Vizio Co-Star
Hi everyone! I'm new to XBMC, but loving it so far! I'm looking forward to the Ouya project, but came across this Vizio Co-Star today and was wondering if XBMC is compatible with it? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Nuki
No, XBMC for android only runs on normal android devices. I don't know all the details but I saw a post where one of the devs said there isn't something available for them to even try developing for Google TV devices.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Thanks for the reply Mick! At least that's one more device I can scratch off my list.
I do believe XBMC should be compatible with the Vizio Co Star. It has a dual core arm processor unlike the first gen google tv boxes that had x86 processors. Just grab one of the nightly neon builds and give it a shot.
(2012-09-16, 23:05)Marbieskarb Wrote: I do believe XBMC should be compatible with the Vizio Co Star. It has a dual core arm processor unlike the first gen google tv boxes that had x86 processors. Just grab one of the nightly neon builds and give it a shot.

I haven't followed the development for XBMC for Android but, when it first came out, they said they use the Android development kit which Google TV's android variant does not support. One of the developers said, unless Google TV starts to support the development kit, XBMC would not run on Google TV.

This may be old information so do a search on the forums and see if anything new has come up.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Well I will have to add I downloaded the Android apk and was going to install it the file was a .zip. So I just changed the extension to a .apk and it excepted it and installed fine. I clicked the app and it started up with a status bar stating something about "running for the first time". When the bar reached to 100% it did a Force Close. Not that I was surprised but I got so far and was supper excited til that point. As far as troubleshooting I went into the app list and was going to delete and data but there was none. So I rebooted the device and still got the same "Force Close".
(2012-12-07, 06:28)floyd473 Wrote: Well I will have to add I downloaded the Android apk and was going to install it the file was a .zip. So I just changed the extension to a .apk and it excepted it and installed fine. I clicked the app and it started up with a status bar stating something about "running for the first time". When the bar reached to 100% it did a Force Close. Not that I was surprised but I got so far and was supper excited til that point. As far as troubleshooting I went into the app list and was going to delete and data but there was none. So I rebooted the device and still got the same "Force Close".

Same here on my Co-Star revision 3.5 Sad Hopefully the XBMC devs find a way to make this happen. Smile

Found your answer here:
Quote: "The Vizio Co-Star Google TV might be the first Google TV box that’s worth buying. It now has access to the Google Play Store, which should include access to XBMC, support for OnLive gaming, and great specs for the low price of $99"
Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/tag/vizio-co-star/

Download:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=xbmc

Other options:
Spoon dot net allows you to install and run XBMC from browser.
Could put xbmc on a Raspberry Pi as UpNp device that CoStar recognize, meanwhile.
Zotac Zbox mini-pc Celeron or Atom is $160 ( IR Remote Control Included).

(2013-01-15, 17:32)plac Wrote: Found your answer here:
Quote: "The Vizio Co-Star Google TV might be the first Google TV box that’s worth buying. It now has access to the Google Play Store, which should include access to XBMC, support for OnLive gaming, and great specs for the low price of $99"
Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/tag/vizio-co-star/

Download:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=xbmc

Other options:
Spoon dot net allows you to install and run XBMC from browser.
Could put xbmc on a Raspberry Pi as UpNp device that CoStar recognize, meanwhile.
Zotac Zbox mini-pc Celeron or Atom is $160 ( IR Remote Control Included).

Has anyone tried loading xbmc onto a co-star since January? Especially since the co-star received a firmware update this week.
The update hasn't reached everyone. I know I haven't received it yet, but I'm expecting it anytime this week.

I'll update my post if it works or not, but my expectations are low if the update doesn't bring along NDK support. The only way we get a working build is if devs make a specific build for the Google TV using the Android SDK. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do have hope we'll someday have a working build for our Marvell Armada 1500 equipped Google TV. Angel

Good read for anyone interested.

http://code.google.com/p/googletv-issues...tail?id=12
Intel NUC NUC5PPYH
  • Intel Pentium N3700 Quad-Core (Braswell)
  • Intel 535 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD
  • Kingston HyperX Impact 8GB DDR3L 1600 1.35v
  • Microsoft MCE Remote RC6 IR Model 1039
  • Kodi 17 LibreELEC Testbuilds Milhouse
Just received the new update, but no luck so far. Hopefully there will be a workaround soon.
Has anyone tried the new XBMC for Android app. Maybe sideloading it? I would but not that technically knowledgeable to fix the Co-Star if I mess up. Wink
Nothing left in my right brain, Nothing right in my left brain :-P
I just tested XBMC Frodo (v12) on the latest Vizio Co-Star firmware (4.60) and it did not work.

It did reach the point of finalizing the initial setup, but once it went to start the actual app, it force-closed.
We will probably have to wait for some one to root it.
Nothing left in my right brain, Nothing right in my left brain :-P
Rooting a device won't make any difference, the problem is not with the ability to access features of the Android OS that are limited to SU, the problem is with the different hardware configurations / SoC (CPU's) used.

The Co-Star uses a very nice Marvel SoC with NEON capability, and there is a group that builds an XBMC APK that may just work. This will become one of the most common SoC's for GoogleTV, based on many reports -- so it's very likely that if the version I'm testing next does not work, another will soon -- and no need to root.

Also, keep in mind rooting would require unlocking the bootloader, and until you see an enthusiast community for the Co-Star (which I have not yet witnessed) I doubt there is any hope of that happening.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vizio Co-Star1