Looking for quiet 120mm HTPC storage cooling
(2012-09-24, 19:28)joethefox Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 18:59)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 18:32)thrak76 Wrote: So, fan noise levels are subjective.
To prevent it from being subjective to human ear is to test the noise level at the actual seating area with a sound meter.....if it doesn't show up in the sound meter, it is dead silent......

With human ear, it will always different.......
maybe I know why: some sound frequencies are less tolerated by humans compared to others with the same dB level.

Exactly. Still subjective, no matter what an SPL meter tells you...
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-09-24, 19:59)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 19:28)joethefox Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 18:59)bluray Wrote: To prevent it from being subjective to human ear is to test the noise level at the actual seating area with a sound meter.....if it doesn't show up in the sound meter, it is dead silent......

With human ear, it will always different.......
maybe I know why: some sound frequencies are less tolerated by humans compared to others with the same dB level.

Exactly. Still subjective, no matter what an SPL meter tells you...

I'm getting 2 1600 RPM fans - I will report back.

Thanks all.
Anandtech has a nice article thats recent.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6177/choos...rsairs-h80

(2012-09-24, 15:54)bluray Wrote: If you want a quieter (15 dBA) and better air flow (74 CFM) fan, I'm suggesting this- SilenX EFX-12-15 Effizio Silent 120mm Case Fan

Are you comparing and choosing and recommending fans based strictly on the stated airflow and noise specifications? I think it is common knowledge that the stated specs are useless. If you want to really know the facts about the fans you are comparing, you have to rely on good professional reviews.
(2012-09-25, 17:07)beetlesnack Wrote:
(2012-09-24, 15:54)bluray Wrote: If you want a quieter (15 dBA) and better air flow (74 CFM) fan, I'm suggesting this- SilenX EFX-12-15 Effizio Silent 120mm Case Fan

Are you comparing and choosing and recommending fans based strictly on the stated airflow and noise specifications? I think it is common knowledge that the stated specs are useless. If you want to really know the facts about the fans you are comparing, you have to rely on good professional reviews.
Nobe....as I stated it in an earlier post, SilenX fan is the silncest I used in PC's......I used many other fans in cabinets too, and SilenX is my favorite....some cabinets I built, I installed 8 fans in it.....I used mostly CoolerGuys fan kits in cabinets, because it included the entire kits to mount in the cabinet as shown here- CG CabCool1202 Dual 120mm Fan 12V Cooler Kit Cabinet / Home Theaters w/Thermal Control....

If the product specs are useless, why are we wasting time reading it before we buy any product....Huh It's not perfect, but it is still providing good baseline info.....

Oh by the way, professional reviews tend to be bias too......and it is no better than real users reviews. I tested the fans I used with my ears, but I don't trust my ears either. I tested most fans I used with sound meter.....as far as I know, sound meter don't lie......and I used to have Extech airflow meter at work too....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-09-25, 17:57)bluray Wrote: If the product specs are useless, why are we wasting time reading it before we buy any product....Huh It's not perfect, but it is still providing good baseline info.....

Oh by the way, professional reviews tend to be bias too......and it is no better than real users reviews. I tested the fans I used with my ears, but I don't trust my ears either. I tested most fans I used with sound meter.....as far as I know, sound meter don't lie......and I used to have Extech airflow meter at work too....

True and so true. Specs and review should be taken with a bit of skepticism - no matter what the product is. Manufacturers always want to make their products look good, and reviews - no matter how objective the lab tests may be - are always biased. Finding the bias that agrees with your sensibilities is the key, or reading a nice cross-section of reviews regarding a product so that you can learn about other, perhaps conflicting, viewpoints.

Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-09-25, 18:07)thrak76 Wrote:
(2012-09-25, 17:57)bluray Wrote: If the product specs are useless, why are we wasting time reading it before we buy any product....Huh It's not perfect, but it is still providing good baseline info.....

True and so true. Specs and review should be taken with a bit of skepticism - no matter what the product is. Manufacturers always want to make their products look good, and reviews - no matter how objective the lab tests may be - are always biased. Finding the bias that agrees with your sensibilities is the key, or reading a nice cross-section of reviews regarding a product so that you can learn about other, perhaps conflicting, viewpoints.
+1......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Reviews, articles and forum posts from actual user are all very helpful -- but at the end of the day you still have to take a leap of faith and try it for yourself. Only you are the best reviewer for the stuff you use.

Personally, of the three I trust forum posts from actual users the most. YMMV, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for quiet 120mm HTPC storage cooling0