XBMC for BlackBerry Playbook
Information 
Hi,

I know few asked about the possible port of XBMC on the BlackBerry Playbook, including myself since I have a Playbook which is now a pretty cheap device with a powerful hardware including a micro HDMI output(only missing good apps such as XBMC!Sad).

I don't want to give false hope to anybody but it seems there are some progress currently made on the port of XBMC and the Playbook and BB10 as discussed on this thread on crackberry forum.

There was a 1st attempt made, but it seems the project is dead since no code have been submitted in few months, you can see the code at https://github.com/asimonov-rim/xbmc

I tried myself few weeks ago and was able to build XBMC but it would fails because of missing graphic drivers when I tried to run XBMC, unfortunately, I don't have enough spare time for now and porting XBMC without knowing the code would take a fair amount of time.

But on the same thread on crackberry forum, aesteral posted that few days ago:
Quote:Hi!

So, I've got pretty far into building a working native XBMC port for our PlayBooks It is pretty much broken now, but here are some screenshots of what I have got: XBMC on BB10 and PlayBook - Imgur .

It is running on a Dev Alpha (hence the 1280x768 resolution and weird scaling) but it does not use any BB10 specific API and runs as well on a PlayBook.

There is a lot of work to do, there is no audio and video player freezes, but a lot of stuff works already

And if you looks at the screenshots of what he did so far, even thus there is no sound yet and video playing freeze, it is amazing progresses.

So nothing sure, but at least some hope to have one day XBMC on Playbook. Not sure if there is a way to contact aesteral and offer to give him a hand and if he would accept it, but so far this is the most promising result in attempting to port XBMC on the Playbook Cool.

You can have a look here at the screenshots made by aesteral

Couple below to make you hungry Big Grin

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV
Installer Passion-XBMC: Download and Install Add-ons (pre-Dharma only)

This looks promising just picked up a cheap 64 gig playbook and this would be perfect.
I might have a go converting one of the latest builds to a bar file and see if it fires up. :-)
Hi!

Did you by any chance made some progress on this port? is there a experimental version which I might be able to obtain?

Thanks
As far as I know no progress has been made, the developer aesteral who started the port and made such amazing progress has gone AWOL,
Some people on Crackberry forum asked him if he could make the source code available as well as a test version, but he has he hasn't answered yet, not sure if it is because he is too much busy on the port or decided to drop it, hopefully not because based on those screenshot, that looks really promising.

Repositories Installer: select and install unofficial repositories / TAC.TV: watch videos on TAC.TV

FYI Plex is now available on the Blackberry Playbook: http://crackberry.com/plex-blackberry-pl...-available
Unfortunately not free and a little bit expansive for a fork of XBMC, but at least it is availbale which is a great news.
Between the work in progress (which seem in standby) on XBMC port on the PB and now the Plex port on the PB, I think we can say now that is technically doable contrary to what some was saying.
Since QNX OS on which BB10 and PB OS are based, is a POSIX OS, it is pretty close to linux, and many Linux app/libs has been ported to BB10.
Unfortunately that is still a lot of work to do if you are not familiar with XBMC code and QNX/BB10 OS.

We are getting there!

[edit]
Here is the link where you can get it: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/.../18919878/

[edit2]
I have spoken a little bit too fast, it is not a native port but an android port, but I still believe XBMC linux branch can be port on BB10 based on aesteral work.

Plex for BB is not based on XBMC code.
Yes, it is what I realize and posted in my edit 2, it is their android version ported on playbook. But as I said QNX and Linux are very similar.

Any news on this or is there no hope Sad
Giant leap forward! GREAT THINGS are coming to BBOS 10.x and Playbook now that native android code is able to be used... unofficially for now of course ;-)

http://crackberry.com/android-runtime-bb...-meets-eye
that's impressive

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for BlackBerry Playbook0