*READ THIS 1st BEFORE POSTING* FAQ, how to Install, troubleshooting, etc

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.33 Average
DrowningApe Offline
(2012-10-01 19:16)karrde Wrote:  
(2012-09-17 00:33)Ned Scott Wrote:  The RaspberryPI Foundation offers additional codecs licences to buy. At the moment you can purchase MPEG2 and VC1. Others might come.
OMXPlayer doesn't support ISO/IFO playback.

Just to clarify, does this mean that straight DVD->ISO rips will not play on Raspbmc even if I've purchased the MPEG2 codec?

Per Raspbmc RC5 changelog.

XBMC updates: PVR support, MPEG2, DVD, bug fixes, deinteracing.

In case you haven’t read, PVR support has been added as a nightly build, installable from Raspbmc Settings. Furthermore, MPEG2 support is now available. DVD menu support is preliminary and now implemented. Deinterlacing is in an early phase, butnonetheless, implemented too.
find quote
Kelemvor Offline
I know one thing I'd like to see is a Start to Finish guide on how to get it working. Including getting the R-Pi up and running (or at least links to specific tutorials to follow) and then also how to get XBMC up and running).

I don't own an R-Pi yet but would consider getting one due to the cost if it could be an easy way to stream stuff to my TVs. Think of if I were someone who was technical, but didn't know Linux and had never seen a R-Pi before. What steps would I need to go through from opening the box and plugging it in for the first time, to streaming my videos to my TV. It's a pain to have to search all over and find tons of options and hit up one website for the R-Pi itself and then another for XBMX. One comprehensive list of steps, that could link to other sites, that a new user could follow through would be great.

If this already exists, shoot me a link. Wink
find quote
drmouse Offline
WRT Power: Is there a specific reason you are powerring down?

For myself I leave it running. The power requirements are minimal (should work out as less than £5/yr, if I have my figures right) and it is silent. This way you don't need to wait for it to boot up.

I have also hooked up a SCART connection (I am using an old CRT) with a circuit to control the "status" pin. I then set up my remote to trigger a toggle on this, so it works the same as most SCART devices, switching to and from the SCART source.

If you do need to power down, I believe you should be able to use XBMC to shut down. This will not power off, but will leave it in a safe state so you can disconnect the power. It is not safe to just unplug it. You could corrupt your library or worse. There are ways to get around this, but the simplest way is not to do it.
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
Alright, I've got something started on http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi/FAQ

A few parts are noted that need expanding/filling out, and feel free to add whatever else you think is needed.

Also, we need a page/info on CEC. Currently the XBMC wiki has nothing on it, so any help with that would also be helpful.

Since the R-Pi can also function as a PVR backend with a USB tuner, maybe we should have something on that as well?

Comments? Questions? Insults? Suggestions?

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
Should we do a feature comparison table for the three major OS/XBMC distros? If so, what features should we highlight/compare?

You can make easy links to the XBMC wiki using double brackets around common XBMC words: [[debug log]] = debug log, [[Video library]] = Video library, [[SMB]] = SMB , [[userdata]] = userdata, etc
(This post was last modified: 2012-10-16 09:43 by Ned Scott.)
find quote
deanmv Offline
Posting Freak
Updated the CEC page a little bit. Would be good if we could get a bigger list of known devices http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=CEC

Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
find quote
kreegaa Offline
i would say the best possible installation (using openelec for eg.) is to have the "System" on the sd card and "storage" on a usb flash. i had lots of issues before i switched to this format because of SD card corruption.. n i've never overclocked my Pi. the System is read only and Fat so i believe this set up cannot really cause you any issues as long as you do a partition check on the usb drive once in a while..
find quote
danmedhurst Offline
Fan
(2012-12-13 19:00)kreegaa Wrote:  i would say the best possible installation (using openelec for eg.) is to have the "System" on the sd card and "storage" on a usb flash. i had lots of issues before i switched to this format because of SD card corruption.. n i've never overclocked my Pi. the System is read only and Fat so i believe this set up cannot really cause you any issues as long as you do a partition check on the usb drive once in a while..

Having finally gotten round to testing this w/e.. .i agree.. Was almost unusable until i did this.. Now it rivals the ATV2 for speed (so much so that i've sold my ATV2's and ordered an extra PI) Smile

[Image: 993659535.png]
find quote
Ned Scott Offline
Team-Kodi Wiki Guy
So a good idea to add recommending a USB drive for install to the FAQ. Any ideas on how to word this or where to put it? I was thinking near the "performance" issues part, but maybe have it higher up in the general FAQ section, but link to that section in the Performance part.

find quote
Dilligaf Offline
Fan
The thing about usb flash drives is some are even slower then sd cards and some are considerably faster so you need to get a fast one. I have found that usb3 flash drives even in usb2 ports are among the fastest.

If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
find quote
danmedhurst Offline
Fan
(2013-01-20 20:34)Dilligaf Wrote:  The thing about usb flash drives is some are even slower then sd cards and some are considerably faster so you need to get a fast one. I have found that usb3 flash drives even in usb2 ports are among the fastest.

i can;t comment on this, but from what i've read, it's not just the published "speed" that's the issue.. It's the way the SD cards are designed to have data written to and read from them.. USB flash drives are much better at handling random access rather than the SD cards..

Atleast that's what i gleaned from it.. i can't remember the exact place i read it though.

There is a long discussion on it here, and my instructions are below :

http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...0&start=40

Installing OpenElec for Raspberry Pi on an SD Card + USB Stick in Windows
1) Format both the SD Card and USB Drive to Fat32.
2) Apply the OpenElec IMG file to the USB stick using your prefered method.
3) Access the USB Stick (you will only be able to see a small partition in windows)
4) Copy everything from that partition to the root of the SD card.
5) On the SD card, edit cmdline.txt
6) Change :
Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk01p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh quiet
to :
Code:
boot=/dev/sda1 disk=/dev/sda2 ssh quiet
7) Whack them both in the PI (USB Port doesn't matter)

Job done. (You can delete the stuff off the USB drive at this point if you want.. it's not needed.. Only the stuff you copied... if you are on a Linux system you may be able to see the EXT4 partition... DONT DELETE ANYTHING OFF THIS!)

(2013-01-20 19:28)Ned Scott Wrote:  So a good idea to add recommending a USB drive for install to the FAQ. Any ideas on how to word this or where to put it? I was thinking near the "performance" issues part, but maybe have it higher up in the general FAQ section, but link to that section in the Performance part.

I'm not sure on the best place for it to go, but it might be best under Performance as you said.. I guess if you have the 512mb model or a fast enough SD card, this isn't needed... But it does have the added benefit of being able to run in turbo mode and your XBMC install be safe from corruption on the USB stick.

(This post was last modified: 2013-01-22 15:17 by danmedhurst.)
find quote
Dilligaf Offline
Fan
Just saying that if it's recommended in the FAQ then a note about speed should be added, just using any old flash drive won't always increase performance even with overclock

If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
find quote
danmedhurst Offline
Fan
(2013-01-22 17:46)Dilligaf Wrote:  Just saying that if it's recommended in the FAQ then a note about speed should be added, just using any old flash drive won't always increase performance even with overclock

Agreed

find quote
bbc0 Offline
XBMC scolds me when I don't shut it down gracefully, but when I do, it simply restarts. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance.

(2012-10-10 18:16)Kelemvor Wrote:  I know one thing I'd like to see is a Start to Finish guide on how to get it working. Including getting the R-Pi up and running (or at least links to specific tutorials to follow) and then also how to get XBMC up and running).

I don't own an R-Pi yet but would consider getting one due to the cost if it could be an easy way to stream stuff to my TVs. Think of if I were someone who was technical, but didn't know Linux and had never seen a R-Pi before. What steps would I need to go through from opening the box and plugging it in for the first time, to streaming my videos to my TV. It's a pain to have to search all over and find tons of options and hit up one website for the R-Pi itself and then another for XBMX. One comprehensive list of steps, that could link to other sites, that a new user could follow through would be great.

If this already exists, shoot me a link. Wink

This took me maybe 20 minutes to hook up and get working once I had XBMC on the SD card.

The guys at LH have a tutorial.
(This post was last modified: 2014-02-20 00:44 by bbc0.)
find quote