XBMCbuntu - New drive, problems with read/write access
Hi, as the subject says, I'm having problems after adding a new drive.

I've used XBMC Live the last two years, on a 500gb disk. I recently added another 500gig, and decided to upgrade to XBMCbuntu 11.0.

The installation and mounting of the new disk went fine, as well as the configuration of XBMCbuntu back to the config of the old system.

The problem is, I cannot transfer files from the old disk to the new one, neither in XBMC, or in XBMCbuntu, or via SSH on filezilla, both with and without root-access.
However, I am able to transfer files from my windows machine via ssh, which puzzles me. What have I forgotten to do, or what am I doing wrong?

I'm a newbie on Linux, and have to use guides for mostly everything.

I've read several threads, and tried things like
chmod - R 777 <mountpoint>
something else with chmod and my user Tongue
editing fstab and adding a new line like this: /dev/sdb1 <mountpoint> ext4 default 0 2

I've also moved the mountpoint and tried three different places, including /media and /home/disk2, all with the same result.

Bottom line, I cant find more relevant guides, so I ask; does anyone know what I must do? Smile
If its a permissions issue try this:

a) mount new disk at something like '/mnt/newdisk'

b) you might need to create the mount point first: 'sudo mkdir /mnt/newdisk'

c) mount the disk to /mnt/newdisk

d) once mounted run 'sudo chown -Rv user:user /mnt/newdisk'

e) try 'touch /mnt/newdisk/somefile.txt'

If you don't get any errors on point e) then permissions isn't the problem.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Thanks! that actually made me realize what was wrong. I did the same to the mount of the old disk, and voila, I'm able to transfer files between disks. Big Grin

Although that worked, I'm still not able to do transfer between disks remotely through ssh/Filezilla.
I get this error.
"mv /home/erlend/downloads/subtitles/<filename> /home/erlend/disk2/<filename>: failure"

Tried both as root and the ordinary user. Could it be that it's not possible to transfer between mounts/disks through Filezilla?
If you are ssh'ing into a PC and '/home/erlend/downloads/subtitles/<filename> /home/erlend/disk2/<filename>' is on same box why not just run that command through the terminal?

Also, if you need to bulk copy a directory,etc between disks look into rsync while logged in via ssh too.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
The reason I didn't do it through the terminal is that I want to have the option to be able to do all transfering of files from the pc, as I usually don't have a keyboard or mouse connected to the box/htpc with xbmc.

Wont be a problem, though, as your help was enough for me to do the changes I wanted, thanks again Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu - New drive, problems with read/write access0