Recommended movies based on previously watched?
I want to create a view on the home screen that recommends movies based on what you previously watched. I understand there is no script for it but wanted to know if there is a possible way/hack to have something similar.

Say you watched Goodfellas, xbmc would recommend other movies in your library based on the genre of that film.

anything like that at all possible?
Sure it's possible... you could write a script which recommends based on genre, actors, director or whatever.
(2012-09-19, 00:25)`Black Wrote: Sure it's possible... you could write a script which recommends based on genre, actors, director or whatever.

there any good tutorials? no idea how to code a script but learned how to code a skin so might as well have a stab at it.
need a starting point though. any script exsisting i can use as a base? any good documentation that can help me?
(2012-09-19, 00:25)`Black Wrote: Sure it's possible... you could write a script which recommends based on genre, actors, director or whatever.

Maybe put it in watchlist?
Shouldn't be that much extra code.
Will need to update it for Frodo anyway
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Yes, could work... only thing we have to think of is how the recommendations should be made:

1. Genre, if more then 5 or 10 found, recommend those which have
2. the same actors and/or same director
3. the same year +- 5 (or are in the same decade)
Usually movies have multiple genres so that would limit it a bit. Also randomize the result.
Will see how hat works out tomorrow
Yes, you're right. You would need to split the genre into a list and then you could check which other movies have the most similar or maybe even same genre. But I don't know how much that would slow down the process.
(2012-09-19, 01:47)`Black Wrote: Yes, you're right. You would need to split the genre into a list and then you could check which other movies have the most similar or maybe even same genre. But I don't know how much that would slow down the process.

The great part about Frodo is they are already in an array Smile
Using the new JSON-RPC filtering is like using a smartplaylist so results should be near instant.
Will first adjust watchlist to that (and randomitems) and adding this would be a breeze
How will this affect the in progress movies? Will they be mixed in with the recommended ones?
I would guess they'd just use another set of info labels and additional run option.
Wouldn't it be better to split it off into a separate script? Overcomplicating things by adding features not related to the core function of the script can lead to hassles further down the road.

If it's a matter of having to reuse code, perhaps a core script that other scripts share could be used and branch off the differentiating features into their own dependent script would suffice - similar to how some of the video addons work.
(2012-09-19, 10:46)Hitcher Wrote: I would guess they'd just use another set of info labels and additional run option.
correct

(2012-09-19, 11:14)Sranshaft Wrote: Wouldn't it be better to split it off into a separate script? Overcomplicating things by adding features not related to the core function of the script can lead to hassles further down the road.
If it's a matter of having to reuse code, perhaps a core script that other scripts share could be used and branch off the differentiating features into their own dependent script would suffice - similar to how some of the video addons work.

For Frodo a lot of code can be thrown away so the script will be a lot simpler. Having a core script doesn't seem to make sense to me. You can easy throw it all into one script.
It's basically a JSON-RPC call and setting the info labels.
(2012-09-19, 11:31)Martijn Wrote: For Frodo a lot of code can be thrown away so the script will be a lot simpler. Having a core script doesn't seem to make sense to me. You can easy throw it all into one script.

I wasn't aware of the changes on the JSON side of things. If that's the case, then yeah, throwing in all into one script is fine.

(2012-09-19, 12:37)Sranshaft Wrote:
(2012-09-19, 11:31)Martijn Wrote: For Frodo a lot of code can be thrown away so the script will be a lot simpler. Having a core script doesn't seem to make sense to me. You can easy throw it all into one script.

I wasn't aware of the changes on the JSON side of things. If that's the case, then yeah, throwing in all into one script is fine.

Will keep back worth compatibility. So if your skin isn't ready for Frodo nothing breaks.
well glad this is being looked into!

thought it was always a feature worth having similar to the recommended features on itunes/amazon/netflix.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended movies based on previously watched?2