New HTPC - Silverstone ML03 / Intel i3 - Advice needed
Question 
Hi there

After some bad luck with my Zotac Z-Box ND22, I decided to build my very first HTPC myself.
So there is plenty of information on the forums about various builds that I was able take advantage off (stealz tha buildz ^^), but since I do this for the first time, I'd appreciate some advice if the build looks solid or if I should change something.

Plan to use the HTPC for:
- Mainly watching low rez till 1080p movies with DTS sound.
- Probably use it for emulated games in the future

Storage:
- I attach 2 Western Digital myBook Elite USB 2.0 Disks to my HTPC where all my movies are stored, I don't have a NAS yet, investment planned in around 1 year.

Build I'm planning to buy:

[CASE] Silverstone SST-ML03B Micro Tower, mATX 1x 5.25", 2x 3.5"/2.5" , 2x USB3.0, Audio, Black
[PSU] Silverstone SST-ST40F-ES Strider Series - 400W
[MB] Asrock H77M, Intel H77 Chipset, 1155Pin, PCIE 3.0, DDR3, RAID, GLAN , SATA3, USB 3.0, CFX, mATX
[CPU] [changed, $ saving] Intel i3 3220, 2x 3.30GHz, 3MB Smart Cache, 22nm, HD Graphics 2500 , DDR3, Ivy Bridge, 55W
[RAM] [changed] Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 4GB KIT, 4GB, PC12800, 240Pin, CL9, (2x2GB), 1.50V , XMS3 Vengeance Series
[SSD] [already have it] 60GB Corsair FORCE SATA 3
[REMOTE] [already have it] FLIRC Dongle with Logitech Harmony One
[OS] Win 7 Home 64bit

Questions:
  1. I did have random movie stops in the middle of 1080p movies on my ND22. Movie stopped and returned to the menu (I opened several threads about this issue here with no real solution that worked). In the end the only thing I could do is to return my Z-Box cause it was likely a hardware error. Vendor didn't tell me if there was something broken and just returned my money. Alone from the hardware point of view, it's impossible that movies will be stuttering or stop, right? Smile
  2. If I'm planning to use FLIRC again to control my HTPC, no CIR Receiver is needed in the motherboard, right?
  3. With regards to question 2, I'm not sure about the MB. What I need is an optical output for my receiver and HDMI, the price is ok as well, but does it fit nicely so the front USB 3.0 work? Or is there a better alternative for the case ML03B?
  4. About the ram, are my Patriot 4 GB fine? They were again the cheapest I could find, but if there is a significant difference, compatibility or speed, I would consider spending more on them, for example 1600 MHz, would that help or just generate additional heat?
Yeah, that's it, not much else to tell expect that I'm already excited Big Grin . Looking forward for some feedback.
Not sure about question 1 or 3, but...
2) The Flirc dongle is the IR receiver so nothing else is required AFAIK

4) If you are going to get an Ivy Bridge CPU then take full advantage of it and go with 1600 MHz.

There is a few threads that have been started regarding the popularity of the i3-3225 and that it is potentially overkill. For a similar price you can get the G2120 and a discrete GPU if you plan on playing games. If not playing GPU intensive games then you could probably save yourself some money and go with the i3-3220 with the HD 2500 graphics.
If gaming is in the horizon, wouldn't it make sense to go the route of a discrete GPU anyways? Considering the games you plan on playing with a HTPC-reasonable GPU, I don't think you will be at all limited by the CPU, given the choice of a G630/G2120, and with the discrete GPU choice, of maybe a Geforce GT 430/Radeon HD 6570, your gaming options are a lot more open as compared to having the HD2500/4000. Obviously you could go with the i3+discrete, but this choice would keep you in the same price range as purchasing a i3 instead.

Also, not sure where you live, but if TigerDirect is an option, here is some Crucial 1600MHz RAM for $21 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...CatId=4534
I should point out that the i3-3225 is best suited for a machine that will be doing encoding/transcoding, using Intel Quicksync, etc.
1. Bad driver and wrong configuration can cause stuttering
2. AsRock is the most flexible, and some AsRock mobo can turn on/off HTPC with wireless keyboard
3. If your AVR have HDMI input, you don't need optical. You'll get the best video/audio through a single HDMI cable
4. 4GB of ram is plenty for HTPC.....regardless of the speed, most newer ram's will do just fine

You'll enjoy your new i3 with HD4000....you should be able to playback BD with ease and some games too....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
1: what kind of file (MKV, AVI, etc) what size file were you playing. I know that my external 2.0 usb HD wont play anything over 8gs.

also i had some issues with movies stopping and sending me back to menu with a lower powered htpc so i just chalked it up to that
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-09-11, 03:23)lagledavid Wrote: 1: what kind of file (MKV, AVI, etc) what size file were you playing. I know that my external 2.0 usb HD wont play anything over 8gs.

also i had some issues with movies stopping and sending me back to menu with a lower powered htpc so i just chalked it up to that
It doesn't sound right. I can playback blu-ray 1:1 ripped in MKV, M2TS, ISO, etc on my USB 2.0 drives, and some movie are nearly 50GB......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-09-11, 03:23)lagledavid Wrote: 1: what kind of file (MKV, AVI, etc) what size file were you playing. I know that my external 2.0 usb HD wont play anything over 8gs.

If you're interested about the details of the problems I had, here are the threads I described everything in:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112689
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110128 Starts at page 4
I think all of the movies it happened on were over 10GB, and I used a Zotac Z-Box ND22 with 4gigs of ram. Lots of other users didn't have any issues with this box though.

Quote:1. Bad driver and wrong configuration can cause stuttering
2. AsRock is the most flexible, and some AsRock mobo can turn on/off HTPC with wireless keyboard
3. If your AVR have HDMI input, you don't need optical. You'll get the best video/audio through a single HDMI cable
4. 4GB of ram is plenty for HTPC.....regardless of the speed, most newer ram's will do just fine

Thanks, I will stick with the Asrock than. It has both the HDMI and the optical, I know that I can play sound through HDMI as well, but I don't remember what was the problem with my receiver that I had to use optical. If I have both, I'm on the safe side Cool

I will go with 1600 MHz ram than. I'm just not sure if I should choose 1.50V or 1.65V rams:
http://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/articl...45931.aspx
or
http://www.steg-electronics.ch/de/articl...42628.aspx
Kingston or Patriot also have comparable rams I could choose.

Quote:If gaming is in the horizon, wouldn't it make sense to go the route of a discrete GPU anyways?
Thanks for the advice, but I will stick with the HD4000 so far, I can always add a discrete GPU once I need it.

Quote:There is a few threads that have been started regarding the popularity of the i3-3225 and that it is potentially overkill. For a similar price you can get the G2120 and a discrete GPU if you plan on playing games. If not playing GPU intensive games then you could probably save yourself some money and go with the i3-3220 with the HD 2500 graphics.

The price difference between all 3 CPUs is not so huge in Switzerland so I will stick with the i3-3225. Really cheaper I could only go with the AMD route, but I don't want that.
(2012-09-11, 03:37)bluray Wrote:

It doesn't sound right. I can playback blu-ray 1:1 ripped in MKV, M2TS, ISO, etc on my USB 2.0 drives, and some movie are nearly 50GB......

Good to hear, I'd like to keep my USB 2.0 drives a bit longer, hopefully I can do that with my new HTPC coming up.
(2012-09-11, 10:40)ecopsorn Wrote:
Quote:There is a few threads that have been started regarding the popularity of the i3-3225 and that it is potentially overkill. For a similar price you can get the G2120 and a discrete GPU if you plan on playing games. If not playing GPU intensive games then you could probably save yourself some money and go with the i3-3220 with the HD 2500 graphics.

The price difference between all 3 CPUs is not so huge in Switzerland so I will stick with the i3-3225. Really cheaper I could only go with the AMD route, but I don't want that.

Ah, ok then. Here in Canada the i3-3225 is ~$150, and the G2120 is ~$100. If they are very similar in price over there then it would make sense to go with the one that will give you the most for your money.
Quote:Ah, ok then. Here in Canada the i3-3225 is ~$150, and the G2120 is ~$100. If they are very similar in price over there then it would make sense to go with the one that will give you the most for your money.

Well I think the availability of the 3225 just saved me some money. There is not one store here in Switzerland that can tell me when they get the CPU again. I will go with the i3 3220 CPU than, which saves me approx. 20$, not a lot, but the i3 3220 with the 2500 GPU should be plenty to watch 1080p with high bit rates, right?

Another quick question, considering my build above, is there a need for case fans or is the CPU fan sufficient?
Yes and Yes

(2012-09-11, 22:15)Arkitket Wrote: Yes and Yes

Yes for case fans you mean? Blush
(2012-09-11, 23:33)ecopsorn Wrote:

Yes to CPU fan should be sufficient and yes that the i3-3220 w/ HD 2500 will be plenty
(2012-09-12, 00:07)Arkitket Wrote:

Yes to CPU fan should be sufficient and yes that the i3-3220 w/ HD 2500 will be plenty

thanks
(2012-09-12, 00:07)Arkitket Wrote:

I think the G2120 would also be OK.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC - Silverstone ML03 / Intel i3 - Advice needed0