hard drives, server vs desktop
So I read the whole WD red vs green thread. Normally I opt for the cheapest drives available, REDS are too expensive for me. I'm after a 2TB internal to add to my NAS.

I am put off by the Seagate as it only offers a 1year warranty and was about to buy the 2tb WD green which comes with a 2 year warranty.

But then I saw the WD AV-GP 2TB a server grade WD with 3 years warranty. Do you think its worth the extra £7 which is not much for an extra year warranty. It will be used a lot but not 24/7. Its sata 3gb/s not 6gb/s but that does not worry me.

Are there any other benefits/drawbacks to this drive?
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
In my honest opinion,...a warranty is not needed for most electronics. Typically,...just after the warranty expires,..the device breaks.
Don't get me wrong,..I'll take it if it's included,...but I won't pay extra for the presumption that this drive will last any longer than any other drive.

Neither do I buy the warranty when purchasing things at Walmart,..or any other stores when buying electronics.
Companies make their biggest profits off of these warranties.
It's essentially, free money for them.
(2012-09-18, 13:48)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Neither do I buy the warranty when purchasing things at Walmart,..or any other stores when buying electronics.

I have the opposite experience. I always buy the extended warranty at FutureShop, and over the last decade have had easily 90% of what I bought break down and get repaired/replaced under warranty.
I don't take extended warranties but hard drives die! I've had quite a few go on me over the years even a SSD which was only 6 months old. If I can get a free replacement for 3 years seems worth the £7

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-09-18, 16:39)Arkitket Wrote:
(2012-09-18, 13:48)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Neither do I buy the warranty when purchasing things at Walmart,..or any other stores when buying electronics.

I have the opposite experience. I always buy the extended warranty at FutureShop, and over the last decade have had easily 90% of what I bought break down and get repaired/replaced under warranty.

Yikes,..90%,....I'd be shopping somewhere else. Wink

(2012-09-18, 19:20)GortWillSaveUs Wrote:
(2012-09-18, 16:39)Arkitket Wrote:

Yikes,..90%,....I'd be shopping somewhere else. Wink

LOL It is due less to the products actually breaking, and more to my kids messing around with stuff. Plus as you said earlier, typically once the manufacturers warranty expires, the product breaks down; extended warranty can save you money in the end if purchased smartly (i.e. original xbox 360 lol). Overall I have saved more money with warranty than I have spent on warranty, so to me it can be worth it. To others that baby their stuff, and/or don't buy a lot of electronics, then extended warranty may not be neccessary or worth it.

2 years ago I purchased my wife a Nikon D3000 DSLR for Christmas (cost $500 + $130 for 3 years warranty). Worked great until about 5 months ago when all of the sudden the lens wouldn't auto focus correctly. Took it in for repair, took longer than 60 days, got a D3100 for replacement (retail cost $530) & purchased warranty on that for $130). Essentially for $260 I saved $330 in the end. And if this happens again the savings will just increase.

I always thought circuit city etc... scams on insurance.

I guess I been lucky nothing major that has broken on me. Jeje my PS3 broke on me after 4 years... Yellow death of light...

I bought extra warranty for my first HDTV that came with a cleaning of the tv and never used it over 5 years.
400 bucks down the drain.... I guess if it would of broken then I would of been happy with a new tv.

I just don't see the point on extra warranty anymore.

Wait... oh I had extra warranty on my washing machine... yes I did use it once on it.

So I guess it's all luck...
Seems my concerns about warranties have paid off. One of my 2TB seagate drives died last night Sad

It had a 3 year warranty and has 3 month left! At least I will get a replacement drive. Better then spending £75 to replace a drive. Now the pain of attempting to recover a drive in ubuntu.

Note to self - don't buy any more Seagate drives, this is the 4th seagate to die on me (not including one DOA).

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Do NOT buy green drives for nas/servers they wont handle it, go for wd red or hitachi if you can.
@RaggSokk3n, In an ideal world I would, but the cost of those!

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
200$ for 3tb drives isn't that bad? If you really can't afford them than some segate have been reported acceptable after firmware updates (but in reality there is no 2tb+ drive good enough for a nas below 200$)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
hard drives, server vs desktop0