Acer Revo RL70 won't play HD Movies?
Hello,

When i first got my Acer Revo RL70 with 4GB of ram i installed windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit onto it and was able to run the stable XBMC fine on it playing full 1080p 24hz movies, but i ended up breaking it after trying a few nightly builds and just couldn't get it working again with anything above SD, i was also using Boxee for windows which ran HD sound but with no 24hz.

So i have been running OpenElec for the past couple of months with no problems at all, i wanted to try with Windows again so i could access the internet and see if i could get it working from scratch but XBMC wont play 720p or above.....it just lags with no sound and plays about 5fps,and is even quite slow to start with SD stuff but Boxee loads all my Full HD movies quickly with no problems.......it looks like XBMC is running in software mode even though i have DXVA enabled.

I have tried a fesh install with XP 86/64 bit and a souped up gamer edition and with Windows 7 Home Premium/Basic and now have a tweaked gamer version of that installed too that is running very fast on everything apart from playing my movies 720p and above.

Anybody got any ideas what the problem may be?

Appreciate any help.
Sounds like you might have a graphics driver issue.
Have you installed the latest video driver?
Hi,

Yes, i am using the latest drivers, i used Driver Genius to update all my drivers. Its only with XBMC i have the problem.
I had a problem when I tried XP on my older Revo 3700 in that with the Eden release of XBMC I couldn't enable DXVA, I'm sure I read somewhere on this site at the time that Eden only supports DXVA2 which XP doesn't support, you may need to try Windows 7 to get hardware acceleration for your Revo or try an older build of XBMC

EDIT:
sorry just reread your post and you've tried Windows 7
I managed to get it working again....

I reformatted my PC and installed Windows 7 again but this time instead of using driver genius i used the old drivers from the acer website ad all is working fineSmile

I wonder if i should update now over the top of these drivers? or maybe this will break it again?

Cheers.
I haven't looked at the Acer website for a couple of months, but when I set up a friends RL70 a while back I found after using the drivers from it I had to get newer AMD drivers from the AMD site (they have a nice scan your system feature which will get you the best drivers for the APU on the RL70)
(2012-09-11, 19:20)jpop Wrote: I managed to get it working again....

I reformatted my PC and installed Windows 7 again but this time instead of using driver genius i used the old drivers from the acer website ad all is working fineSmile

I wonder if i should update now over the top of these drivers? or maybe this will break it again?

Cheers.

No,..leave it,..if it works leave it.

Glad to hear that it's working now. Pretty frustrating I'm sure.
Thanks for the help guys!

I may make a system restore point and upgrade the drivers but not for a few days yet....time to relax and watch a couple of movies.

Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo RL70 won't play HD Movies?0