• 4(current)
NextPVR (NPVR) First Impressions
OT:
@margro: Doesn't sound as good as I hoped. Without timeshift the WAF is at the bottom. Would love to see this in XBMC. Could you explain what does XBMC lack of so that timeshift is not possible? Is it only because other PVR programs don't have timeshift or is it because its technical difficulty? Timeshift is for me the only issue why I have to use other htpc applications.

@haf-blade, if you use margro builds you get timeshift in xbmc.

http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc

@alfredo

My personal experience is mediaportal is far superior to xbmc when it comes to live-tv, at least if you use quality codecs (powerdvd was very good when I used it)
Oh. I'll have a look at this.

I also think that MediaPortal is really better in live-tv issues at the moment.

The point is that a combination of XBMCs flexibility and MediaPortals TV would be the perfect system we all would love Tongue
The fact that xbmc is crossplatform is a big bonus, and the biggest reason I use it.

But live-tv is far behind most of the alternatives that are not crossplatform, I had hope it had progressed more by now, afaik it's the xbmc development that is stalling not the addons, There are already plenty of plugins and backend for live-tv solution, but they all seem to be limited by xbmc development. If the problem is lack of developers or strickt regime I don't know, I guess they don't want to mess up something that is built into xbmc, so I understand if there is a strickt regime that controls what code will be added.

I really like the idea of a unified live-tv solution in xbmc where it's backend independent, but I had hoped that live-tv in xbmc was limited by backend options and not the other way around.
Dushmaniac cleaned up some code that I was using to provide the timeshift functionality during the last cleanup round for the Frodo merge.
I commented on that removal that I need it and he said that he will be happy to include it later (via a pull request from my side).
Main problem for me to get the timeshift stuff ready for Frodo was lack of time due to my holidays and other activities.
I'm currently investigating what is missing and hopefully I can prepare a pull request in time before Frodo enters the "feature freeze" state. I've heard that is is going to happen soon (but no date).

@KRA77: it's not the strict regime, more lack of manpower to make everything happen in time. Just consider what happened during the last month: we went from Frodo without any planned PVR features to "full PVR" included and the amount of pvr addons almost doubled in one month. This effort required a lot of work of both Team XBMC and many other volunteers (like me).
I'm still recovering from the removal of the pvr addons from the main source tree Wink I've done most of the monkey work to get the Windows compilation of the pvr addons up-and-running again.
Next on my list is to reduce code duplication between the MediaPortal and ForTheRecord addons and to remove the dependency on curl and libsmbclient.

So just be patient. Timeshift support will be back but I can't promise that it will be ready in time for inclusion in Frodo.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
Oh my god, Margro. This sound good. Smile
I thought that no one really works on time shift functionalities because I always looked into the wrong trees Tongue
I love all of your and the developers works and I'm looking forward to all of this.
(2012-09-24, 19:33)margro Wrote: Dushmaniac cleaned up some code that I was using to provide the timeshift functionality during the last cleanup round for the Frodo merge.
I commented on that removal that I need it and he said that he will be happy to include it later (via a pull request from my side).
Main problem for me to get the timeshift stuff ready for Frodo was lack of time due to my holidays and other activities.
I'm currently investigating what is missing and hopefully I can prepare a pull request in time before Frodo enters the "feature freeze" state. I've heard that is is going to happen soon (but no date).

@KRA77: it's not the strict regime, more lack of manpower to make everything happen in time. Just consider what happened during the last month: we went from Frodo without any planned PVR features to "full PVR" included and the amount of pvr addons almost doubled in one month. This effort required a lot of work of both Team XBMC and many other volunteers (like me).
I'm still recovering from the removal of the pvr addons from the main source tree Wink I've done most of the monkey work to get the Windows compilation of the pvr addons up-and-running again.
Next on my list is to reduce code duplication between the MediaPortal and ForTheRecord addons and to remove the dependency on curl and libsmbclient.

So just be patient. Timeshift support will be back but I can't promise that it will be ready in time for inclusion in Frodo.

And with all that said, please support your favorite addon by donating. Duchmaniac, Margro, RedF, Sub and many others have put in a lot of time for your enjoyment. If you appreciate their efforts throw a few bucks their way. :-)
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
Before making everybody too happy:
I'm talking only about timeshift support for backends that already have it, like MediaPortal, ForTheRecord and MythTV.
This means that XBMC needs only minimal extension to forward "pause", "forward" and "rewind" to the pvr addon if the addon reports that it supports timeshifting. The pvr addon itself should handle these commands accordingly to provide the timeshift feature.
I'm not adding internal timeshift support to the XBMC core.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
@Marcel

thanks for clearing up the code and timeshifting question.

Just for sticking a little to the topic, I guess NextPVR would be one of those taking advantage of your timeshift code then.
@Margro: It's like it's expected. Smile
@KRA77: Correct. For me it was not clear that it's like this and I'm reading on this forum everyday. Writing this in a sticky thread and clearing everything a little bit would be really great. Will there be some anouncement in the near future about pvr support?
In my NextPVR plugin for Eden http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140978 it is absolutely possible to time shift a recording if the destination file is on a share.

Martin
ok, now I'm a bit confused. (a little less after the link was updated)

Are there 2 plugins currently in development ? Or will nextpvr only be supported via programs addon ?

I see the program addon is over 2 years old, are there any updates ? Does it work with the version currently available or do we need to wait for next release of nextpvr ?

I'm very ready to test, but I only have linux clients (WHS2011 for backend, currently running 4TR), and compiling from git etc is not something I'm familiar with.
(2012-09-25, 18:10)KRA77 Wrote: ok, now I'm a bit confused. (a little less after the link was updated)

Are there 2 plugins currently in development ? Or will nextpvr only be supported via programs addon ?

I see the program addon is over 2 years old, are there any updates ? Does it work with the version currently available or do we need to wait for next release of nextpvr ?

I'm very ready to test, but I only have linux clients (WHS2011 for backend, currently running 4TR), and compiling from git etc is not something I'm familiar with.

I was afraid when emveepee posted above it would confuse people...

Yes, there are two seperate plugins. The one discussed in this thread refers to the official XBMC PVR addon being developed by Sub3. The one emveepee is referring to is his own development effort.
XBMC PVR Addon Unofficial Builds for Frodo Nightly Builds.
http://www.dotnetdevelopers.net/xbmc
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, I'm actually testing to install nextpvr2.5.5 now.

Seems pretty straightforward, and I think I've set it up correct, but it fails. When trying to play video I get an error "unable to find available capture device" However looking at the logs it seems like it locks on the channels, so I believe the error is wrong. I figure it might have something to do with the fact that I'm trying to run nextpvr on a WHS2011 installation via remote desktop.

So I figure I'd try via web, but also web fails, no response from port 8866 on my server Sad

still looking into it.

During installation I also notice something familiar (from 4tr), reverse tuner priority for live-tv, so I guess there isn't any conflict managment in nextpvr ? (live-tv vs recordings)

EDIT: got web working (added recording service to firewall rules) but didn't help, since I have no epg I'm unable to try start channel from there. Have posted on nextpvr forums, hopefully someone can point me in right direction.
(2012-09-25, 20:27)KRA77 Wrote: During installation I also notice something familiar (from 4tr), reverse tuner priority for live-tv, so I guess there isn't any conflict managment in nextpvr ? (live-tv vs recordings)
Recordings have priority over live tv. If a recording is about to occur on a device that is in use for live tv, it'll try to find an alternative tuner to use for the recording, before it'll steal the tuner from the live tv session. The 'reverse priority for live tv' setting can be used to minimise the likelihood of this happening in multi-tuner setups.

• 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NextPVR (NPVR) First Impressions2