Acer AspireRevo AR1600 Memory and Performance
Hi all. I previously had XBMC running on a high-end PC, but got tired of it being loud and clunky, so I put XBMCbuntu on an Acer AspireRevo AR1600-U910H I had lying around. It's currently hooked up to a plasma display via HDMI.

I've got everything up and running, but I've noticed that if I set the resolution to 1080, XBMC will freeze whenever I try to play an HD video. With the resolution set to 720 everything runs fine though.

Has anyone had any experience with this machine being able to run at 1080 without issues? I've seen one can upgrade the memory by a gig or two, so my main question is: would that hardware upgrade more likely alleviate my problem, or would I be better served to explore possible software and setups issues before going for hardware upgrades.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
I am running an OpenELEC build on my Acer Revo 1600 and it runs at 1920x1080 resolution with no problem.

What version of XBMC are you running, and where did you obtain it?
The ram upgrade will help for sure. I did that when I bought my Revo 1600. Just make sure you allocate as much ram to the GPU in the bios.

Both of mine run at 180p resolution without an issue (I also openelec on mine). What OS are you using on yours? I also recommend going into the BIOS and setting the GPU to use 512MB.
Thanks all. I'll try adding some memory and seeing how that goes.

To the poster who asked, I'm just running XBMC Live (Eden) which I got from here at XBMC.org. Are you of the opinion installing openelec instead of ubuntu might help my problem as well?
(2012-09-24, 17:24)JonnyD Wrote: Thanks all. I'll try adding some memory and seeing how that goes.

To the poster who asked, I'm just running XBMC Live (Eden) which I got from here at XBMC.org. Are you of the opinion installing openelec instead of ubuntu might help my problem as well?

Don't think so, I've run xbmc live, xbmcbuntu, and openelec on mine and never had an issue displaying at 1080p or playing 1080p content. But you could very easily give openelec a try if you've got a couple spare usb flash drives or sd cards laying around. Just install openelec to one of them and boot off the flash, that way you keep your current install intact.
(2012-09-24, 17:24)JonnyD Wrote: Thanks all. I'll try adding some memory and seeing how that goes.

Nah, I was just curious. I've always been able to run 1080p no matter what build. Well, except when I had a 720p Panasonic Plasma.

Though I do recall adding another stick of RAM right after I purchased the Revo years ago.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer AspireRevo AR1600 Memory and Performance0