Need expert suggestions please!
Hi guys, I've been lurking around the forums here trying to find the best solution for my situation. I have tried to find a media steaming solution for some time now and have failed miserable for a number of reasons. My early attempts at streaming my movies over my network were Using things like the xbox 360, but I got sick of the file restrictions and transcoding everything for the finicky system. I then moved on to a Blu-Ray player using DLNA, which played more file types but lacked any kind of nice looking ui. Last year I bought 2 Sony SMPN 100's and they were a step up but would play any mp4's or mkv's over ethernet only if plugged directly into the USB. So I bought another Blu-Ray to at least gain the play back of those files over the network. But now the audio files are being blocked on some of my rips by a copyright protection and it's still an ugly ui. So I saw all the info on the Raspberry Pi and got really excited because I love everything about xbmc and this small, cheap, computer seemed like the answer! But after researching, it seems it may not be the answer to be my solution. I already have my entire library scraped and just how I like it and Eden recognizes out perfectly! The RPi setup seems like it would not accept the artwork I already set up and the file restrictions seem to be the wrong direction I'm trying to go.

So my question is this, I want to build a htpc for the bedroom that is capable of utilizing the most recent Eden build, the plugins, skins, etc. This will not be the htpc for my theater room, that will be a top notch setup down the road. This will be for playback of all my movie files, streaming movies all in full 1080p. I've never built a pc from scratch but I'm confidant I can do this as I've changed out just about every component in them before. My main concern is full usage of Eden, a pleasant looking case as it will be out in the open, and budget conscience, since if this works, I'd like to be able to build a few more for other bedrooms. What are your thoughts? Anyone have a similar setup? Thank you!
Just wondering, have you tried the 360 lately? I haven't had to transcode anything for a very long time. It does Divx/Xvid AVI's just fine, and I have set it up to stream my Zune video library so it also can do my H.264 MP4's.

As for a streaming solution, my setup is going to have Plex Media Server on my HTPC and then streaming to the Plex Channel on a Roku 2 XD. Plex however will transcode anything on-the-fly if it's not H.264 MP4, you can always use handbrake to pre-transcode your files in the downtime though so that streaming isn't CPU intensive.
No I haven't, but I fell in love with the look of xbmc! The aeon skin is beautiful! I have it installed on my asus laptop which for now, I plug into my TV when I want to watch a movie from the network. I just want a permanent solution I can keep hooked up.
Well, building a XBMC based streaming unit would get you what you want, but it wouldn't be the cheapest method. I think you would also need to set up a single media library using Plex Media Server as well.

The Black Mamba hub theme for the WD TV Live looks a bit XBMC-ish as well
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-H...d-p/377799

My bedroom HTPC:
E-i5 mini-itx case (with 84W power supply)
ASUS P8H61-I mini-itx motherboard
Intel SandyBridge G620 processor with Intel HD graphics
Kingston DDR3-1333 4GB low-profile memory (1x4GB)
Gelid Slim Silence i-Plus CPU 1U cooler/fan
Crucial m4 128GB SSD

My movies, etc. are all on the network. It runs everything I've tried flawlessly from XBMC to WMC.

You could tweak the above by going with a different motherboard (GA-H61N-USB3 is every cheaper or go with a newer H77M-ITX for more) and a different processor (G540 would work just as well -- they didn't have them out when I got my G620 or spend more and go with one of the new IvyBridge processors like the G2120 or i3-3225). There's also the forum favorite AMD A6-3500/ASRock A75M-ITX combination to consider too.

For a pre-built system,..I can vouch that the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P does everything you described. Set a few of these up for friends/neighbors and they're having a blast.

Just another option.
If you really want to build one: I'd go with the A6-3500
I definitely want to stick with xbmc, thank you guys for the suggestions! I love tinkering and tweaking with computers but with 4 kids and a job that keeps me busy 70 plus hours a week, maybe a prebuilt is the way to go. Thank you!
You can get a custom prebuilt similar to what I suggested above here:
Barebones: http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei5g530.html
Fully built HTPC: http://assassinhtpc.com/
That's perfect Dougie ! It's inexpensive and pretty much ready to go. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need expert suggestions please! 0