[Windows 8] XBMC RT Remote - Local Playback and PlayTo
Hi All,

I Think it's time to give my app a proper thread of it's own..

XBMC RT Remote is designed to work in the same way as my Windows Phone 7 app (XBMC REMOTE)..
There are still some functionality missing, but I'm working on it.. Just post in this thread, PM or email if you have an idea of improvement or are experiencing issues.

Features:

Supports both Eden & Frodo
WakeOnLan
Browse Albums, Artists, Musicvideos, Movies and TvShows
Enque tracks to playlists
Enque Episodes to playlist
Artists details shows Albums, songs and musicvideos
Light and dark theme is supported.
Multiple Connections
LiveTile
Scan and Clean database
Enabled / Disable fanart
Local playback via uPnP (Requires UPnP to be enabled in XBMC)
PlayTo any UPnP device (Requires UPnP to be enabled in XBMC)
Beautiful Metro design
and a lot more.

Download link

Bought it (since my trial period was over) but, this app crashes/closes as soon as I enter proper settings (friendly name, IP, port, empty username, empty password). I am using latest Frodo nightlies and my client machine is running W8/64 Enterprise (Finnish locale, if that matters).

Other "apps" are working fine with my XMBC (like Maraschino) so there is no connection problem.

Is there any (other) way to debug or hunt for the info about the crash or do you need some other information? Event log gives me these. Sorry, these are partially Finnish, but it should'nt matter. I try to [translate] those anyway. Blush

Event 1026, .NET Runtime
Sovellus [Application]: XBMCRemote.exe
Framework-versio: v4.0.30319
Kuvaus: Prosessi keskeytettiin käsittelemättömän poikkeuksen vuoksi. [Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.]
Poikkeuksen tiedot [Exception information]: System.InvalidCastException
Pino [Stack]:
kohteessa [at] System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
kohteessa [at] System.Threading.WinRTSynchronizationContext+Invoker.<InvokeCore>b__0(System.Object)
kohteessa [at] System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(System.Object)
kohteessa [at] System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
kohteessa [at] System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
kohteessa [at] System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
kohteessa [at] System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
kohteessa [at] System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

Event 1000, Application error
Viallisen sovelluksen nimi [Faulting application name]: XBMCRemote.exe, versio: 1.0.0.0, aikaleima [timestamp]: 0x504f4999
Viallisen moduulin nimi [Faulting module name]: KERNELBASE.dll, versio: 6.2.9200.16384, aikaleima [timestamp]: 0x5010ac2f
Poikkeuskoodi [Exception code]: 0xe0434352
Virhepoikkeama [Fault offset]: 0x00014b32
Viallisen prosessin tunnus [Faulting process id]: 0xa60
Viallisen sovelluksen käynnistysaika [Faulting process start time]: 0x01cd98ff43deb5b3
Viallisen sovelluksen polku [Faulting application path]: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\436337Illusions.com.XBMCRT_1.0.0.35_neutral__77hd5e1v1hqs4\XBMCRemote.exe
Viallisen moduulin polku [Faulting module path]: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Raportin tunnus [Report id]: 8dd1f338-04f2-11e2-beaf-028037ec0200
Viallisen paketin koko nimi [Faulting package full name]: 436337Illusions.com.XBMCRT_1.0.0.35_neutral__77hd5e1v1hqs4

Kodi @ Windows Server 2012 R2 | Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter
Hi Pavoor,

The issue you're experiencing has most likely to do with Frodo and either getting the movies ore albums information.
I've probably tested with an older version of Frodo than you're running since I haven't experienced any issues.
A lot of changes has been made to the results in the API in Frodo and I must have missed something.

I'll get the latest nightly tonight and see what Ia can find out.

Cheers,
Fredrik
No problem. I am used to this when using bleeding edge nightlies. Laugh
Found the issue and an update has been submitted to MS.
The new version should be available in a few days.
A new version (1.1) is now available in Store.

This should solve the issues with Frodo.
Updated and now it works. Smile

Excellent app! It's quite responsive and fast and looks great! I'm so used to Windows Phone 7 "Metro" so this feels just like home.

I found some bugs but I don't know if you want to hear about them (yet), since I'm using those bleeding edge nightlies. Most likely you don't - let's wait until Frodo is in feature freeze/beta. Laugh
(2012-09-26, 11:42)paavor Wrote: Updated and now it works. Smile

Excellent app! It's quite responsive and fast and looks great! I'm so used to Windows Phone 7 "Metro" so this feels just like home.

I found some bugs but I don't know if you want to hear about them (yet), since I'm using those bleeding edge nightlies. Most likely you don't - let's wait until Frodo is in feature freeze/beta. Laugh

Great news. Smile

Since I'm working on an update I might as well try to fix the bugs at the same time. Smile
Either post them here or send me an email and I'll do my best to fix it.

Some bugs:

- Clicking recently added movie works fine for the first time. Going back and clicking it again: thumbnail (DVD/BR cover) gets lost.
- Movies collection doesn't load at all. Spinning wheel for a while and after that blank "page". Note that I have over 1100 movies so my collection is quite large.

A couple of UI wishes:

- Text overlays over actor pictures sometimes hides actors face completely. How about showing text overlay only on mouse hover/keyboard focus?
- Text overlays over TV show banners seems unneccessary. All banners show TV Show's name or logo. Now they only hide part of those miniature works of art.

That remote controller is cool. Could it maybe have a feature (like in Maraschino) that captures keyboard and sends keypresses directly to XBMC? It could probably be used to fill in dialogs, searches and other stuff. I'm not sure if that works like that though..
Thanks Paavor.

1. This is my fault. Win 8 apps are not allowed to use more than 180 Mb in memory and since the images uses quite alot memory management has to be done manually and quite brutally. In this case I've made it a bit to brutal though..

2. Strange, I don't even have a fourth of that collection size so it's hard for me to test but the only thing I can think about is that the response times out. I'll try increase the request timeout.

3. Since touch interface doesn't support mouseover that is not possible. I'll move the text to the right of the acrmtor instead if that sounds ok.

4. I will but this text behind the image instead. in that case if, if a series is missing coverart the text will be visible.

5. Will try to add that. Smile
Hello,

I like to see a new Win 8 app for XBMC.

I created a complete auto generated XBMC RPC .Net Client. Maybe this is interesting for you and helps to speed up your development.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141604

Regards
Steve
hi
i am experiencing something similar to what paavor experienced earlier with 12.0, only i'm using 11.0
after typing in login and all that, the program won't open it just starts and then shuts down

tried re-installing the app, but that didn't help

also if i change the login on the server i get a screen like the ones you show in your screenshots, only it says "connection failed" at the top of the screen and there isn't any content

ps. i also noticed that you haven't made any means of changing the login...
(2012-10-14, 12:54)Neroes Wrote: hi
i am experiencing something similar to what paavor experienced earlier with 12.0, only i'm using 11.0
after typing in login and all that, the program won't open it just starts and then shuts down

tried re-installing the app, but that didn't help

also if i change the login on the server i get a screen like the ones you show in your screenshots, only it says "connection failed" at the top of the screen and there isn't any content

ps. i also noticed that you haven't made any means of changing the login...

Hi,

A new version has been submitted to Microsoft for testing.
It includes a few bug fixes even though I'm unsure it solves your issue..

The connection settings are changed by bringing out the charms menu (mouse in top right corner or if on a touch enabled unit a swipe from the right to left) and select "Settings" and then "Connections".

The new version should hopefully be available in a few days.
Except for bug fixes it includes better grouping of movies, plugin support for Frodo and Watched mark for episodes.
The new version has been released.

What's changed?

Bugfix for large movie collections
Bugfix for musicvideos in Frodo
Support for plugins in Frodo
Episodes - Watched marker added
Sort movies by Title, Unwatched, Year and Genre
just wanted to say huge thanks for this! It looks awesome/beautiful, and it will be the perfect supplement for my Surface when it comes on Friday. Looking forward to buying it then!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows 8] XBMC RT Remote - Local Playback and PlayTo1