• 2(current)
NextPVR (NPVR) First Impressions
As wilee mentioned on the original post, with the current NextPVR release (2.5.5), you do need a couple of patches added to get the addon working. It's pretty straight forward though.

In the next week or so I'll do a new NextPVR release which includes it by default. If anyone can't wait, and already has NextPVR setup working, and can't wait, and wants to get the xbmc addon working, left me know and I'll give you the couple of files and instructions.
BTW, if anyone is setup for building the pvr addons on Linux or Raspberry Pi, and would like to give the NextPVR plugin a go, I'd love to hear how's you get on. I have built it under a Linux VM, and seen it pulling back tv listings etc, but the vm was too slow to play video.
(2012-09-20, 22:04)wileecoyote Wrote: While I also love ForTheRecord it is missing HD-PVR & Colossus support

ForTheRecord not supporting HD-PVR?

What have I missed then in the past year with it using it for recording all my digital channels including HD ones?

Interesting enough I went the other way around, although NextPVR was relatively easy to set up and use, it lacked the wow factor that XBMC has as a media center software. I don't remember it had scheduling options as flexible as the ones of ftr.

I was very hesitant to move from NextPVR to XBMC PVR (In Dev of course) + FTR as to have a single UI to play everything, now I don't regret the change and I am just looking forward to more improvements to come in Frodo.

(2012-09-21, 04:03)javich Wrote: ForTheRecord not supporting HD-PVR?

What have I missed then in the past year with it using it for recording all my digital channels including HD ones?

Interesting enough I went the other way around, although NextPVR was relatively easy to set up and use, it lacked the wow factor that XBMC has as a media center software. I don't remember it had scheduling options as flexible as the ones of ftr.

I was very hesitant to move from NextPVR to XBMC PVR (In Dev of course) + FTR as to have a single UI to play everything, now I don't regret the change and I am just looking forward to more improvements to come in Frodo.

ForTheRecord currently does not support the Hauppauge HD-PVR or the Hauppauge Colossus tuners. I think mainly due to the need for external blasters :-(

Now that sub is working on XBMC integration, you can have NPVR on the back end and have the XBMC wow factor on the front end. ;-)

I can't speak to what scheduling options were available when you used it last, but NPVR seems to be very close to other packages now as to how/what/when you can schedule. I have been doing more research on it tonight and have found many other features I was not aware of (of course I have only been using it for 24 hours.)

I do agree with you on using FTR as a single back end. Again, if I were able to use it solely and get rid of MediaPortal I wouldnt be looking for other options. FTR is also a great piece of software, it unfortunately doesn't fill all my requirements.
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
(2012-09-21, 04:37)wileecoyote Wrote: ForTheRecord currently does not support the Hauppauge HD-PVR or the Hauppauge Colossus tuners.

I see, you were referring to specific hardware as opposed to the actual software capability of recording from HD channels.

Yep definitely not an option if the software and hardware don't play nice together.

@wilee, out interest how straight forward is it to setup external stb blasting with NPVR ? - I currently just use an MCE receiver with the blasters plugged in and some plugin that I found for MePo TVServer. Is any other software required for this to work with NPVR or is there some built in blaster handling?

Also, can you combine channels ? - I have 2x DVB-S2 tuners and one HD-PVR with a cable stb, some channels can be received across ALL tuners, so I'd be looking to combine them like I have in MePo, is this possible?
(2012-09-21, 12:28)Swifty Wrote: @wilee, out interest how straight forward is it to setup external stb blasting with NPVR ? - I currently just use an MCE receiver with the blasters plugged in and some plugin that I found for MePo TVServer. Is any other software required for this to work with NPVR or is there some built in blaster handling?

Also, can you combine channels ? - I have 2x DVB-S2 tuners and one HD-PVR with a cable stb, some channels can be received across ALL tuners, so I'd be looking to combine them like I have in MePo, is this possible?

When you set up the analog device, you assign the video & audio inputs, blasting info, etc... You have to use third party software, I use IRSS. I only set up the HD-PVR initially on my laptop to ensure it worked, but didn't have any issues.

I'm not sure about combining channels. Someone else asked that earlier and I meant to look, but forgot. I will check it later this evening when I get home from work.

I am getting ready move my htpc from DVBLink for HDPVR + MCE to NPVR + XBMC if someone can get it running on a Raspberry Pi. The lack of PVR support in XBMC has been the one thing keeping me from switching from MCE. Can't wait until I get my Raspberry PI to test all this stuff.

Thanks Sub3 and wileecoyote for all the work.
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
I want to add that I used NPVR with my HD-PVR up until recently (I just don't record much anymore), and it supports firewire channel changing, with external software. IR blasting seemed too messy for me.

On the negative side, the resulting .ts recordings don't seem to play well in XBMCbuntu. It's probably a codec issue, but I didn't look into it too far.

Tobor
(2012-09-21, 16:09)Tobor Wrote: I want to add that I used NPVR with my HD-PVR up until recently (I just don't record much anymore), and it supports firewire channel changing, with external software. IR blasting seemed too messy for me.

On the negative side, the resulting .ts recordings don't seem to play well in XBMCbuntu. It's probably a codec issue, but I didn't look into it too far.

Tobor

Good to know. I use IP channel changing currently with MCE, hopefully I can setup the same with NPVR.
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
(2012-09-21, 15:11)w84no1 Wrote: Thanks Sub3 and wileecoyote for all the work.

All the credit goes to Sub3, I am just a user looking for a better experience Smile
(2012-09-21, 17:17)wileecoyote Wrote:
(2012-09-21, 15:11)w84no1 Wrote: Thanks Sub3 and wileecoyote for all the work.

All the credit goes to Sub3, I am just a user looking for a better experience Smile

I would have never known about using NPVR as a backend unless you tried it.
Thanks for reply Wileecoyote and Sub3,

I have some more questions

I take it than that you can specify shedules based on keywords in epg desctiption. Would be interesting to see the "advanced" options Sub3 talk about. Because the schedulling options of 4TR is excellent. Some of my schedules are like "search desctiption for word xxxxxxxx on channels xx + xx + xx in timeframe 18:00-23:00"
Also ofcourse the autopurge of recordings, Keep for xx days, Keep xx recordings, delete when watched etc.

Also love the way 4TR integrates and transfer all my channel logos automatic to all clients.

But what I really miss is the ability to stream recordings and live-tv. Could you tell some more how this work, are there quality options, can you do it in original quality ?

(2012-09-21, 12:28)Swifty Wrote: Also, can you combine channels ? - I have 2x DVB-S2 tuners and one HD-PVR with a cable stb, some channels can be received across ALL tuners, so I'd be looking to combine them like I have in MePo, is this possible?
Yes, you can combine the channels.

(2012-09-21, 18:10)KRA77 Wrote: I take it than that you can specify shedules based on keywords in epg desctiption. Would be interesting to see the "advanced" options Sub3 talk about. Because the schedulling options of 4TR is excellent. Some of my schedules are like "search desctiption for word xxxxxxxx on channels xx + xx + xx in timeframe 18:00-23:00"
Also ofcourse the autopurge of recordings, Keep for xx days, Keep xx recordings, delete when watched etc.
There is a few different ways you can do keyword recordings. You can either use the 'auto records' feature in the web interface (screenshot attached), or in the app you can specify an advanced SQL-like rule in NextPVR's Recording screen like title like '%news%' (or much more complicated rules)

I'm guess 4TR has put more emphasis on these types of recording rules than NextPVR, but I'm sure NextPVR can meet most people's scheduling needs. I can always take suggestions for new features though if you find things lacking.

Quote:Also love the way 4TR integrates and transfer all my channel logos automatic to all clients.
The nextpvr addon automatically transfers logos to the clients aswell.

Quote:But what I really miss is the ability to stream recordings and live-tv. Could you tell some more how this work, are there quality options, can you do it in original quality ?
Do mean streaming from the web interface? You can do this, but I cant tell you too much about it. Most of the web stuff (NEWA) is developed by another guy and it's not really something I use. The app itself has got some pretty good streaming abilities though. For example, in VLC you can just open a network connection to http://<server>:8866/live?channel=2 to watch channel 2, and it'll stream the full bitrate.

Sub3,

Thank you for detailed reply and screenshot.

I must say it looks really promising. you left out one of my questions though,

autopurge (automatic delete recordings), does it support it ?

Also does it support full dvb based epg (full, not only now/next) ?

I think that's all I need to know before I'm ready to install and test Smile
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NextPVR (NPVR) First Impressions2