Diy or Existing device
Hey Guys, I'm new at this forum. But i'm an big xbmc fan.

I'm on a mission to make the ultimate media server for my sisters boyfriend (Dick is his name). As a gift.

I have xbmc on a highend pc, xbox (the first type) and an atv 2.
I don't like the atv 2 and the xbox can't play mkv (maybe an update would do the trick. I haven't touched it over a few years). I'm using my pc now and it works great. Fast en stable. Airplay works. The atv is to slow for me and crashes all the time, i guess its my very large library.

(off topic: i also hve an mede8er 500x (500gb internal and 750 external) (nice player) and the onboard Panasonic Media center)

Well, Dick is very new to media server/players/streamers.
So i will help my sister to decide wat to get for him. His demands are:
- Airplay (apple laptop and Phone 3gs)
- Xbmc
- Hd 720p/1080p Mkv
- Able to connect an external Hdd
- Network Connection (cable)
- a nice woman proof remote (for my sister) and scrolling down the music fast (like the oldskool xbox with controller)
- And the stability (like my pc)
- And a small size like an normal media player. (desktop pc is too big)
Our demands:
- The costs

What options do i have. I've searched the internet. And the hits are:
- Apple tv (atv 2)
- Raspberry Pi ?? I Know what it is but is it fast and stable.

(secretly: i'd like to build an diy. I like the challenge, its fun)

Greetings from Holland

For some guys who need the information,
My pc:
Amd 985 phenom x4 c2 (running at 3,95 Ghz)
Crossfire 3x amd Radeon hd6320 Cards (hdmi etc)
8gb Ram
5 TB Hdd for media
250 gb Solid State\ windows 7 64bit ultimate.
Memory, Cpu and Gpu Liquid Cooled
Xbmc Eden

Atv 2
xbmc Eden (beta 2)
I only use the atv for synchronising my Iphone 4s. And airplay somethimes. I hate the atv. It sucks.

Mede8er
(last driver) I'm using it as an Nas. For my music files. And with external hdd (for old 700mb movies. Too play on my xbox upstairs (never done that but ok)).

Xbox
Don't know (have to plug it in to see) But works like a charm. Without mkv but looking at the age, well...
What kind of storage with Dick need for media? Will it be separate from the media player or is it preferred to be internal to the media player? That will have a big impact on the size of the system.
The storage, not much.i forgot to say he wants to hook up an extern hdd. But internal all the space can be used for the os and xbmc. (maybe some space but thats not neccesary).

The mass of media files now (what he has).
maybe 100gb Mkv films and 1500 songs. (on his laptop, network with cable connection).

So only networking. It will be more in the future. Xbmc will do that do you. No doubt.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Diy or Existing device0