Aeon Nox 4 Mockup Thread
(2012-09-21, 04:49)Kokonutcreme Wrote: After playing around with MQ4 the past few days, I prefer the friendlier user acceptance factor of Nox in navigating through setting configurations for widgets, playlists, favourites, artwork etc plus the diverse range of viewtypes.

You hit the nail on the head there. MQ4 doesn't even come close to the usability of Nox.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-09-21, 04:57)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-09-21, 04:49)Kokonutcreme Wrote: After playing around with MQ4 the past few days, I prefer the friendlier user acceptance factor of Nox in navigating through setting configurations for widgets, playlists, favourites, artwork etc plus the diverse range of viewtypes.

You hit the nail on the head there. MQ4 doesn't even come close to the usability of Nox.

Deliberately stayed away from MQ4, don't want my ideas influenced by other skins if I can help it. I concur with both of you, Nox rules!!

@thrak76: I'll try a couple of tweaks to poster view, see what I can come up with. The outerglow is only a placeholder, ultimately the goal would be as you suggested. It's actually surprisingly enjoyable mocking up these views, keep getting new ideas all the time Big Grin

@Shinu: Neither phil or Noid have said anything regarding the validity of the mockups in this thread. It's a place for invention, to provide a visual aid to communicate your ideas. If anything found here is good enough it'll be considered. If not, it won't. Just trying to do my part to help with the design process. It's a valid point you make, but XBMC is driven by the ingenuity of the community and threads like yours and mine have a great contribution to make. Wink
(2012-09-21, 03:49)Deano316 Wrote: One last Hugh Laurie pic (!!!) with the episode count in the left corner as suggested:

Going to step away from that for a few days, been throwing around a few ideas for movie views today. First up is an alteration to the Poster view for movies. Largely unchanged aside from the tagline for the focused movie added and the posters being resized:

The idea is that you push down to turn the focused cover over to reveal some details and a trailer window:

This is just an idea for episode view for movies. I already know that the movie thumbs need to be smaller and a couple more added, just want to put the feelers out and get a response about the layout:

Let me know what you think. Big Grin

The seasons view. Still not sure you can have the codec info at that level, but other than that I like it. What would be great is if you could have season overview where the tv show overview is, but neither xbmc nor any of the websites support this unfortunately

I don't use the posters view that much but that does look good. With the trailer it feels a little like the tri-panel view. Not a knock on it at all, just an initial impression.

The landscape movie view is one I could see myself using, as more support and more images are submitted. It feels a little bare, which is weird because its showing all the relevant info. Maybe its me
TV LG 50PJ350 50 inch HDTV
Receiver Sony STRDH520 7.1
HTPC 1 Custom built 8GB RAM 64GB SSD 250GB SATA Win 8 x64, VRC 1100 remote, AMBX lighting HTPC 2 TV LG 32LK330U 32 inch HDTV HTPC Raspberry Pi 2 OpenELEC
Server HP Microserver Gen 8 10GB RAM, 10.25TB total storage, Sickbeard, SABnzbd+, CouchPotato
Kodi Jarvis, Aeon MQ 6
(2012-09-21, 06:06)Deano316 Wrote: @Shinu: Neither phil or Noid have said anything regarding the validity of the mockups in this thread. It's a place for invention, to provide a visual aid to communicate your ideas. If anything found here is good enough it'll be considered. If not, it won't. Just trying to do my part to help with the design process. It's a valid point you make, but XBMC is driven by the ingenuity of the community and threads like yours and mine have a great contribution to make. Wink

well put bro. hope they find something of interest here.
@defluo: Agree about season view codec, oversight on my part. Shame about season overview, how cool would that be?

Poster view is similar to Tri-Panel, but I tried to make something that had the style of one with the functionality of the other. Maybe you could have the extra thumbs in the place of the trailer when it isn't playing.

Landscape view is still a WIP, but has potential. It does look a little bare, but no point filling it for no reason. Doing my best to balance conventional views with new ideas, seeing as some of us have media which was never in a box or on a disc. It'll have a few tweaks before its finished. The hardest part is keeping new ideas within the Nox look.

All the views I work on are designed with a remote in mind, so I try to make them as simple as possible but visually pleasing with it. Big Grin

@Shinu: I'm sure they're will be a few good ideas born here Big Grin

@Kokonutcreme: The open/close case mod I'm not personally a fan of, I believe phil already stated that it wouldn't be used in Nox anyways. It just doesn't fit Confused
Hi guys, not had much time in the last few days to progress my ideas further. Have settled on this for TV Show season level: I decided less was more and couldn't get the episode count to work:

No more of Hugh's tongue for a while now!! Rofl

Came up with this small variation on episode view for movies. Just resized the movie thumbs to fit a couple more in:

Seeing as I like my redesign of poster view as it is, I decided to do a variation of Shift view for those of you who thought the trailer window was too small. Still needs some slight resizing to neaten it up but I think you get the idea:

Standard:

Cover turns over for details (bit conflicted on whether to skip straight to pic number 3?):

Extra covers flip over together to reveal trailer window:

Thoughts on the alterations?
(2012-09-24, 02:31)Deano316 Wrote: Cover turns over for details (bit conflicted on whether to skip straight to pic number 3?):

Extra covers flip over together to reveal trailer window:

Thoughts on the alterations?

Deano... this idea is really good. That's a way better use of the available space, while still providing details and logos, etc. How would you envision 1.78:1 and 2.35:1 material working in that space? It's great that it covers up all the rest of the posters in the process. I can just imagine the animations to make that happen. It would be nice to see the background darken a bit if the info/trailer is pulled up... the same kind of darkness overlay from the House examples. Again... very, very cool idea!

Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
@deano
I think #2 should be in there, don't skip it and go straight to 3. Maybe people don't want to watch the trailer?

Doing something like pressing 'up' will go from #1 to #2 and then 'up' again will go from #2 to #3, where as 'down' would go from #2 back to #1.

Looks great btw Smile
Deano.......echo the sentiments from Thrak for the mod of Shift. Looks really nifty and would further distinguish Nox viewtypes from other skins. With the movie episode view I find it distracting to have the logo so prominently placed on one side and then a landscape thumb with the same logo on the opposite side of the panel window. On a 55" screen they'd both be competing for my eyes, maybe remove or decrease the size of the logo or maybe use the movie banners as a selectable option for thumbs.

You've got some good design ideas.
Agree with everyone, the Shift view looks amazing. And yes keep all 3
TV LG 50PJ350 50 inch HDTV
Receiver Sony STRDH520 7.1
HTPC 1 Custom built 8GB RAM 64GB SSD 250GB SATA Win 8 x64, VRC 1100 remote, AMBX lighting HTPC 2 TV LG 32LK330U 32 inch HDTV HTPC Raspberry Pi 2 OpenELEC
Server HP Microserver Gen 8 10GB RAM, 10.25TB total storage, Sickbeard, SABnzbd+, CouchPotato
Kodi Jarvis, Aeon MQ 6
Thanks for the response guys Wink I think aside from a few tweaks, Shift view for movies is almost there! I'll admit I'm a bit stuck on episode view for movies ATM.

@Kokonutcreme: You have a point with regards to the repeating logo, one is enough as far as I'm concerned. Banners feature the same logo (besides I'm saving them for a different view), but I could substitute the focused movie thumb with some fanart or extra thumbs and that would solve the logo conundrum. I'll try a few things.

@Thrak76: I'm guessing the windowed trailer would behave as it does in the current lowlist view. I'll allow some space for both sizes.

@Vaikin: That could work, I guess we'll find out if this ever gets made. Wink

@Defluo: Appreciated. All three will stay then Big Grin

I aim to go through most of the TV & Movie views one by one and have a go at redesigning them, any in particular you guys want me to try?
Landscape Smile
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2012-09-24, 21:02)ArieS Wrote: Landscape Smile

I'm guessing you mean Landscape with movie/tv show thumbs? Landscape single-logo has not long been finished. Tongue
I wouldn't mind seeing a redo of InfoWall...
I'm looking forward to seeing this completed, really nice mod!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox 4 Mockup Thread4