*READ THIS 1st BEFORE POSTING* FAQ, how to Install, troubleshooting, etc

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
Ned Scott Offline
Team-XBMC Wiki Guy
Question  *READ THIS 1st BEFORE POSTING* FAQ, how to Install, troubleshooting, etc
NOTE: This thread is *NOT* for troubleshooting. The aim of this thread is to be informative. The thread will be left open for constructive suggestions for the FAQs/wiki/etc.

Read the forum rules: here

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
XBMC all platforms FAQ
FAQs that apply to all ports of XBMC.

Raspberry Pi FAQ
Raspberry Pi specific topics/questions

BEFORE POSTING, PLEASE LOOK OVER THESE FAQs FIRST.

Want to help development?
If you are experienced with OpenMAX,OpenGLES and embedded platforms, patches are welcome.
The source can be found at : https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc

Reporting bugs:
First, ALWAYS do a search, it could be that the bug has been discussed before (and even fixed or workaround posted).

Github is NOT meant for posting bugs, or asking questions, it's for Dev discussed and patch submitting only.

Please discuss bugs on this part of the form first (don't forget to search first !)

If you want a dev to have a look at this, post the issue on trac and provide the info needed
(point to the discussion thread on here and ALWAYS add a debug log)

Please note to ONLY use xbmc trac to report XBMC related bugs

Bugs related to other Distro's (OpenElec/Raspbmc/Xbian) should be reported using the links listed below:

OpenElec
Raspbmc
Xbian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have a general XBMC question that isn't specific to the Raspberry Pi then you might want to post it in XBMC General Help and Support. See also Skin Specific Help and Support and Add-ons Help and Support. If you are not sure where to post then feel free to post the question here and someone can move your thread later if needed.

Be kind, be patient, and enjoy XBMC and our support community!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is discussion about how to improve the FAQ/Wiki pages:
(This post was last modified: 2013-01-30 12:38 by Ned Scott.)
find quote
koopa Offline
I'm still confused on how to properly turn off the power without just yanking out the cord.

Some people said to use sudo shutdown -h or sudo halt but in openELEC via ssh both just say sudo not found.
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-17 00:58 by koopa.)
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-XBMC Wiki Guy
(2012-09-17 00:58)koopa Wrote:  I'm still confused on how to properly turn off the power without just yanking out the cord.

Some people said to use sudo shutdown -h or sudo halt but in openELEC via ssh both just say sudo not found.

This is a good question. Suddenly powering the device off will often damage databases, and possibly other not-so-good-things. Hmm... I wonder if that's going to be a big issue with the R-Pi. I will definitely ask around about this.

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Add-on:YouTube]] = Add-on:YouTube, [[Adding videos to the library]] = Adding videos to the library, [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-17 01:06 by Ned Scott.)
find quote
althekiller Offline
Team-XBMC Developer
root is the only user on openelec. Just run halt. Or use shutdown from xbmc's shutdown menu.
find quote
koopa Offline
(2012-09-17 02:15)althekiller Wrote:  root is the only user on openelec. Just run halt. Or use shutdown from xbmc's shutdown menu.

Ok, thanks!

Also a tutorial on how to add MEPG-2 and other codecs would be nice to add to the FAQ.
find quote
Jester Offline
XBMC for iOS* forums Moderator
(2012-09-17 02:25)koopa Wrote:  
(2012-09-17 02:15)althekiller Wrote:  root is the only user on openelec. Just run halt. Or use shutdown from xbmc's shutdown menu.

Ok, thanks!

Also a tutorial on how to add MEPG-2 and other codecs would be nice to add to the FAQ.

login as root,

Code:
root ~ # mount -o remount,rw /flash

create config.txt in /flash

and add your licenses to config.txt

reboot

done.

@ Ned Scott, yeah a sticky with a FAQ would be a good plan

Current XBMC Platform: ATV2
Extra XBMC Platform: Raspberry Pi
Read the iOS FAQ
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-17 11:13 by Jester.)
find quote
sraue Offline
Team-XBMC Developer
(2012-09-17 01:04)Ned Scott Wrote:  
(2012-09-17 00:58)koopa Wrote:  I'm still confused on how to properly turn off the power without just yanking out the cord.

This is a good question. Suddenly powering the device off will often damage databases, and possibly other not-so-good-things. Hmm... I wonder if that's going to be a big issue with the R-Pi. I will definitely ask around about this.

this should be definitiv in the faq. like many ARM devices the RPi has no support to poweroff (hardwarewise), so its not possible
- to poweroff the RPi
- start with WOL or any USB device (remote) or something like wake on time or so

the OS can be shutdown via "halt" "shutdown" or "poweroff" command (but the hardware is still running (at nearly full power))

greetings, Stephan

[Image: userbar-openelec-001.gif]
[Image: project_thin_badge.gif]
find quote
koopa Offline
(2012-09-17 11:12)Jester Wrote:  
(2012-09-17 02:25)koopa Wrote:  

Ok, thanks!

login as root,

Code:
root ~ # mount -o remount,rw /flash

create config.txt in /flash

and add your licenses to config.txt

reboot

done.

@ Ned Scott, yeah a sticky with a FAQ would be a good plan
Sorry, Linux noob here...

Can you expand on creating and editing the config.txt? This is done via SSH correct? I think I have successfully created the config txt but I'm not sure how to edit it or if it is in the right partition or what. I tried using the nano command as mentioned here but it just says -sh nano not found.

Sorry, using the pi is my first real linux terminal experience.
find quote
sraue Offline
Team-XBMC Developer
(2012-09-17 23:16)koopa Wrote:  Sorry, Linux noob here...

Can you expand on creating and editing the config.txt? This is done via SSH correct? I think I have successfully created the config txt but I'm not sure how to edit it or if it is in the right partition or what. I tried using the nano command as mentioned here but it just says -sh nano not found.

- you can nano on OpenELEC via XBMC's addon browser, its in the "Programs" section. After installing the addon a reboot is needed.
- you can use vi
Code:
vi /flash/config.txt
then press "i" to switch to the insert mode, add the code, press "Esc" to switch back to command mode ":wq" to save and exit
- you can insert the sdcard in your windows machine and add/change config.txt from there (on the first partition where you also find a file SYSTEM and kernel.img)

greetings, Stephan

[Image: userbar-openelec-001.gif]
[Image: project_thin_badge.gif]
(This post was last modified: 2012-09-17 23:25 by sraue.)
find quote
koopa Offline
(2012-09-17 23:25)sraue Wrote:  
(2012-09-17 23:16)koopa Wrote:  Sorry, Linux noob here...

- you can nano on OpenELEC via XBMC's addon browser, its in the "Programs" section. After installing the addon a reboot is needed.
- you can use vi
Code:
vi /flash/config.txt
then press "i" to switch to the insert mode, add the code, press "Esc" to switch back to command mode ":wq" to save and exit
- you can insert the sdcard in your windows machine and add/change config.txt from there (on the first partition where you also find a file SYSTEM and kernel.img)
Thanks a lot! This raspberry pi is really teaching me a whole lot of new stuff!
find quote
Envi Offline

I use RPiController for android it is beta but allows you to see if it is running, reboot it, and shutdown the PI. It works great for what it does.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...xsZXIiXQ..
find quote
lrusak Offline
Fan
Attn: Ned Scott

You may want to take a look over here for our FAQ

http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...rry-pi-faq

"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ davilla

[Image: watched-clearlogo.jpg]
find quote
danpritts Offline
(2012-09-17 00:33)Ned Scott Wrote:  Known problems:

Movies with DTS audio tracks stutter. Either you transcode DTS to AC3 or you use passthrough if your equipment allows it.
1080p movies stutter even if passthrough is used.

Does this mean that all 1080p movies generally stutter, or only those with DTS sound?

thanks
find quote
DrowningApe Offline
(2012-09-29 04:05)danpritts Wrote:  
(2012-09-17 00:33)Ned Scott Wrote:  Known problems:

Movies with DTS audio tracks stutter. Either you transcode DTS to AC3 or you use passthrough if your equipment allows it.
1080p movies stutter even if passthrough is used.

Does this mean that all 1080p movies generally stutter, or only those with DTS sound?

thanks

Stuttering is easy to remedy with moderate overclocking. OpenELEC and XBIAN require changing the config file which requires a moderate amount of terminal copy and pasting over SSH. Raspbmc allows changing overclock via menu.

I'm able to play high bitrate 1080p titles with 1500mbps DTS tracks with no problem on openELEC.

The openELEC forum has good documentation.
(This post was last modified: 2012-10-01 01:28 by DrowningApe.)
find quote
karrde Offline
(2012-09-17 00:33)Ned Scott Wrote:  The RaspberryPI Foundation offers additional codecs licences to buy. At the moment you can purchase MPEG2 and VC1. Others might come.
OMXPlayer doesn't support ISO/IFO playback.

Just to clarify, does this mean that straight DVD->ISO rips will not play on Raspbmc even if I've purchased the MPEG2 codec?
find quote