*Noob Question* - Old CPU as HTPC
Question 
Is there any reason (outside of maybe noise/form factor) that an old desktop cpu wouldn't work as a htpc? There seem to be quite a bit for sale on places like Craigslist for less than a newer pure htpc build would cost. Things to look for in particular? Things to avoid?
What CPU?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I found this online for under $200:

motherboard: IPIBl-l8
CPU: core2quad 3.0 ghz 8 cores
RAM: 4GB DDR2
HDD: 2x 360gb Seagate
TV Tuner and Wifi card.

I'd want it to be able to serve as a DVR for antenna channels, and I'd want to add a bluray drive.
(2012-09-20, 22:15)YolkiZelyoni Wrote: I found this online for under $200:

motherboard: IPIBl-l8
CPU: core2quad 3.0 ghz 8 cores
RAM: 4GB DDR2
HDD: 2x 360gb Seagate
TV Tuner and Wifi card.

I'd want it to be able to serve as a DVR for antenna channels, and I'd want to add a bluray drive.
Install AMD HD6570 discrete GPU in it, and you'll have a very powerful HTPC.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
core2quad is way more powerful than other cpus people are using for htpc, like e350.
Core2Quad does not have 8 cores. You need to fine out exactly what CPU it is. Craigs list is known for exaggerating specs. But if its a Q9650 3.0Mhz its worth $200 by itself. So something is fishy. Who know what it is

Anything short of a single core P4 will do. like BR said just add a new GPU with HDMI and your good. The newer the more power efficient they are. I even did a build with a P4 3.2 and a Nvidia 210. It worked and played 1080p but it was hot and loud. I mean noisy and it caused some electrical interference with my LCD some how. Probably the PSU.

I'm running on a 2.8Ghz P4 (Northwood) single core with 512MB of RAM. Works just fine for streaming off the web (Netflix, YouTube, Free Cable, etc), my ripped DVD collection, and my home movies.

(2012-09-21, 09:19)Jetster Wrote: Core2Quad does not have 8 cores. You need to fine out exactly what CPU it is. Craigs list is known for exaggerating specs. But if its a Q9650 3.0Mhz its worth $200 by itself. So something is fishy. Who know what it is

Anything short of a single core P4 will do. like BR said just add a new GPU with HDMI and your good. The newer the more power efficient they are. I even did a build with a P4 3.2 and a Nvidia 210. It worked and played 1080p but it was hot and loud. I mean noisy and it caused some electrical interference with my LCD some how. Probably the PSU.

You're right, that cpu has 4 cores

However, because of hyper-threading, certain applications recognize it as having 2x or 8 cores.
yes, but that doens't make it an 8 core preocessor.
Core i3s aren't quadcore-cpus either and some people don't consider amds FX as 8 core processors.

But that doensn't matter, anything clocked over 3Ghz single core or 2.4 dual should be fine, as long as you got hardware acceleration for Hd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
*Noob Question* - Old CPU as HTPC0