The best Skin for XBMC on Raspberry Pi?
I'm going to give Quartz a try tonight. Just finish setting up my first PI and menu lag is bad.

Will also try the turbo mod for OC as I believe this is out now?
I tried Quartz last night and it was a little slow. I have now gone back to Confluance, I will be trying Bello when the new release comes out
Amber (see signature) - works brilliantly on my XBian Pi ...
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
and? Smile your findings?
Aeon Nox is still my favorite.

Things run a bit slow, but if you overclock, it is fine.

I do not mind 20 seconds to see movies lists, which seems to occur the first time, after, seems cached.

Since I never reboot, it is usually fine for me. When you watch a movier/tv show, it is solid, which is really what we want to see, correct?
Just tried out Amber and it works amazingly well.. Only missing one thing (the recently added movies) on the homescreen when in Horizontal mode.. Other than that it's perfect.
I scared that it's a WIP. Smile

Do I have to mess about with github or is there an easier way to install it?
(2013-07-16, 17:51)LjStronge Wrote: I scared that it's a WIP. Smile

Its very stable, my Pi hasn't failed once since I installed it - It's is just about to be pushed to release so you will be able to access it soon from normal repo.

Quote:Do I have to mess about with github or is there an easier way to install it?

You just need to install the WIP repo - Go back to page two of this thread for directionsSmile
(2013-07-16, 17:51)LjStronge Wrote: I scared that it's a WIP. Smile

Do I have to mess about with github or is there an easier way to install it?

It's very stable. Not had a single crash.
Either add the WIP repo, or download the ZIP file listed at the start of the Amber thread - either way works.
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
Ok thanks

I'll play tonight.

Amber
Bello
ACE

are the three I will be trying.

Thanks guys
(2013-07-17, 17:48)LjStronge Wrote: Ok thanks

I'll play tonight.

Amber
Bello
ACE

Thanks guys

Can you give the results of the 3 skins you tried and what one you picked...
Cheers
(2013-08-11, 12:17)Jay La Funk Wrote:
(2013-07-17, 17:48)LjStronge Wrote: Ok thanks

I'll play tonight.

Amber
Bello
ACE

Thanks guys

Can you give the results of the 3 skins you tried and what one you picked...
Cheers

I used all those on 256 mb Rpi. Best choice performance wise is Amber. A also it has very nice set of features, very pretty and rock stable. Second place goes to Bello. It slower than Amber and I had few crashes with it. I guess it was out of memory. So if you have 512mb Rpi you may not be affected by this. Also overclocking and installing system on fast usb stick would for sure increase performance with Bello to perfectly acceptable level. Ace is the last one, even with bells and whistles turned off i.e widgets and so on it's too slow to use it.

upd. Actually since i own RPi from the very beginning and tried a lot of skins, i have more information Smile So, skins that i found fast enougn to use on RPi:
1. Default Confluence and its mods. It's fast and with mods you may have some nice advanced features. My problem with Confluence is that i hate it. Smile
2. ATV clones. Quartz, xTV-SAF, Si02/x. All of those are run fast on RPi (late versions of xTV are the fastest, i think), have customisation abilities and other nice features. Highly recommended.
3. reFocus, the original one. It's heavy outdated Eden skin, but after install (manual only, http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-focus/downloads/list) it runs on Frodo pretty good. Not such eye candy as reFocus big, but it's less resources hungry. reFocus BIG is too big for 256mb RPi, and i think for 512mb too.
4. Metropolis, old versions 1.x have pretty good performance on PRi, current v 2.xx is less acceptable. However with overcloking and usb intall you may try it.
5. nbox. The skin created with performance on RPi in mind so it very fast. But there's a major deal breaker for me - only one view for all your media.
6. MetroTV It's not finished WIP, but it's finished enough to use it. With turned off animations skin is fast and has really nice viewtypes. Also supports clerart, logos and other staff people loves so much.
7. Immersive. It's runs fast enough, but i find this skin really wierd.
8. Bello. Very beatiful skin, but see above.
9. My all time favorite - Amber. See above.

PS. Please be realistic with RPi performance. You CANNOT run any demanding skin on it without unacceptable delays when navigating. Forget about Aeons/Neon/Rapier/Transparency/xperience/etc. If you want run those - change the hardware.
I'll add my vote to Amber - installed on the main TV Pi in my house. Completely stable and runs smooth.
pecinko now has a Pi, and is continuing to tweak Amber to run well on it.
.del.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best Skin for XBMC on Raspberry Pi?0