Smooth playback of 1080p DTS mkv files - interim solution
Big Grin 
I got my Pi and i'm currently loving it as my xbmc media player. Like most people here, i was bummed when it wouldn't play my ripped 1080p DTS mkv files smoothly. I tried all overclocking options without any good enough results. I don't have a hdmi receiver for the passthrough that was suggested, so that was not an option either. After lots of reading, someone suggested demuxing the audio, convert it to ac3, remuxing it back. Sounds like a pain and it is if you had to do it manually one step at a time.

Well, i found a freeware that does the audio conversion easily with an easy to use gui. It's called Popcorn Audio Converter. It's a nice gui for a variety of audio conversions and it can automatically download any missing apps required for the audio conversion. Besides the fact that it's easily convert dts to ac3, it allows you to save the dts track and add the ac3 track to it or you can just remove the dts track completely. when the Pi does have dts hardware decoding unlocked or any other players that have dts decoding capabilities, the same video file can be used without losing the dts features.

Converting dts to ac3 5.1 still have some choppy playback but less than playing with the dts track so i went with ac3 2.0 stereo and that was the sweet spot. My 1080p videos are playing very smoothly with the audio. Since my pi connects directly to my tv, stereo output was fine, for me. Remember to check the box to preserve the dts track.

The Popcorn Audio Converter has a good tutorial in its help menu if you need it like i did.

I'm currently using Raspbmc rc4 - arm_freq overclock to 800. This is from the installer setup.

Thank you Pi foundation for the board, xbmc/raspbmc/popcorn audio converter for the software to make all this happen!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smooth playback of 1080p DTS mkv files - interim solution0