[AppleTV] HDMI detection on atv1
Hi all,

I am running XBMC 11.0 on a 1stgen AppleTV using XBMCLauncher 3.25. MultiFinder boots straight in to XBMC, and my TV uses HDMI.

If I boot/reboot my AppleTV whilst my TV is turned off, when I turn my TV on the screen is black.

It seems that out-of-the-box, AppleTV OS tries to detect if a HDMI display is connected, and otherwise falls back to Component video output. If I'm in the native AppleTV menu, I can turn my TV off for a while, and then on - and after a couple of seconds it detects the HDMI display and I see a picture. (I think this is done by something called BRDisplayManager).

However, XBMC appears to be designed to disable the ATV's detection of HDMI state-change because lots of people had issues with XBMC crashing or their music stopping when they turned off their TVs.

So this means if I boot my AppleTV straight into XBMC and it didn't detect a HDMI display device before XBMC starts, HDMI is disabled for as long as XBMC stays running (and it's hard to exit XBMC when the screen is black, so I generally pull the plug to hard-reboot).

Does anyone know if there's a tweak or setting for XBMC or Xbmc-launcher that can be used to leave this HDMI detection enabled?
nope.
Crystalbuntu (wiki) would allow this to work. It might sound a little scary, but you really don't have to know any scary linux stuff and it's actually pretty easy to set up and install.
Thanks. If Davilla says there's no way to make this tweak then I'll take that as conclusive! Smile

I have played with Crystalbuntu and OpenELEC and they are very easy to get going. But I still like having the native AppleTV OS. Apple's UI for movie trailers, podcasts and YouTube is pretty nice, I like to be able to drop out of XBMC to use them sometimes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] HDMI detection on atv10