Win Wireless Repeater?
Looking for someone with experience in using repeaters - would really appreciate some advice. I wanted to boost the wifi signal in the house but there's no good software for it. I was considering something like this but I don't know anyone who's used a repeater before are they really any good?

Thanks
I actually just went through this and instead of using a repeater I just added a second wireless router. It was easy - Google "add second router to extend wireless network" and you'll see all the details. Basically all you need to do is disable the routing functionality on one of the routers, assign the non-routing router a static IP address, and set them to use different wireless channels to minimize interference. I think I have one set on channel 1 and the other on channel 6. Basically the devices that connect to your wireless network will select the router with the strongest signal.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
i bought a rather cheap repeater 2 months ago (30 euros).
i didnt regret it, it was easy to configure and does his job without issues.
my repeater needs 5 watts, so its less then a normal router usually needs, so i can recommend a repeater.
just do a bit of researching for a good one.
Interesting discussion. I have one question though: It's great that when you join the network your device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc) will join at the strongest signal but what happens when you move around? I use wifi calling on my cellphone and I still have calls drop as I walk around the house. I can end up standing right beside a repeater but if I started the call attached to my router nothing I do can get devices to seemlessly move to the stronger signal. So the question is whether this is a limitation in wifi or operator error on my part.

Any help from you guys would be appreciated.
^^I believe what you are referring to is called wi-fi roaming aggressiveness and it is dependent on the unique characteristics of the wi-fi adapter for the device you are using. So the answer to your question is it is device dependent. My guess is that most mobile devices do not allow you to change the sensitivity of the wi-fi roaming aggressiveness but I am not certain. It is also possible that the software application that you are using is preventing your wi-fi adapter from changing access points during a call. My gut feeling is that you are screwed.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
(2012-09-25, 23:01)wsume99 Wrote: ^^I believe what you are referring to is called wi-fi roaming aggressiveness and it is dependent on the unique characteristics of the wi-fi adapter for the device you are using. So the answer to your question is it is device dependent. My guess is that most mobile devices do not allow you to change the sensitivity of the wi-fi roaming aggressiveness but I am not certain. It is also possible that the software application that you are using is preventing your wi-fi adapter from changing access points during a call. My gut feeling is that you are screwed.

That is perhaps the least satisfying screwing I've ever had!

I guess the "app" in question is Android so I'll have to do some googling on roaming agressiveness.

Thanks.
I have two wifi routers in my house. The second one has routing disabled, so it is really just a wifi antenna with a built-in 4 port switch. You have to make sure the IP address of the second antenna is not in the same range of IP addresses assigned by the actual router. Google it to find detailed instructions. As long as you give each antenna the exact same SSID and password, your wifi devices should be able to stay connected seamlessly as you walk around the house.

Good luck!!!
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2012-09-26, 03:18)maddog808 Wrote: I have two wifi routers in my house. The second one has routing disabled, so it is really just a wifi antenna with a built-in 4 port switch. You have to make sure the IP address of the second antenna is not in the same range of IP addresses assigned by the actual router. Google it to find detailed instructions. As long as you give each antenna the exact same SSID and password, your wifi devices should be able to stay connected seamlessly as you walk around the house.

Good luck!!!

Really? wow, that would be great. I'm going to look into this right away.
(2012-09-26, 03:18)maddog808 Wrote: I have two wifi routers in my house. The second one has routing disabled, so it is really just a wifi antenna with a built-in 4 port switch. You have to make sure the IP address of the second antenna is not in the same range of IP addresses assigned by the actual router. Google it to find detailed instructions. As long as you give each antenna the exact same SSID and password, your wifi devices should be able to stay connected seamlessly as you walk around the house.

Good luck!!!

You should be putting any extra Access Points (routers) in bridge mode. Only the main router should be assigning IP addresses. Otherwise it won't have the full routing table and there will some problems if you try to access devices that aren't connect through the same access point. Also, this method requires that your secondary access point is connected to the primary via ethernet. If you want to do it completely wireless then you will be looking at repeaters. If you have your own router I would suggest sticking with the same brand. Less chance of compatibility issues.
(2012-09-26, 20:19)virgahyatt Wrote:

Good luck!!!

You should be putting any extra Access Points (routers) in bridge mode. Only the main router should be assigning IP addresses. Otherwise it won't have the full routing table and there will some problems if you try to access devices that aren't connect through the same access point. Also, this method requires that your secondary access point is connected to the primary via ethernet. If you want to do it completely wireless then you will be looking at repeaters. If you have your own router I would suggest sticking with the same brand. Less chance of compatibility issues.

Right. We are talking about the same thing here. I followed the step by step instructions from here, and it has been working for a few years now with no problems.
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wireless Repeater?0