possible onboard video problems?
so i decided to post this here as it is off-topic from xbmc technically, but it has to do with hardware

i built a build a little while back, only to find out that i could not get 5.1 passthrough and i needed a motherboard with 5.1 output (to my home theatre) OR buy a sound card
so i bought a motherboard to replace my old one
here's my build:
ASRock A75M FM1 (with hdmi out, spdif)
32gb kingston SSD
AMD A4-3300 APU
kingston valueram 4gig

the rest is irrelevant (case, fan,etc)
so i originally had my build, with hdmi out, with the ASRock A55M motherboard...which i returned to get the A75M
I had installed XBMCBuntu on the SSD...left everything as is, and switched the motherboard
I popped in the A75M..and now..NOTHING
the fans come on, the power LED comes on...lights on the keyboard and mouse light up...but there is NO video output...i'm outputting to my TV..so when the htpc is off, I get "check signal cable"..when i turn it on, i get "no signal"...meaning it detects power, but nothing is being sent through the cable

things I have tried:
  • cleaning out cpu/apu and heatsink
  • switching RAM slots
  • disconnecting all peripherals other than cpu and ram (no SSD, etc)
  • clearing cmos...by using jumper and battery
  • trying a different hdmi cable (that i knew worked from a different device)
  • trying a different input in the tv (both different hdmi input..and even tried the d-sub in/out from the mobo/tv)

i really want to avoid returning this motherboard...i've seen tons of other people with similar problems..i've tried their solutions and nothing
i had gotten a short beep during POST..clearing cmos stopped the beep, but i still don't get any video

if anyone has any hint of what could be causing this, you would be my saviour...newegg is fucking killing me paying return shipping for their defective products (this could potentially be the second one on this build)
like i said, tons of people have this motherboard and it works without a problem with an EXTREMELY low DOA %..and a lot of people have had similar problems with motherboards...i just don't want to end up shipping it back and forth again just to end up with the same problem
let me know what you guys think..
I know that sounds stupid but did you make sure that you've plugged the CPU power cable from your PSU?
I'm not talking about the wide thing. I'm talking about a 4 pins square plug situated next to your cpu.
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2012-09-12, 19:38)ArieS Wrote: I know that sounds stupid but did you make sure that you've plugged the CPU power cable from your PSU?
I'm not talking about the wide thing. I'm talking about a 4 pins square plug situated next to your cpu.

oh, forgot to mention that as well..yes, i checked that multiple times as some people said that even if it's just loose, it could cause problems...but nothing
it's an 8pin on the motherboard..my psu has a 4 pin..so i checked it twice to make sure i was even in the correct slots..
1. Update the BIOS
2. Hook the PC up to a monitor and make sure it is all working.

I know that with the original bios version of certain ASRock mother boards it would not output HDMI until you updated the BIOS. It was a little oopsie on their part.
(2012-09-12, 19:22)truthlesshero Wrote: ..newegg is killing me paying return shipping for their defective products

NewEgg is great on shipping times to you, but horrible when dealing with returns.
But if it's defective, you have the right to demand that they pay for shipping.
I brought the wrong PSU,...and immediately ordered the correct one the next day.
I also RMA'd the wrong PSU back to them but I had to pay $16 out of my pocket.
I called the customer service and explained that I brought a replacement from them,..and they agreed to refund the $16.00
That's why I like Amazon,..they take almost anything back at their cost.

On another note,..have you tried plugging into a standard VGA port of a monitor?
Do you have a spare video card that you could also test?

The fact that it's beeping on post is very suspicious of it being DOA,..or a missing plug.

(2012-09-12, 20:02)KraziJoe Wrote: 1. Update the BIOS
2. Hook the PC up to a monitor and make sure it is all working.

I know that with the original bios version of certain ASRock mother boards it would not output HDMI until you updated the BIOS. It was a little oopsie on their part.

update the bios? but wouldn't that not affect the d-sub (VGA)? I tried the VGA output and nothing came out...same errors (no signal when on...check cable when off)

(2012-09-12, 20:26)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-09-12, 19:22)truthlesshero Wrote: ..newegg is killing me paying return shipping for their defective products

NewEgg is great on shipping times to you, but horrible when dealing with returns.
But if it's defective, you have the right to demand that they pay for shipping.
I brought the wrong PSU,...and immediately ordered the correct one the next day.
I also RMA'd the wrong PSU back to them but I had to pay $16 out of my pocket.
I called the customer service and explained that I brought a replacement from them,..and they agreed to refund the $16.00
That's why I like Amazon,..they take almost anything back at their cost.

On another note,..have you tried plugging into a standard VGA port of a monitor?
Do you have a spare video card that you could also test?

The fact that it's beeping on post is very suspicious of it being DOA,..or a missing plug.

I know! amazon is where its at...they are crazy good for customer support...well, in my experience so far anyway

i tried VGA (d-sub) into the tv since it does have that input..i haven't tried just a monitor...but since the tv has it, it should work as well and didn't when i tried..
it's smelling more and more like a doa and that will piss me off extremely..i've been trying to build this htpc for a month now =-\
wish we had computer shops where i live
I had a similar problem with a build.

It turned out that the ram was not properly recognized by the board and the board set the wrong voltage and timings for the ram. It would not POST. I couldn't get into the bios to change the settings.

I kept trying to power on while switching out the sticks of ram, trying all combinations and finally one time, it posted and I got into BIOS. After I set the correct voltage and timings, it booted up and the screen came on. I no longer have any problems (I guess until the CMOS battery dies :-)

If you can, try to put in a different stick of ram (one that would be recognized) and change the voltage settings in the BIOS. It might help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
possible onboard video problems?0