If I move my shared library on my SMB Share. How do I preserve all the data?
My shared library is getting to large. I need to move it to a bigger hard drive, but don't want to lose my watched list checkmarks and resume spots. Are there any precautions I should take to ensure this? Thank you.
maybe a bit more info? mysql? where & how is your stuff stored? where would you like to move it to...... etc...
The files are on my desktop on the D:\ Drive. It's a shared library via mySQL. I want to move my files to the E:\ Drive and update all my xbmcs to point to the E:\ Drive for the files but retain the data on those files.
Two options I can think of:

1. In XBMC export library as separate files. Then move files, clean library, re-import. Not sure if this would preserve watched status or not.

2. Use symlinks to preserve the path. For example, move your d:\user\movies to e:\movies then create a symlink in d:\user named 'movies' that points to e:\movies. In effect you are fooling xbmc into thinking your media has not moved at all.

I don't know the syntax for symlinks in win7 but I very recently used the second method on my Ubuntu box with excellent results. A web search should get you instructions pretty quick.
Something like this would work for network to network locations changes, and would keep watched status.
I don't understand the problem, if you're using MySql then all your shared media libraries should be network paths. When you move d to e as long as you name the share on e the name of the previous share on d then xbmc and MySql shouldn't notice the difference. If you're using some sort of path substitution trickery then more info is needed.

Mike
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Remember that an e:\ or d:\ path doesn't work in mysql
You must use smb:// nfs:// or whatever
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-09-10, 08:18)Martijn Wrote: Remember that an e:\ or d:\ path doesn't work in mysql
You must use smb:// nfs:// or whatever

Bah, you're totally right. Brain fart on my end. They are SMB shares, and therefore wouldn't be specified by drive letter. I'll move it over after work and see how it goes. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
If I move my shared library on my SMB Share. How do I preserve all the data?1