UnRaid and SAB SICK ETC...
What is everyone using for a newserver? Are there free ones out there?
I am sure there are free ones, but they are most likely not as good as the paid ones. Take a look at Newshosting, and you can get a good unlimited deal if you google for it.
Check out Astraweb too. Their packages are about the same prices as Newshosting, but, unlimited per month download. Or, they have the one time payment packages of 1 TB for $50, then you download till you run out of bandwidth but don't pay any more. Since I can go months without downloading anything I don't really want a monthly payment plan that will cost me regardless of what I use.

However if you download a lot constantly then a monthly plan will be a better idea.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Money is tight so I was looking for free ones though if it's a good service I may just do it.
Supernews with a special link is also a good value.
Also because they use the same servers as giganews.
The free ones have mostly low retentions and speed.
And allot of incomplete.
Depending on your needs a block account if you don't download much.
If you download much then a monthly or yearly term.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
I am using Supernews with a special yearly deal thing. I download quite a bit, so this was the best approach for me.
I used to use Astraweb but it became less and less reliable. I've switched to http://www.usenetserver.com.
(2012-09-12, 14:37)TRaSH Wrote: Supernews with a special link is also a good value.
Also because they use the same servers as giganews.
The free ones have mostly low retentions and speed.
And allot of incomplete.
Depending on your needs a block account if you don't download much.
If you download much then a monthly or yearly term.

Special link? What is that?

A partner link. Some websites will provide a partner link to some usenet service providers where you can get a good deal on membership. Newshostings partner link has $9.99/month or $99.99/year for unlimited with 30 connections. You will also want a good usenet search provider, I recommend NZBMatrix, works with SAB and their VIP upgrade is only $10 fee that lasts for 10 years.

Remember, Usenet provides secure (read not ISP monitored) fast downloads, this doesn't come free. You might be able to find a free provider and use the free membership with NZBMatrix (limited to 10 dl's a day I believe), But as others have said, you will have bad retention and incomplete files and in the end you will have a bad experience with usenet.
Your own ISP should already offer 30 days retention.
(2012-09-12, 18:01)mr.sparkle Wrote: Your own ISP should already offer 30 days retention.

30 day retention? what is even the point of that? Most usenet users are looking to download binaries, chances are an ISP usenet server won't offer a large selection of binaries, especially with only 30 day retention

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UnRaid and SAB SICK ETC...0