What is the best ~$100 XBMC box?
while it's not anywhere near $100, what are your thoughts on this one: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-EB1033-B0100-...1033-B0100
I think shuttle v3 is better Wink
better - or better because it's cheaper?

I currently have a EEEbox running my XBMC, but I'm thinking about using that box as my download client and getting a new XBMC host.
Hopefully around march 13 Ouya will probably be the best 99$ box for xbmc. Plus you can play games on it.
I'm not so sure about that... When it comes out it will be really outdated, sold with no remote and worst for the ouya team, hackable a lot!
Right now there are dozens of android boxes, they just lack the support from developers + the android xbmc is still beta.
I think that Ouya will start the whole android media center thing and push it on the right tracks and when that happens every china company will make a dozen models for us to choose from with the open sourced ouya software already on, or easily installed in home.
You can see there are tons of interesting boxes already, you can even put a 3,5" harddrive in some (I would personally love that part!) others have really cool remotes etc. Ouya will be big for gaming, but not for media centers. IMHO
Idk tegra 3 is a beast for movie playback and it does have a controller that will function fine as a remote.Remember this is only 99$. I don't know if you remember the old xbox days, but what made it so great was that everything automatically worked. There was no keymap mapping necessary, or event ghost. Launching other homebrew apps was really easy and there was a huge software collection to choose from.I think Ouya will bring that feeling back with a large userbase and high developer interest. Assuming there business doesn't crash and burn before Ouya sees the light of day. Having a open console is risky business but i think the market is right for it. People are ok with buying digitally distributed software. It will be more convenient to pay 4.99$ for an app or game then figuring out how to pirate the software. I would hope anyways.
(2012-09-21, 22:55)stadtjunge Wrote: better - or better because it's cheaper?

I currently have a EEEbox running my XBMC, but I'm thinking about using that box as my download client and getting a new XBMC host.

I dont think there is a passive cooling eee while shuttle is, it has a sufficient gpu (with separate ram) for htpc and its cheaper....
What about the XIOS DS Media box. Its android but from what i've seen you can install xbmc for linux or xbmc android on it. It comes with a remote, works great through wifi, and is around $100

Here is a link to the specs
SPECS FOR XIOS
Here is a link to buy one
BUY ON NEWEGG
The Ouya is a few months away,.....I'm very tempted to pre-order one since it will be designed to run XBMC.
and it's $99
Throw in a remote for Ouya or at least the capability to use a universal IR remote with it and I am sold.
(2013-01-08, 17:30)ozkhan1 Wrote: Throw in a remote for Ouya or at least the capability to use a universal IR remote with it and I am sold.

If nothing else, a smartphone (or tablet) should be usable as a remote (yatse and the like). But I agree, being able to use a Harmony or something else with physical buttons would be highly desirable. The ouya does have a USB port as I remember, and since their motto is open, it shouldnt be too hard to add support for it I would think. Im keeping a close eye on it as well.
and since we're on the subject of Ouya,....
I am supremely impressed with the Android 4.1 OS. JellyBean

As this matures,...I really think this could be a serious threat to Windows.
In my estimation,....the first PCs were pretty much brought so people could play Solitaire.

Windows has become a monster. It's no longer fun to use,....and there is no real excitement out there for the next versions of Windows.
Android on the other hand,..is Extremely fun to use,...and if made into a desktop OS could be a winner.

But I digress,....... Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best ~$100 XBMC box?0