No Sound via HDMI
Hi, I am setting up a fresh install of XBMCbuntu 11. At first no sound was running through the HDMI port (not even when watching a video in Chromium on YouTube). I created a .asoundrc and set the "hdmi:HDMI" device as the default. Now I get sound from Chrome. However, I get no sound in XBMC even after fiddling with the audio settings.

Here is the output from aplay -l:

Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Here is the output of aplay -L (only for the HDMI "card"):

Code:
hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
    HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
    HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
    HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
    HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=HDMI,DEV=3
    HDA ATI HDMI, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions

Here is my .asoundrc:

Code:
pcm.!default hdmi:HDMI

In XBMC I have the output set to HDMI and I have tried setting the Audio Output and Passthrough to things such as:
  • hdmi:HDMI
  • alsa:hdmi:HDMI
  • hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0
  • alsa:hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV-0
  • Selecting the one that sounds right, ATI HDMI, or similar.

What else should I try?

Thanks!
Fixed it! I set both Audio Output Device and Audio Passthru Device to:

Code:
alsa:plughw:1,3
Did you still require a .asoundrc file in the Home folder when you did this? Confirm you set alsa:plughw:1,3 in "Custom" for each? I have a similar setup with a Radeon 6770 card and have been struggling with this for months.
anyone reading this that is having problems getting sound over hdmi working, I highly recommend the recent Frodo builds of XBMC, I had big problems with a NVIDIA G210 (no navigation sounds, popping etc) and going to Frodo fixed it straight away
I'm going to give Frodo a whirl right now.
I didn't get HDMI audio to work either without specifying the device as plughw. Upgrading to Frodo fixed it.
aplay -l gives me no sound card found. Running openelec 2.0 on a custom htpc with ivy bridge i5k on an asrock mobo. Was working fine with xbmc in Windows 7. Over hdmi. I do have sound, bit it feels ghetto using an optical cable straight into the surround sound. Any suggestions?
Hi guys, kind of a noob when it comes to this, but i set up my acer revo a couple of years ago with Ubuntu 9.10XBMCLive tty2.

All worked fine for a couple of years (dual boot into xbmc or win7).

I decided to upgrade last night to - XBMCFreak - XBMCbuntu 12.04 with pre-Frodo (end October release)

All seemed to work fine, but I can't get any sound working via hdmi (using TV speakers).
Tried all variations of settings in the menu, but was wondering if I had to run anything via the console ??

Been Googling for hours but I'm lost now - any advice ?

Thanks

Chris
Sorted it.

In the console, typed in Alsamixer & unmuted the S/PDIF 1 option by highlighting & pressing "M"

Hope this helps somebody Smile
(2012-11-10, 11:44)chrisuk Wrote: Sorted it.

In the console, typed in Alsamixer & unmuted the S/PDIF 1 option by highlighting & pressing "M"

Hope this helps somebody Smile

Thanx alot for that info... that helped out on my Acer R3610 when I switched to HDMI output. Kinda odd that we had to unmute the S/SDIF 1 via alsamixer. Everything is working properly now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Sound via HDMI0