Received all parts - pics included!
Finally all parts for my new HTPC have been recieved.
This is the final spec:
================
AMD A6-3500
ASRock A75M-ITX
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX
SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm Case Fan x 2
Silverstone ML03B
Silverstone Strider 400
Crucial 64GB SSD sata3
HP IR receiver

I got the stock cpu cooler installed and i would like to replace it with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B cooler.

Do I need to pull the MB from the case or it is possible to install the cooler on spot?
Should I clean the thermal paste already applied and paste the thermal that comes with the shuriken?

I will upload pics of the final build.

10x
the cooler have a backplate Image
clean the cpu and use the new thermal grease.
Nice parts.... you need to take off your mother board to install the new cooler... Smile Just what NIMO said...
Do you know if there is a video guide on how to install this cooler?
I've been looking for such video but no avail.

10x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EcKXj54uQI

Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
I have the same case on the way, was also looking at the SilenX 80mm fans. Would be interested in knowing how quiet they actually are, and how much air they can actually move.
(2012-09-10, 15:53)Arkitket Wrote: I have the same case on the way, was also looking at the SilenX 80mm fans. Would be interested in knowing how quiet they actually are, and how much air they can actually move.

You really won't need any case fans with the parts listed above.
The Shuirken does a masterful job all by itself,..and the case is airy with plenty of vents.

(2012-09-10, 17:23)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 15:53)Arkitket Wrote: I have the same case on the way, was also looking at the SilenX 80mm fans. Would be interested in knowing how quiet they actually are, and how much air they can actually move.

The Shuirken does a masterful job all by itself,..and the case is airy with plenty of vents.

That's what I figured, didn't add any on my initial order. Planned to check case temps and air flow after it was installed in the entertainment center and go from there.
(2012-09-10, 18:14)Arkitket Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 17:23)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:

That's what I figured, didn't add any on my initial order. Planned to check case temps and air flow after it was installed in the entertainment center and go from there.

I purchased them just in case.
HTPC will be stored in a closed drawer with only 1 ventilation hole.

How do you recommend me installing the case fans?
1 for pulling hot air and one for inserting air from outside?

(2012-09-11, 08:25)embedded Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 18:14)Arkitket Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 17:23)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: You really won't need any case fans with the parts listed above.

120mm fans would have been better in your application, they circulate more air for less speed hence quieter. You will need more than 1 ventilation hole as air will need to not only be sucked out but you also need somewhere for the cooler air to get in. I think this could be a challenge to keep a PC cool in a closed drawer.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-09-11, 09:11)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2012-09-11, 08:25)embedded Wrote:
(2012-09-10, 18:14)Arkitket Wrote: That's what I figured, didn't add any on my initial order. Planned to check case temps and air flow after it was installed in the entertainment center and go from there.

120mm fans would have been better in your application, they circulate more air for less speed hence quieter. You will need more than 1 ventilation hole as air will need to not only be sucked out but you also need somewhere for the cooler air to get in. I think this could be a challenge to keep a PC cool in a closed drawer.

David

The case can only handle 80mm fans.
I will try this way and monitor the temp.

what temps should I look for - on idle and when playing 720P movie?

(2012-09-11, 09:31)embedded Wrote:
(2012-09-11, 09:11)DavidT99 Wrote:
(2012-09-11, 08:25)embedded Wrote: I purchased them just in case.

David

The case can only handle 80mm fans.
I will try this way and monitor the temp.

what temps should I look for - on idle and when playing 720P movie?

Sorry, I thought you were using the fans on the drawer, I have the same case so I know the fans are limited in size. Only having the fans in the case makes cooling even more of a challenge, if the warm air can not get out of the drawer easily and cool air enter the drawer just as easily then you are merely recirculating the air which will drive up the temperature.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
I'm in the middle of building my new HTPC.
Win7 is already installed.

Now I'm installing the chipset and AGU drivers.

I changed the memory to 1600 in the bios and increased shared memory to 512 MB and noticed that CPU cooler 9big shuriken 2 rev b) speed is on level 2.

do you recommend changing this up?
I have 2 case fans I would like to use since the HTPC will sit in a drawer - I was thinking to install them both to take out hot air from the case outside.

what do you think?

pics will be uploaded once everything will be working....so stay tuned
Finally the HTPC is up and running - need to tweak it a little bit - but great progress.
Here are some pics:

Big shuriken is mounted on the mb:

All parts except the old HD:

All parts and final look:
Looking great so far!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Received all parts - pics included!0