Test for pixel count in an image?
(2012-09-12, 19:02)Martijn Wrote: i think you cannot.

we aim to eventually replace every logo with the higher res one.
currently the lower aligned logo don't look that great so that's why we changed it after upgrading the resolution

The logo's where bottom aligned for a reason.Rolleyes From a skinning perspective it looks much better when the logo's can be bottom aligned with some certainty. Centre aligned logo's make that more difficult because the logo will move up/down within a given space. This is more evident when the space used is limited or you want them aligned in a horizontal list relative to other info.
(2012-09-19, 06:31)Steveb Wrote:
(2012-09-12, 19:02)Martijn Wrote: i think you cannot.

we aim to eventually replace every logo with the higher res one.
currently the lower aligned logo don't look that great so that's why we changed it after upgrading the resolution

The logo's where bottom aligned for a reason.Rolleyes From a skinning perspective it looks much better when the logo's can be bottom aligned with some certainty. Centre aligned logo's make that more difficult because the logo will move up/down within a given space. This is more evident when the space used is limited or you want them aligned in a horizontal list relative to other info.

I have heard nothing else than complaints about the bottom align from skinners
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Is that right, I can't understand why, it's a clear png and the bottom align just helps locate each logo in a given space. Care to elaborate on the complaints you've heard about bottom v centred alignment.
Seeing as all skins are currently using the bottom aligned logos some views will need to be altered to suit the centre aligned ones and a mix of centre and bottom aligned logo's looks crap. Wink
I'm not totally sold on the need for HD logo's, 800x310 really Smile , that's nearly a quarter of a full HD resolution. I've tried some and when they are scaled down they look no better, but hey if you want to squander bandwidth on something so trivial its up to you..Wink
Personally, I don't mind bottom or centered aligned logo. As long as they are all bottom or centered aligned and not a mix of both.

As for the size, 800x310 could make nice view with a big logo taking 1/4 of the screen and only the fanart behind.
The size really is not the issue. I remember in this forum when the idea of logo's was first introduced, everybody had there input and a STANDARD was set of 400x155 bottom aligned. I don't think I have to go into the reasons for a standard (or do I)..Rolleyes but I can't remember anybody voicing any concerns over that standard. If you decide to scale up the resolution to a better quality image the same standard should apply or the whole thing looks like crap and things become a mess, which is what some people seem determined to do!
(2012-09-20, 00:19)Steveb Wrote: The size really is not the issue. I remember in this forum when the idea of logo's was first introduced, everybody had there input and a STANDARD was set of 400x155 bottom aligned. I don't think I have to go into the reasons for a standard (or do I)..Rolleyes but I can't remember anybody voicing any concerns over that standard. If you decide to scale up the resolution to a better quality image the same standard should apply or the whole thing looks like crap and things become a mess, which is what some people seem determined to do!

That is your opinion. If you don't like it that's fine. We decided to change it and that is final. We are not gonna change it back. Besides that I know for sure that several skinners preferred it center aligned a while ago.
When I proposed the new logos no one complained including you and the mods of fanart.tv also agreed on this would be better.

It's not a opinion mate, it's a fact! As for the mod of fanart.tv, yes there full of good ideas, like banner images for movies and music.. LOL. Never mind, I can see your determined to defend bad ideas. Have a nice day. Big Grin
(2012-09-20, 00:53)Steveb Wrote: It's not a opinion mate, it's a fact! As for the mod of fanart.tv, yes there full of good ideas, like banner images for movies and music.. LOL. Never mind, I can see your determined to defend bad ideas. Have a nice day. Big Grin

Well your fact is wrong. If you disagree start your own sites and write your own script and start uploading your own logos.
Be grateful some one else does this and sorry but really don't care of the opinion of one person.
That's the final word on it.
Besides that I'm an admin there.

(2012-09-20, 00:19)Steveb Wrote: but I can't remember anybody voicing any concerns over that standard.

I was one of those vocal opponents to bottom-aligned. I quite clearly remember saying right from the beginning the logos should be centered but I was shot down by everyone else. The problem I see with HD logos are
  • There's so many SD logo that will now have to be redone.
I've contributed over 850+ logos and I can't see myself having the time to invest in redoing all of those images again.

• The sources for some of the obscure tv shows aren't the best.
A lot of those images I contributed, I'd say somewhere around 80 - 85%, the source material was so poor I had to recreate the image by hand. There just isn't a supply of the logos in such a high resolution.

While I welcome the change to center-aligned, this is something that should have been done much, much sooner IMO.

I agree that center should have been done from the start. Remember that nothing is lost and we don't expect anyone redoing their work. It's just that we felt it had to be done even though it is to late
I know your a admin there, and that's likely the problem. I think your more suited to the tvdb site where most of the self-righteous, arrogant mods hang out.Smile I'm a bit embarrassed that the dev's let you in to the xbmc team to be honest (and that is a opinion). Wink and that's my final word on the matter. lol.
(2012-09-20, 01:30)Steveb Wrote: and that's my final word on the matter. lol.
i really hope so. your words weren´t worth reading.

concerning the topic:
i´m also supporter of center-aligned logos esp. because clearart can only be used bottom-aligned. better to have both alternatives i think. don´t know if mixing them is the best way to go though.
if the texture stuff from jmarshall works out and we skinners have the possibilty to properly check file existence then why not havin both exist next to each other?
skinners could pick then pick the one which suits best to usage scenario best in terms of picture quality and alignment and choose the other one as fallback if wanted.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Test for pixel count in an image?0