NAS recommendations
(2012-09-16, 16:04)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: Can you go headless with the Windows server route? I like how you can access the synology through the web browser.

Sure.
I build my NAS using a NORCO 24 bay case, threw an mobo/cpu/RAM (currently an I3-2100) in it. I started with WHSv1 at first, moved to the new version but had issues with it. Moved to Win7 which worked fine. But figured why let my Technet sub go to waste and now run WS2k8R2. Hooked it up to my TV via HDMI and plugged in a keyboard and mouse to get it set up initially. But once the OS is installed there's only a power cable and network cable plugged in and I just use remote desktop to admin it. And being it's windows, there's very little limit as to what you can run on it.

For my hardware, I started off with SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8s and 4 2TB HDs running as JBOD and added HDs over time. But after I got up to about 8 drives I splurged on a ARC-1880IX-16 raid card (found someone selling one new for ~$500 to put off the $1200 for a 24 drive card until I need it) and a dozen more drives (some are JBOD), and moved my TV and movies over to Raid-5 to help avoid any catastrophes (everything else that's important is mirrored on my regular PC and/or backed up elsewhere).

Works for me and I still have room to grow if I ever need it.

Might be a little extreme for some. But you can get a smaller 10 bay case for $80 which still gives plenty of room to expand as needed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS recommendations0