Channel/EPG loading: a place for speed improvement?
Hi Lars,
As you may know I am planning to work on incremental epg updates patch. I have a big channel list with xvdr (it's good for testing, because even small regressions scales very visible).
From some time I've discovered that channel loading is very slow (utilizing 100% of my CPU when xmbc is starting). By the way working on incremental EPG PR I found some interesting conclusions (i also bisected a little and I'd like to share with you what i found out):

Firstly: important data. Channels count:
$ wc -l channels.conf
5575 channels.conf

* saving EPG database disabled
* CPU: Athlon II X4 630

Of course I did all test with the above configuration and same channel count to have reliable results.

Long long time ago (before commit: '980bde5 pvr: cleanups in CPVRChannel') loading channels and EPG data was really quick:
It took even 9 seconds which was really great result!!

Currently in mainline xbmc (231d8e0) it took 74 seconds Sad

Things went wrong starting from commit '980bde5 pvr: cleanups in CPVRChannel'. I discovered that the big problem introduced there was a critical sections (If i checked out to that commit and disabled all introduced critical sections then initializing also took 9 sec.
In '40e6ccf pvr: use a boost:Confusedhared_ptr for CPVRChannel' a overhead was related with switching to shared_ptr and also with introduced sorting in CPVRChannelGroupInternal::UpdateFromClient()
When I disabled creating critical sections and this sorting+renumbering then I've got 23 seconds loading-time.

Finally I was trying to reducing loading time on mainline xbmc. Here are the results:
without any patch: 74 sec

after getting rid of CSingleLock in CPVRChannel::UniqueID(void):
54 sec

after getting rid of all CSingleLocks in CPVRChannel introduced in 980bde5:
46 sec

disabling channel sorting (i know it is a feature which cannot be disabled, but maybe optimised, eg sorting once at the end, and not on every new internal group member)
Code:
diff --git a/xbmc/pvr/channels/PVRChannelGroupInternal.cpp b/xbmc/pvr/channels/PVRChannelGroupInternal.cpp
index f2651c6..c0fc118 100644
--- a/xbmc/pvr/channels/PVRChannelGroupInternal.cpp
+++ b/xbmc/pvr/channels/PVRChannelGroupInternal.cpp
@@ -99,11 +99,11 @@ void CPVRChannelGroupInternal::UpdateFromClient(const CPVRChannel &channel, unsi
     m_members.push_back(newMember);
     m_bChanged = true;
-    if (m_bUsingBackendChannelOrder)
+/*    if (m_bUsingBackendChannelOrder)
       SortByClientChannelNumber();
     else
       SortByChannelNumber();
-    Renumber();
+    Renumber();*/
   }
}

result: 22 sec Smile
Last result is still far from the best 9 seconds, but it's better then waiting over a minute Smile
Maybe nothing can be done (i know that critical sections are important for threadsafe) but maybe I've inspired you for some improvement in this area anyway Smile

regards!
hum, I really did not had the time to investigate but what I did was simply to refresh less often (Sleep longer). The ugly hack should be remove, but for now.

------------------ xbmc/pvr/windows/GUIWindowPVRChannels.cpp ------------------
index c804f68..9f4d235 100644
@@ -608,6 +608,6 @@ void CGUIWindowPVRChannels:Tonguerocess(void)
iCount = 0;
SetInvalid();
}
- Sleep(50);
+ Sleep(5000);
}
}
thanks for investigating this. I'll have a look at fixing this properly.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Channel/EPG loading: a place for speed improvement?0