Linux Ultimate all-in-one HTPC (xbmc+NAS+router+quality audio)
Hi guys,
i am finally moving into my own flat with big sofa and TV, so now for the most important part - awsome media center :)) I have no experience with HTPC, so I would like your help...

First things first - I have read both "Your Very First HTPC" and "Poofyhairguy's HTPC Recommendation Thread", and this was good starting point, but my idea is a little bit more - instead of having separate XBMC box, separate NAS, separate wifi router, I would love to build all-in-one. But since this would be running 24/7, it should not be power hungry beast :) And of course, it must be as quiet as possible...

So basically my idea is :

- Motherboard with integrated low-power CPU and ideally graphics too - powerfull enough to run 1080p (2D, i am not really fan of 3D)
- Some big "green" HD, for example 3TB WD Green for media storage
- Some small SSD for Linux+XBMC+other services (torrent downloader, routing software, FTP and SMB server ...)
- Since I have relatively good stereo (Denon 710ae + Magnat Quantum 555), but my amplifier doesnt have digital audio input, some good audio card into slot (some Asus Xonar will be fine; cheap audio codecs on motherboards are not an option)
- There must be WIFI adapter (since this will be access point+router for 1 other PC, tablet, phone, visitors :) - on motherboard, or card
- Some case to hold it all together, design is important, since this will be center of the living room
- Something to enable control of XBMC with some universal IR remote control (I would like to have 1 to control TV + amplifier + XBMC; possibly some logitech harmony...)

Well, and now for your help with picking right stuff - mainly motherboard+case+power supply.
1. Is there possibility to run this on some pico-PSU and really slim case? For example SILVERSTONE LC19B In this case, WIFI must be on motherboard, because there is only 1 extension slot (for Xonar)
2. If you would recommend bigger case with more powerfull PSU, I really like this one Zalman HD501, but I have no idea, what PSU shall I use for this case... some standard 300w seems like overkill (and power waste+noise..)
3. I have no idea which motherboard to pick (to ensure good compatibility with XBMC - i have read AMD have some trouble here..)

Well, thats about it for now, if i have forgotten something, ask... sorry for my bad english, and I am really looking forward to hear your tips :)
I am by no means a good source of advice, not like some of the other guys around here, but I can speak a little to the AMD compatibility issue you mentioned. I recently built a new HTPC to use as an XBMC front-end. I used an AMD A8 APU (CPU+GPU). After installing the PVR branch with XVBA support I get flawless video and audio using Ubuntu as a base. XBMC works great and I don't ever experience any lag or other weirdness. The only downside I personally have is that the APU doesn't handle the Wii emulator Dolphin worth a crap. I was hoping I could eliminate the physical Wii and just load my games in the emulator, but no luck. I would just recommend thinking about all of the programs you might want to run and doing a little research to find out if it is possible first. As far as Linux+XBMC+AMD though you should be golden with the right set-up.
If you want to use this as a server/NAS you should probably go with a bigger case than the LC19.
I love slim line cases, they usually don't have a lot o space for multiple HDDs.
there are alot of nice Cases I likeGD02MT, but its kinda expensive.
I am be no means an expert either but from reading a round and getting advise from the forum the parts below seem to be a pretty solid build:

3rd Generation Intel Core i3 3225 3.3GHz Socket LGA1155 (only released this week)
ASRock H77M Motherboard
64GB Crucial M4 for operating system
Western Digital 2TB SATA 6Gbps Power Saving Internal Hard Drive OEM - Caviar Green

I've ordered these parts but am still waiting for them to arrive.

I have a separate NAS so I'm not sure about putting everything in the one box... you may have cooling/noise issues.
(2012-09-08, 21:37)rouen_sk Wrote: - Motherboard with integrated low-power CPU and ideally graphics too - powerfull enough to run 1080p (2D, i am not really fan of 3D)
- Some big "green" HD, for example 3TB WD Green for media storage
- Some small SSD for Linux+XBMC+other services (torrent downloader, routing software, FTP and SMB server ...)
- Since I have relatively good stereo (Denon 710ae + Magnat Quantum 555), but my amplifier doesnt have digital audio input, some good audio card into slot (some Asus Xonar will be fine; cheap audio codecs on motherboards are not an option)
- There must be WIFI adapter (since this will be access point+router for 1 other PC, tablet, phone, visitors Smile - on motherboard, or card
- Some case to hold it all together, design is important, since this will be center of the living room
- Something to enable control of XBMC with some universal IR remote control (I would like to have 1 to control TV + amplifier + XBMC; possibly some logitech harmony...)

I have the exact same idea. What did you end up building? Did it work out?

Fanless Linux HTPC/NAS: Streacom FC10, ASUS P8H77-M PRO, i3-3225, Corsair LP White DDR3-1600, picoPSU-150-XT, 1x SSD 840, 2x HDD WD Red 3TB
Stats: 29W idle, 55W load, CPU 38-43°C idle, CPU 55-60°C load, HDD 42-43°C idle, HDD 47°C load

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ultimate all-in-one HTPC (xbmc+NAS+router+quality audio)1