Firewire MPEG2 Interface - How To Integrate Into XBMC?
I have just started using xbmc, and am interested in the possibility of adding firewire isochronous streaming into xbmc.
Suppose I have an implementation in c++ which can control a firewire hard drive recorder/player (avhdd - disc subunit type),
make avaliable a listing of its table of contents (recordings), provides transport control and random access to the transport streams,
and provides its own firewire isochronous streaming of ts packets to either file backed storage or maybe a memory buffer.

The possibilities include not only AVHDD's but tuner subunits as well as enabled (US) cable boxes.

I am looking for suggestions on specifically where to look in the xbmc source code base for where such a thing could be integrated?
Maybe such a thing is not feasible? I am somewhat surprised nobody has added a simple streaming interface to pull transport streams
from say Comcast cable boxes for live TV viewing, but maybe its because XBMC has only "recently" embraced DVR/PVR functionality (from what I see).

Thank you
sounds like this should be plugged at the vfs (virtual filesystem) level. a directory class to list the recordings, and a file class to read the streams. unless it can do full pvr, then you should do a pvr client.
I think that lots of stuff like this is added the TVheadend server backend instead of into XBMC, because they just work like a TV-tuner similar to HDHomeRun?

http://www.lonelycoder.com/tvheadend

So if that Firewire interface supports V4L2 / V4L (Video4Linux) or Linux DVB API then you just configure it in TVheadend server backend and use the TVheadend PVR client in XBMC.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139675

Otherwise maybe look at the HDHomeRun VFS code inside XBMC but I believe that long-term that will be moved to TVheadend or its own PVR client?
I ended up writing a PVR Add-On for both virtual & physical Disc Subunits which will run only on OSX atm due to a dependency on apples firewire sdk.

Thanks to the sources for the other PVR add on's I was able to implement the API. Thanks.
Cool *thumbs up*.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Firewire MPEG2 Interface - How To Integrate Into XBMC?0