Help! Glitchy Menu Item...
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with a main menu item I've created in Aeon MQ3. I've created a menu item titled "Tech" and included some add-ons in the tray under it. Unfortunately, the menu isn't working properly. For some reason, pressing the down arrow when hovering over "Tech" simply moves the menu, as if there were nothing in the tray. If I hold down the down arrow, the menu moves up and down and eventually the tray flickers for a moment but I can't get it to stay (and therefore can't access those add-ons without going through the Add-Ons item. I thought it might be the fact that the menu item itself is not a shortcut to anything, but I have another shortcut-less item next to it titled "News" with a few more add-ons that works perfectly. Anyone seen this before and know why it's happening?

Thanks,
Alec
Without sounding like a broken record, the first thing to do is to exit XBMC, rename your guisettings.xml file then go back in. Yes, you will have to reconfigure all your skins from scratch but to me it look like this file has either become bloated or has some corrupt entries in it.

If you find the issue to be elsewhere or the same issue occurs when you set-up the Main Menu again, you can always just copy the old file back to replace the new one.
(2012-09-12, 09:07)chippie Wrote: Without sounding like a broken record, the first thing to do is to exit XBMC, rename your guisettings.xml file then go back in. Yes, you will have to reconfigure all your skins from scratch but to me it look like this file has either become bloated or has some corrupt entries in it.

If you find the issue to be elsewhere or the same issue occurs when you set-up the Main Menu again, you can always just copy the old file back to replace the new one.

@chippie thanks for the reply. Not the most ideal solution but I'll give it a try. Sorry for asking something if it's been asked before, I tried my best to scour the forums for a solution and couldn't find one. Thanks!
lol!

No you were not! and it is a learnig curve as with everyhitng but generally most issues similar to yours are either caused by a corrupt installation of the skin or an issue with the guisettings.xml file.

I did not mean my post to sound harsh Big Grin

Let us know how you get on as it could be somehting else causing this of course.
Hey chippie, thanks for the help. I'm actually using XBMC on a mac, however, and there doesn't appear to be a guisettings.xml file anywhere within the XBMC package. There is, however, an "xbmc.gui" folder with two files in it. The first is addon.xml, which reads:

Quote:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<addon id="xbmc.gui" version="3.00" provider-name="Team XBMC">
<requires>
<import addon="xbmc.core" version="0.1"/>
</requires>
<extension-point id="skin" schema="skin.xsd"/>
<extension-point id="webinterface" schema="webinterface.xsd"/>
</addon>

and the second is skin.xsd, which reads

Quote:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE schema PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XMLSCHEMA 200102//EN" "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.dtd">
<xsConfusedchema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<xs:element name="extension">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:attribute name="point" type="xsConfusedtring" use="required"/>
<xs:attribute name="id" type="simpleIdentifier"/>
<xs:attribute name="name" type="xsConfusedtring"/>

<xs:attribute name="defaultresolution" type="xsConfusedtring" use="required"/>
<xs:attribute name="defaultresolutionwide" type="xsConfusedtring" use="required"/>
<xs:attribute name="defaultthemename" type="xsConfusedtring" use="required"/>
<xs:attribute name="effectslowdown" type="xs:float"/>
<xs:attribute name="debugging" type="xs:boolean"/>

</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xsConfusedimpleType name="simpleIdentifier">
<xs:restriction base="xsConfusedtring">
<xs:pattern value="[^.]+"/>
</xs:restriction>
</xsConfusedimpleType>
</xsConfusedchema>

Do you know which should be renamed? Or should I rename the entire folder? I don't want to rename the entire folder in case XBMC will not create a new version upon launch.
Nevermind, false alarm. For anyone who finds this thread from now on, the guisettings.xml file is located at...

Quote:Mac OS X: /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/

(from http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata_folder )
Unfortunately, however, renaming the guisettings file and starting from scratch didn't work. This time, it was another custom menu item that wouldn't open its tray, and the only solution I could come up with was disabling that item and enabling another identical one a few spaces down. I know it was one of the Add-On slots, so maybe it's the same slot that was broken before and it's just broken so that no matter what you put there won't open. That's my only guess... oh well.
That is weird! If you remove that item you should be able to see what that space is named or be able to count from one fo the default spots so that Marcos can look at the issue. Perhaps you can re-enable the Item, turn on debug mode. Exit XBMC go back in then try the borked Menu. After that just exit XBMC again and send Marcos your log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help! Glitchy Menu Item...0