Req OPUS Codec
Are there any plans to and when to support the new opus codec specified in RFC 6716?

Would love to hear that Smile
it will come in with the next ffmpeg update.
It didn't come. Current beta with recent ffmpeg doesn't support Opus yet. It's probably one-line fix. However it would be the best to add direct support by libopus or libopusfile.

Libopusfile API is almost identical to libvorbisfile, so it's really straightforward job to support opus in a native way.
(2012-12-12, 19:30)tomaszg Wrote: It didn't come. Current beta with recent ffmpeg doesn't support Opus yet. It's probably one-line fix. However it would be the best to add direct support by libopus or libopusfile.

Libopusfile API is almost identical to libvorbisfile, so it's really straightforward job to support opus in a native way.

It didn't come because there is no version bump yet and won't be for Frodo
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Ok, I see. I'm using Gentoo, so my XBMC build uses external ffmpeg. Thus I'll try patching it myself.
Now that ffmpeg has been updated, I think it's time to bump this thread.
was Opus ever added?
(2014-01-14, 17:04)nekrosoft13 Wrote: was Opus ever added?

Nope, and neither was speex.

The version of ffmpeg that's in Gotham actually does support both formats, but only if compiled with --enable-libspeex and --enable-libopus.

Flyingrat did post some builds test builds with speex and opus enabled in the ffmpeg version bump thread, but it looks like that change was never merged with the main branch. It was probably just forgotten.

Gotham is in feature freeze, but is adding those two missing arguments (and possibly adding the file extensions) really a "feature"? Wink
get libspeex and libopus to compile for osx/ios/android/windows and we can talk about it after gotham (if there are no licensing issues or so)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-01-15, 01:38)Memphiz Wrote: get libspeex and libopus to compile for osx/ios/android/windows and we can talk about it after gotham (if there are no licensing issues or so)

I've done that for windows a while ago. So as you said, we won't have time before gotham got released.
(2014-01-15, 09:56)ace20022 Wrote:
(2014-01-15, 01:38)Memphiz Wrote: get libspeex and libopus to compile for osx/ios/android/windows and we can talk about it after gotham (if there are no licensing issues or so)

I've done that for windows a while ago. So as you said, we won't have time before gotham got released.

that really sucks Sad

You could have at least allowed XBMC to use Opus via FFmpeg when it is available...
Could you elaborate on that?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
if OPUS_FOUND
add_to_ffmpeg_configure(--enable-libopus)
endif
Not only that. XBMC allows building with external libraries (also for FFmpeg), so it could just read a list of decoders/demuxers provided by available libraries. I guess Opus is only one example of decoder that is optional in FFmpeg and I believe that power of open source is flexibility Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OPUS Codec0