Android - G-Box Midnight HTPC

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Votes - 3.67 Average
jangobounty Offline
Hello Everyone!

Below you will find information on yet another Android set top box, the G-Box Midnight.

G-Box Midnight
http://androidtvbox.us/products/g-box-midnight/
  • Mali400 High Performance HD GPU
  • A9 Neon Cortex CPU
  • 1GB RAM
  • 4GB* Storage
  • USB/SD Storage Extendable
  • 802.11n 150mbps Wifi
  • 10/100 Ethernet Port
  • HDMI Out
  • A/V Out
  • 4x USB 2.0 Ports

Where to Buy?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BWC3J4
Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/dreemusa/m.html?..._Streamers

Latest Firmware

G-Box Midnight Update v.9-25-12 get it here:
http://androidtvbox.us/wp-content/upload...120925.rar
Quote:This update fixes the following issues: rogue CPU process causing lag (8-11 rom), wifi stability issues (8-11 / 9-15 rom), Netflix supported (9-15 rom), other misc. small bugs and stability changes.

If you are running rom v. 8-11 then this is a critical update. The 8-11 rom had a process that would begin and never end, causing the the system to slow down and get very warm from excessive CPU cycles being used. If you have updated to 9-15, then this version will bring back Netflix support.

G-Box Midnight Update v.9-15-12 get it here:
http://androidtvbox.us/wp-content/upload...120915.rar
Quote:This update improves Wifi and overall system stability from the factory installed ROM. If you updated your Midnigh to the 8-11 update previously and lost your wifi connectivity as a result, this update will fix this problem. The 8-11 update is missing the drivers for our 5volt designed Midnight. To find out if you have a 5volt Midnight you can check at the power adapter. If it is rated at 5v, then the 8-11 update will break your wifi. Please use this new update to restore wifi to your device. This image contains Netflix and YouTube. XBMC will have to be installed separately.

Older Firmware 8/11:
http://androidtvbox.us/wp-content/upload...1-root.rar

Runs XBMC 7/30 Build from Pivos get it here:
http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=847

[Image: nD0gE.jpg]

[Image: EEJ5k.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 2012-10-05 04:46 by jangobounty.)
find quote
solamnic Offline
Posting Freak
Waiting anxiously for your review.... (because i was thinking of buying one Smile )...
find quote
mrdally204 Offline
Fan
I have both the Midnight and Dyno on the way to my home along with the Gyro mouse this seller is offering. I plan on giving it a great run through with various codecs and bitrates. I also plan on opening the box to see what we have under the hood. Stay tuned, should be here by the weekend, review to follow!
find quote
jangobounty Offline
(2012-09-13 03:43)mrdally204 Wrote:  I have both the Midnight and Dyno on the way to my home along with the Gyro mouse this seller is offering. I plan on giving it a great run through with various codecs and bitrates. I also plan on opening the box to see what we have under the hood. Stay tuned, should be here by the weekend, review to follow!

Hello MrDally!

Would you mind posting your thoughts in this thread? I was thinking we could turn this into one of those "owner" threads. Its really hard to find a single location to discuss this device. Maybe I should modify the title?

Thanks!
(2012-09-12 14:29)solamnic Wrote:  Waiting anxiously for your review.... (because i was thinking of buying one Smile )...

It sounds like MrDally is going to beat me to the punch! Just curious, are you looking at any other Android devices?
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-13 04:47 by jangobounty.)
find quote
BORIStheBLADE Offline
Fan
(2012-09-13 03:43)mrdally204 Wrote:  I have both the Midnight and Dyno on the way to my home along with the Gyro mouse this seller is offering. I plan on giving it a great run through with various codecs and bitrates. I also plan on opening the box to see what we have under the hood. Stay tuned, should be here by the weekend, review to follow!

Thanks for wanting to share this info with us! I will be waiting for your comment on the hardware.

find quote
solamnic Offline
Posting Freak
(2012-09-13 04:44)jangobounty Wrote:  

Hello MrDally!

Would you mind posting your thoughts in this thread? I was thinking we could turn this into one of those "owner" threads. Its really hard to find a single location to discuss this device. Maybe I should modify the title?

Thanks!
(2012-09-12 14:29)solamnic Wrote:  Waiting anxiously for your review.... (because i was thinking of buying one Smile )...

It sounds like MrDally is going to beat me to the punch! Just curious, are you looking at any other Android devices?

I was only interested in this one cause it seems to have a powerful chipset (android devices with m1 chipset are tooo SLOW from what i ve read )...

(2012-09-13 08:52)lisarose416 Wrote:  I haven't had any show stoppers appear besides the normal "alpha" issues.
[Image: xiaowang0.jpg]
[Image: xiaowang1.jpg]
[Image: xiaowang2.jpg]
[Image: xiaowang3.jpg]
[Image: test3.jpg]

I think the images's links are broken Smile
http://www.futeko.com/products/MP00039.php

Btw this one has the exact same chipset but it can use also an internal hard drive..

(what troubles me is that there is no HD audio passthrough (i dont know if it is a limit of the chipset or the current Android XBMC version))...
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-13 09:19 by solamnic.)
find quote
Beer40oz Offline
Donor
(2012-09-13 06:55)BORIStheBLADE Wrote:  

Thanks for wanting to share this info with us! I will be waiting for your comment on the hardware.

Same here... and hello there! Blush
find quote
jangobounty Offline
(2012-09-13 09:09)solamnic Wrote:  (what troubles me is that there is no HD audio passthrough (i dont know if it is a limit of the chipset or the current Android XBMC version))...

I think this is an issue just related to licensing so hopefully we will have surround sound on Android XBMC soon! Can anyone else confirm the state of HD / DTS on android?

I just received mine!
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-13 19:13 by jangobounty.)
find quote
jangobounty Offline
The packaging is great and the device itself is really small.

Streaming 1080p MKV 18+gigs appears flawless. I can confirm PseudoTV is functioning properly, the guide is very responsive!
Right now its scraping my media much faster than my Boxee.
find quote
FNwoz Offline
I apologize as I posted in another thread similar to this one. Anyone have any idea how it compares to the Pivos Xios DS? I just got one a few days ago and loaded it up with the Linux version of XBMC. Seemed to work ok however it quit working within a few days. I just sent it back for a refund as of right now. Other then the fact it didn't last very long it seemed to be an OK unit. The remote is very cheap though. I am really entertaining this as a replacement since it is slightly cheaper and more powerful. Plus the remote looks much better. Not knowing much about android I am a little nervous as to how much support one will receive with this unit. The pivos forums seem really good and they are updating things all the time.
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-13 21:14 by FNwoz.)
find quote
solamnic Offline
Posting Freak
Pivos Xios i think has the m1 chipset vs m3 on this one... (that is actually much faster....)

i m thinking of buying for futeko.com a unit with the m3 and the ability to use an internal Hard drive...

Waiting for more feedback though from mr jango that got the unit.. Smile
find quote
Bram77 Offline
Skilled Python Coder
Will the Motorola Xbmc romte by Pulse eight work with this machine? I'm thinking about buying one but I really want to keep using the excelent remote.
And does it have spdif or analog audio output. I really need that.

[Image: widget]

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-13 23:16 by Bram77.)
find quote
mrdally204 Offline
Fan
I will not be able to answe that question Bram77, but going by this sentence I saw in on of the remotes reviews, it should work
"Switching over to Windows, the NYXboard installed without special drivers as a “HID Keyboard Device”. "

As it shows as a simple HID device, it should not have an issue plugging and playing.

Device is shown as shipped, but I have yet to receive it. I hope it gets here this weekend so I can have some time to play with it. For those on the fence, give me some ideas or samples you would like me to try out and see if this can take the heat. If there are certain video files you would like me to benchmark with, I am willing to give it a go!
find quote
jangobounty Offline
(2012-09-13 22:49)solamnic Wrote:  Pivos Xios i think has the m1 chipset vs m3 on this one... (that is actually much faster....)

i m thinking of buying for futeko.com a unit with the m3 and the ability to use an internal Hard drive...

Waiting for more feedback though from mr jango that got the unit.. Smile

My wife and I have been streaming tv and movies on this all day! XBMC Android obviously has some bugs but thats going to get better over time. This device has the power to play your content so if you are interested in an Android device now I would go for it!

Right now we are streaming over ethernet from a NAS and the only big issue that bugs me is fast forward/seeking. Sometimes it just fails to do so but I chalk this up to XBMC Android being in its early stage. Also, some apps are updated to hide the Android (4.0) bar at the bottom of the screen but XBMC does not. I would expect this to be fixed soon as well.

If you have any specific questions let me know.
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-14 02:53 by jangobounty.)
find quote
jangobounty Offline
(2012-09-13 23:13)Bram77 Wrote:  Will the Motorola Xbmc romte by Pulse eight work with this machine? I'm thinking about buying one but I really want to keep using the excelent remote.

I would like to get the Pulse Eight remote as well. Id assume it works but you might have to map the keys in android. Since this hardware is so similar to the Pivos (although faster!) I would ask in their forums. Someone has to be using a different remote on that device.

(2012-09-13 23:13)Bram77 Wrote:  And does it have spdif or analog audio output. I really need that.
It does have spdif output, its on the back and labeled properly. Also, I didnt expect it would come with RCA cables but it did! Here is some proof Big Grin
[Image: 3POAC.png]

[Image: Q1Zg8.png]
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-14 02:56 by jangobounty.)
find quote