Re-scan NFO's and update library
Hi all,
i've searched an answer for this everywhere, unsuccessfully...
I've all my movies in a folder, each with it's NFO file and thumb.
I'm looking to configure XBMC so that, if I update any info in the NFO, whey i run the library update, XBMC re-scans the nfo's looking for changes and updates it's DB.

For what i discovered so far, the only way to update the infos, is to remove the library and reinsert it. Is that possible?

I've tried to clean the library and to rescan it, but it does not update info.
There is no such option. You don't have to remove and rescan though, just open the info screen for the movie (press 'i') and select "refresh". It will then ask you if it should use the locally stored info.
(2012-09-19, 20:19)sialivi Wrote: There is no such option. You don't have to remove and rescan though, just open the info screen for the movie (press 'i') and select "refresh". It will then ask you if it should use the locally stored info.

Thank you very much for your answer! But if I need to update a few hundred movies, there isn't a "global refresh" option?
Use the context menu on the movies source folder, and select set content. Choose none. Then repeat the process, but choose Movies as the content, and it will refresh that source with all local .nfos.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Before ever launching XBMC I prepared the .nfo files in viMediaManager, then hoped XBMC would just deal with the nfo files. No, it had to scrape the entire database again, taking up another 12 hours!!

Now I follow these instructions, set content to none, remove from library, then set back to movies. It's scraping again!! WTF!?!

Is there an accepted workflow for being able to manage your database outside of XBMC and updating XBMC's DB afterwards?

I'm thinking I should have:

Import all sources without NFO files. Big scrape ensues.
Export the library as separate NFO files when the initial import is done
Now edit these NFOs in viMediaManager
Do the refesh steps described above

Would that work? And then I assume the scraping will be skipped and re-adding these should be as quick as cleaning the library??

I'm really kind of sad I've thrown away so much time trying to get something simple to work

Or is it just a bug? I'm running Raspbmc, which I believe is running Frodo
When nfo files are available, scraping goes very fast and doesn't use internet. I think something is wrong with your settings. Do you have every movie in separate directory, and did you checked such option in scraper settings?
every movie is in its own folder. i did.

I'm thinking i approached it wrong. i think i should have used XBMC to do my initial add to library, let it scrape (forever!), then after that, export to XML (separate files), then from then on ViMediaManager should be ok?
It's your choice. I first generate nfo, then add directory to library.
I think it might have had something to do with the hard drives themselves. I had a exFAT and an MacOS Extended (Journaled), both of which I've discovered are read-only in Linux. That means all of the associated metadata that I didn't retrieve in ViMM (on my mac) couldn't be stored with the movies themselves, meaning yes, based on my settings, it had to be downloaded again.

I'm going to make a guide at some point. It was ridiculous how much BS I've had to go through just to import some movies. It really shouldn't be that tough. i.e. better warning/error messages to the user.
i realize the post is old, but you can use MediaCompanion which allows you to change the nfo files and links to XBMC
Windows? What's that? :p

Thanks anyway. I had been using viMediaManager which has been good. Anyway, I have a decent system / procedure working now. Happy the initial import is done.
Maybe I am wrong; but the JSON API allows you to do a library or per directory update. You can even use curl from the command line...
(2014-01-23, 00:39)jacintech.fire Wrote: Maybe I am wrong; but the JSON API allows you to do a library or per directory update. You can even use curl from the command line...

You're not entirely wrong, however rescanning the library won't reload the NFO for an item that is already present in the library. What you need to do is remove the media item then re-scan so that the media item (including updated NFO) is reloaded - effectively what the "Refresh" GUI option does.

If you want to automate this try the script in my sig which supports this behaviour with the "qax" option (description of feature here).

For instance, if you have updated a bunch of movie NFOs and want just the modified items to be reloaded:
Code:
./texturecache.py qax movies @qaperiod=-1 @qa.nfo.refresh=today
will reload any NFO modified since 00:00:00 today. Specify a positive number for relative periods, ie. @qa.nfo.refresh=1 for modifications since yesterday 00:00:00, or specify an absolute date/time.

The qa/qax options are designed to identify media with "quality problems" - ie. missing artwork, or with blank fields (eg. plot). You can configure these "rules" yourself. The default is to "fail" movies or tvshows with missing artwork (fanart/poster and fanart/poster/banner/thumb respectively) and blank plots. The "qa" option will identify the media items with incomplete metadata, and the qax will go one step further and force reload them (remove, then rescan).

You will, unfortunately, lose any remote artwork associated with your re-scanned media, so it's best to have all your artwork stored locally if you expect it to be there once the movie (or tvshow/episode) is "added back" - consider using the mklocal.py script (available in the same github repo) to convert remote artwork to local. If you want to (re-)assign non-standard artwork (ie. artwork other than fanart and poster, such as clearlogo or discart) to your movies/tvshows then again you can use the mklocal.py script.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Re-scan NFO's and update library0