Major Video playback Issues, Help!
Question 
Hello, this is my first XBMC experience and my first post, I will be as direct as possible.

I am running XBMC on ATV2. I currently have Aeon Nox Skin running and a few ad-ons. When I play a movie from IceFilms, it usually will run fine. (other Vid add-ons however, are a different story)

The MAJOR problem is when I stream films from my home database. I have a 1Tb Lacie Design by Neil Pollution HardDrive connected to the readyShare port of a Netgear WNDR 3400 (n600).

This allows my media to be picked up by xbmc with no dedicated computer. However, no media will play with out constant f-f-freezing, and g-g-glitching.

I concluded one link in the chain is slowing down the rest. Either the ATV2 cannot decode and play the media from the hard drive fast enough, or the harddrive is not sending fast enough, or the router is not sending fast enough. I am leaning toward the former, or (I hope) there are some settings in XBMC or ATV2 that can be adjusted to fix playback.

I have Dirty Regions enabled. Speedtest.net has my DL Speed: 28.9mbs and Upload Speed: 5.5mbps.

Any thoughts, suggestions or insights would be awesome.

Cheers,
Ryan
From a quick google search it sounds like the Samba/SMB server on that router is finicky with Apple hardware. Try to see if it works if you use FTP instead of SMB.
Awesome! Thanks for your suggestion.

Just switched to FTP from HTTP and it helped a LOT. Movies are watchable now, but im still getting buffering every minute or so for a few seconds. Would a ftp (via internet) be faster? And are there any other tricks to speed this up?
I had that problem when i was sharing through SMB aswell, switched over to NFS share nas -> atv2. Works like a charm!

With Netgears WNCR3400 using readyShare, my options are sharing over FTP, HTTP, FTP (via internet) or HTTP (via internet). I figure all of these options will work about the same in streaming HD movies, however I will go through and let everyone know what I find.

Anyone else running a atv2 version of XBMC with no dedicated computer?
Which method are you using?

My XBMC is going though library clean up at the moment, so I'll let you know what works best after.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Major Video playback Issues, Help!1