml file.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Is that streaming a silent digital stream? Might not work with stereo analogue detection. I'll give it a test when I can.
Yes it is silent, and all streams are digital - we cannot output "analogue". If you mean PCM then yes, that's what you'll get.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Doesn't work on the latest Monthly on my ATV2. The setting appears to do nothing. (And yes, I meant to type PCM because it's over optical connection, but brainstupids and only had one cup of coffee today.)
Ahhh sorry barberio - that feature is only for Win/Linux - didn't realize you were on an ATV2
Is it going to be ported to ATV2, or are there issues with that?
Really up to a couple of devs who have been handling the CoreAudio side of things - will canvas them.
To add onto this question, do you possibly know if it outputs a near-silent stream for analog devices or completely silent that technically doesn't actually produce a sound, but rather does something else to trick the soundcard?
Basically, would this work for analog connections (composite/headphone)?

Thanks
"near silent white noise" ?
Near silent as in an actual signal would come out through the speakers, but that is too quiet for anyone to hear. Such as a 15-20Hz at a very low volume. Something that most speakers with their own timeout function could detect and then not go to standby, but that wouldn't be actually audible by anyone around.
"Honey, why is the dog barking?"
...um, I think is only high frequencies (20-40KHz). Though it does seem that <20Hz can still be heard by some people and with my luck, I'll be one of them.
This needs to be re-examined as it's been apparently decided not to port AE to embedded platforms, so the individual players need to pre-flight audio themselves. This is very much apparent on the RaspberryPi platform, where the audio hardware isn't initialised till the player starts outputting content. Currently I'm getting a little over a second of silence at the start of all media playback while using HDMI audio out to a Philips TV.

I suspect that this may even be solvable if the audio output was just kept open with zero packing to keep decoders awake when there's no playback.
RaspberryPi platform is just one of many embedded platforms that xbmc runs under, AE might not be running under RaspberryPi platform but it is a mistake to apply that logic to all embedded platforms.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pre-flight playback with a quater of a second of near silent white noise.0