Fanless Embedded HTPC Recommendations
I've not been following the HTPC-build scene for a couple of years since 1st buying my Shuttle XS35GT v2. It has 2GB of RAM and a 32GB SSD, and runs the old XBMC Linux Live CD with a monthly custom-compiled XBMC running the Neon skin. It's perfect.

I'm now looking to add a second machine to the network. I would have no issues about just buying another one but they don't seem to be manufactured / sold in many places now, and the places they are they seem a bit expensive for their spec. So I was just wondering what the recommended up-to-date alternative would be to my Shuttle to purchase in the here and now (I don't want to have to resort to camping eBay for a 2nd hand Shuttle). I'm willing to spend about £200 on the barebones then SSD and RAM as extra.

Any advice?
I'd recommend looking into the Acer Revo RL70-UR10P. It's an awesome pre-built machine that comes pre-installed with Windows 7.

I've set this up with XBMC for many friends and neighbors that wanted a pre-built system.

And it's in your price range. Big Grin
As amazing as that looks, is there an Intel-based variant, maybe in ION? This machine is going to be running Linux so the AMD GPU isn't the best thing.
(2012-09-20, 15:33)IAmNotAUser Wrote: As amazing as that looks, is there an Intel-based variant, maybe in ION? This machine is going to be running Linux so the AMD GPU isn't the best thing.

Great question,...I don't know, but I can try to find out.
I've never had to worry about it,...since, my friends/neighbors would think "Ubuntu" is probably the latest curse word. Big Grin
It's a problem at the moment, ion2+gt218 I think is the best choice around, I personally have the acer revo 3700, but it's now being superseded with new intel chips that are not 100% compatable and expensive, I suggest a zotac ion2 if you can find one, or an android based armlogic box
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fanless Embedded HTPC Recommendations0