Power requirement for Radeon HD6450 or similar card?
Hi everyone,

I currently have a HTPC with a 280W PSU and was thinking of buying a Radeon HD6450 or something similar for HD audio. But looking at a couple of different brands, and they state that a minimum 400W PSU is required? Is this really the case? Just wondering what other people have found.

Or is there other options out there that do DXVA2 and HD audio that use a lot less power?

Cheers,
Zolt
no way.

a HD6450 gfx card consumes about 10W in idle mode and max. 20W under heavy load, so even a 150W PSU would fit your needs ;o)
Ah cool, that's what I was hoping.

Does anyone have one of these cards and know the height when using a low profile bracket? Based on the specs listed here, it says the height is 94mm. But I'm not sure if that is when you have the full height bracket on the card?
What case are you trying to fit it in?
It's a Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop case. Not a true HTPC case, but it hides away in a cabinet so isn't seen anyway. If I measure from motherboard to top of case there is about 9.5cm of space. So if that is the height of the card to the top of the heatsink, it might be cutting it a bit close.
well you will be cutting it very close but should work - lp cards are usually never higher than the lp bracket.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Power requirement for Radeon HD6450 or similar card?0