Fastest streaming XBMC hardware?
Question 
Hello everyone,

I am currently running XBMC on an Apple TV 2 which seems to do the job well, however, when I'm streaming from add ons in HD 720p or 1080p everything streams really slow and I get a lot of stuttering. I don't believe it is my internet connection as it is extremely fast on every other device I have.

What I'm looking for is:

- A small box that won't take up too much room under the TV
- Strong in-built Wi-Fi to handle 720p and 1080p
- Cost is not too much of an issue if it works flawlessly
- Handles XBMC with no problems at all

Does anyone have any opinions they could pass on to me?
Thank you
I would recommend the ATV520 Dual Core from Geniatech . Works very good compared to most of the other Android boxes available. I don't think you are going to find an android box that will stream 720p and 1080p via Wi-Fi reliably. You might want to consider buying or building a HTPC if Wi-Fi is a necessity and price is not an option.
Celeron NUC. See my sig.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Forget wireless run a cable.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
wireless wont cut it with 1080p , 720 should play fine though but like nickr above says go for a wired network
Intel nuc ... Forget android for now ..

Even better wait for the new haswell nucs...
Thanks for all the replies!

Looks like NUC is the best device to go with. Unfortunately I won't be able to use Ethernet as my router is two rooms away so I think I'll be content with the stronger wi-fi anyway.

What is a little bit overwhelming is which model would be more suited. I'm looking at the cheaper models that cost around £150 but I've also been reading that you also need to buy a wifi card, storage and memory for the device as it isn't already in-built. Is this correct? Sorry for the noobish question.

Could anyone recommend me a model.

Thanks very much for the help!
You just been told don't do wifi! Buy some homeplugs!

Read the NUC thread. All 130 pages of it. Then decide for yourself.

You want to do full frame packed 3D @ 1080p? Go i3.

If you only want 2D 1080p and SBS 3D 1080p go Celeron.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

imo your best bet would be to build a new HTPC based on the new I3 when released, like jammyB says go i3 for 3d@ 1080p even if u don't have 3d now at least u future proofing your self abit.

as for wifi there isn't any stronger wifi, the best wifi now cant handle 1080p, wired is best option and if u cant do that then homeplugs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fastest streaming XBMC hardware?1