XBMCbuntu Vs. OpenELEC
I finally got around to buying a dedicated HTPC ( ZBOX AD10 ). 90Gb SSD & 4gb Ram is on its way Big Grin (AD10 runs off an AMD E-350 platform)

This will be a dedicated HTPC, and my aim is to use it for XBMC related functions only (including supplementary Add-Ons available within XBMC... emulators, you tube, etc.). I will be setting up an unRaid server in the nearish future to house my media, but for now, will be USB-ing in a 2Tb & 3Tb HDD from which to pull my media. I'll most likely look to run functions like Sick Beard, Couchpotato & SabNZB+ from the server when complete (though I am definitely open to running these through the XBMC client machine if this is a more sensible solution. My intention with the Server is to leave it in a closet and have it always-on, but I need to be able to send commands to it for the above listed programs from other machines around my network.

The immediate challenge I'm facing is the decision of which OS to run XBMC on, and which build to use?

From what I can gather, here's my options:

OpenELEC - Pros: Very low footprint solution which offers very painless installation process to get XBMC up & running. Cons: Less customization, fewer available Add-Ons. Can be booted off flash drive

XMBCbuntu - (XBMC Live w/ Ubuntu OS) Pros: Sutiable installation guide exists , Extensive Add-ons Cons: Intallation guide looks complex.

Windows - (XBMC Live w/ Ubuntu OS) Pros: Well known interface (I use Windows daily), Extensive Add-ons. Cons: Need Windows license, slower load times & general performance hogging vs. alternatives.

Please Can I get some advice on what might be the best option?. I am reasonably tech savvy and have access to people who are more-so through my workplace if everything goes horribly wrong (plus all you fine people!). However, I have never used Linux before.
you are wrong about the add-ons.
all have the same.

i would say for a dedicated HTPC i'd say openelec. very easy to install and update
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
You are also misinformed about the complexity to install XBMCbuntu. The guide you linked to is for manually installing the Linux operating system and the XBMC application. XBMCbuntu is like OpenELEC in that they both bundle the Linux OS and XBMC into a package you can install in a single pass. Just bootup your system with the install CD or USB flash drive, answer a few questions (such as language, time zone, computer name, user name/password, WiFi authentication info, etc.) and let it chug away. If all goes well, a quick reboot and you're looking at the XBMC homepage.

OpenELEC is the most appliance-like and fast-booting, but its locked-down interface can be a bit annoying if you want to make some system changes without having to SSH into it. On the other hand, this can be a significant plus if you don't want other family members or roommates messing around and potentially breaking your HTPC.
(2012-09-18, 21:22)WinstonKennedy Wrote: Windows - (XBMC Live w/ Ubuntu OS) Pros: Well known interface (I use Windows daily), Extensive Add-ons. Cons: Need Windows license, slower load times & general performance hogging vs. alternatives.

I think you mean XBMC w/ Windows 7 OS. Anyway, XBMCbuntu is worth a look. As they say, Necessity is a Mother, and what better way to learn about something new than with a project so rewarding.

Tobor
I have been a massive fan of XBMCbuntu and OpenElec for around a year now (late on the scene i know).

I first tried OpenElec and i loved it to begin with however, I found it very restrictive. Almost impossible to add new programs to and the lack of a desktop was very frustrating.

Then cam along XBMCbuntu which i have used since its launch. I must say if you are into installing additional apps and have some experience and/or patience (alot of patience) this is the way to go. however i have found that playing around with new programs can be very time consuming and frustrating as i have broken the system several times and as i have very limited experience with linux i have had no idea how to fix it. Hence i have had to complete reinstallations 3 times now.

Yesterday after breaking something attempting to install deluge i decisded it was time to try out OpenElec again.

and boy was i amazed with the updates that have happened since i originally used it. Everything actually works right out of the box and the big winner for me is that you can install a complete USENET suite just by installing 1 addon (sabnzbd suite). This includes Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato and Headphones. Everything seems to be working seamlessly and i am yet to have any issues or even needed to follow a single tutorial setting it up.

I am now convinced that the best option for someone who wants a standalone HTPC that runs SAB, SB, CP and HP. Openelec is the most stable, easy to use and fastest to boot option.

Big selling points for open elec

- Install in under 15 including download time.
- Sabnzbd Suite and auto start on boot (manual install of each program required in XBMCbuntu and you then need to configure it so they start on boot).
- Auto Mounts any and all HDDS that are connected to it. (not the case in XBMCbuntu)
- Doesnt allow access the the parts of the OS that could result in something breaking
- Boots in 17 seconds on my SSD

My recommendation

1. Forget about windows!
2. Only use xbmcbuntu if you either have experience with linux or dont wish to make any changes or install additional applications
3. Get OpenElec if you want something simple that does everything you need without ever needing to leave XBMC
My HTPC - | Ubuntu 12.04 | XBMC 12.0 Frodo | SilverStone LC20B | Asus F1A75-M PRO FM1 | AMD A8-3870 3.0GHZ | Nvidia Ge Force GT 430 | Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB | Antec 520W ATX NEO 520C ECO PSU | 64GB Corsair SSD | 5 x 2TB Green HDD | HD Homerun | Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB | Astraweb Usenet | SABnzbd+ | CouchPotato | SickBeard
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick with some of my assumptions & research.

It's sounding like OpenELEC is the way to go, given the criteria you've outlined. Also, WAF (wife approval factor) will be important on this project and I don't want something that will be time consuming to rebuild if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for the responses!
+1 for OpenELEC
How do you guys sync thumbs on openelec?

I know their development (frodo) builds take care of it with jmarshall's new thumb caching system. (The builds weren't stable enough for my living room)

But the betas and the stable do not. I tried hosting them on a nas with smb, but it was significantly slower especially when entering the movies list (~750 movies) where it took about 4-5 seconds to enter, or to return to the library after stopping playback. I wasn't happy with that.

I use dropbox to sync them on windows boxes and with local thumbs, entering the movies takes about a second or two.

Another question is (a little off topic but wth) in openelec the mce remote works ok for the most part, but no context menu button setup and during playback, if you push the ok button, instead of bringing up osd, it does "zoom". Is that the case for everyone or just me? :-)
+1 for OpenELEC
(2012-09-19, 23:22)aptalca Wrote: How do you guys sync thumbs on openelec?

I know their development (frodo) builds take care of it with jmarshall's new thumb caching system. (The builds weren't stable enough for my living room)

But the betas and the stable do not. I tried hosting them on a nas with smb, but it was significantly slower especially when entering the movies list (~750 movies) where it took about 4-5 seconds to enter, or to return to the library after stopping playback. I wasn't happy with that.

I use dropbox to sync them on windows boxes and with local thumbs, entering the movies takes about a second or two.

Another question is (a little off topic but wth) in openelec the mce remote works ok for the most part, but no context menu button setup and during playback, if you push the ok button, instead of bringing up osd, it does "zoom". Is that the case for everyone or just me? :-)

As one of the OpenELEC Frodo builders... I need to clarify a couple of points:
a) You only get the new thumb caching with Frodo
b) You need to remember Frodo is only Alpha so at times there are stability issues. Having said that I run it on my main HTPC without issue.
Since my linux knowledge is none Smile is there a place to download xbmc openelec with frodo ( without having to built it?)
[Unofficial]: OpenELEC Frodo Builds
Thanks a lot Smile
+1 for Openelec. I've just moved two HTPCs from Windows with MediaPortal to Openelec 2.0. I've had a little bit of experience with linux before but I wouldn't say I'm a competent user still.

Both machines are now tweaked out, linked to my Media Portal server for live TV and linked back to an SQL database so both machines are fundamentally synched in terms of content.

Aside from a wake up bug that I can't nail down (on both machines) they are leagues ahead of my Windows based solution.
(2012-10-30, 12:14)psycho.circus Wrote: Aside from a wake up bug that I can't nail down (on both machines) they are leagues ahead of my Windows based solution.

I've been running OpenElec for a few weeks now and I also have a wakeup/poweron issue I cannot figure out. It hurts the WAF because she doesn't like using it if she has to turn it on and it boots to a black screen, hold the poweroff button down for 4 secs then turn it back on to work. So far this has been a big issue and enough of one that I am going to try XBMCbuntu. I'm new to Linux but not to trying things out.

Also, for me is I have built an unraid server and am using mysql and hosting the thumbs on the server. The guide I am using has walkthroughs with how to setup simlinks with a majority of setups but none for OpenElec. I think the only option I will have is using XBMCbuntu. Hopefully the power on/off issues do not follow me there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu Vs. OpenELEC0