• 17(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
@fritsch

Done Wink

How can anyone calculate those modelines? using cvt 1920 1080 23.97172 outputs something different!

Thank you for all the help, it showed me 2 things, the 1st to turn deinterlace to auto/off (dropped frames judder/audio sync issues !!gone!! It's always the simple things eh!), to stop being a PEBCAK user.

The 2nd thing is inherent to the 1st, but foremost that without people like you fritsch, who have this much attention to detail, things would never work right in XBMC for .

thank you thank you thank you. +1 Wink

uNi

Now to get usb to behave!

(2012-10-22, 22:37)eluSive_NZ Wrote: Would it also be possible to include an option to install NFS support?

I could only get this working by installing libnfs-dev

Thanks

you don't need the dev package, libnfs1 should be enough.
Hi

I have a prob, i am just running your xbmc script and it errors out saying I have an advanced gfx card, but its a radeon 5xxx card?

Any ideas please?

thanks
@Bram77
I also just ran your script again on my main box that was working before. It's the GA-E350N-USB3 ATI fusion itx board. Now I get the "Installation aborted" due to it seeing my video card as an Advanced videocard? Not sure what you have done to change the script. But it was working great for this box before but now it doesn't. Hope this gets sorted out in this bunch of fixes you're going to put in. Thanks.
Man, I can't wait to install this! This has to be the best XBMC running OS out there. Bram, will you give us a heads-up once you've finished your to-do list? Angel
@Bram77

usbautomount for devices left connected, is now fully resolved, please add to script if you wish!

Solution as I posted here on this thread.

For reference sake I have added all fixes e.g. ION internal CIR fixes, 24p/23p playback with 30x.x Nvidia drivers fixes, to my signature which you can add to script at your leisure and consideration.

I have also updated your script with typo and other small changes and its available here

Please revise adding xbmc to the groups required not just audio/video and not using $USER variable.

suggestion: The script should add playback 23.976p and 24p tweaks to all drivers versions

let me know if there's anything else I can do?

Some feedback would be nice! Blush

uNi
Great work you did there!
I'm just experiencing a small problem. I cant control XBMC via an iPhone app. The app just doesnt find the host, even though i changed all the necessary settings in XBMC. Am i doing something wrong?

greets!
I've added 'Advanced' to be detected as an ATI videocard. It's in version 2.5 now. I'm sorry I haven't been very responsive the last week or so. I'm extremely busy with development that pays my bills Smile
I promise I'll be coding on the script again this weekend!
(2012-10-24, 13:50)merrymarian Wrote:
Great work you did there!
I'm just experiencing a small problem. I cant control XBMC via an iPhone app. The app just doesnt find the host, even though i changed all the necessary settings in XBMC. Am i doing something wrong?

greets!

If your internet connection is working on your HTPC you should be able to connect. Are you sure you're on the same wifi network? I do not have an iPhone so I can't help you test to figure out what your problem is.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Information 
@Bram77

Found a few of lm_sensors "tricks" this is obviously ION1 orientated, more specifically the 330HT but seem to work with 270 (like acer etc)

For the ION1 in particular we dont want to read cpu coretemp-isa-0000 values (for advancedsettings.xml) because these values are wrong! 28C (we wish)
So we want instead to query the nct6775-isa-0290 temperatures, the more accurate "100% to bios readings" is:

Code:
cputempcommand>echo "$(sensors -u | tail -n64 | grep temp1_input | awk '{print $2 }' |awk '{printf("%d\n",$1 + 0.5);}') C"</cputempcommand>

That being so, if we ever issue "sensors" command the output is showing "ALARM" for the ION1 (in1 in4 in5 there is no in6 or fan 3 in ION1, not that we can do anything with fans just yet) this is a either to calculate values or tell sensors3.conf to ignore the ALARM values, personally, I prefer to have things along normal(ish),

Here your spolied for choices, you can do nothing (leave the sensor3.conf untouched, use the actual present values use sensor3, up to you!

For the sensors3.conf which "calculates" all present values here
For the sensors3.conf which ignores all "ALARM" except SYSTIN (we give this some values for min/max) and Not present FAN3 here

To shut up, the incessant questions at sensors-detect (this is untested either way, because no idea how to implement in script) found via Automatic lm_sensors deployment

archwiki website Wrote:If you wish to deploy lm-sensors on multiple different Linux machines issue is that sensors-detect ask you quite a few questions. There are few tricks that you can use to automate replies.

First one is if you wish to accept defaults which sensors-detect suggest you need just to press [ENTER] all the time. To automate this use this one liner:

Code:
# yes "" | sensors-detect

If you wish to override defaults and answer YES to all questions then use this oneliner:

Code:
# yes | sensors-detect

I always tried to get the fan controllers working but never found a way I could figure out, quietfan looks promising but its above my paygrade.

however if you do this: found via here

Code:
perl -le 'sysopen($raw_port,"/dev/port",O_RDWR); foreach my $p (0x4932,0x4934,0x4936) {
sysseek $raw_port,$p,0;sysread $raw_port,$res,2; printf("0x%x: %s\n",$p,unpack("S",$res)*60); }'

You can actually get the speed values for minimum/medium/high, so you can in theory control these from terminal or in some sort of control program like quietfan, but like I said above my paygrade! I could never get a reply from the guy there.

cheers Wink

When running your script I got:
Quote:Installation aborted...
Only NVIDIA, ATI/AMD or INTEL videocards are supported. Please install a compatible videocard and run the script again.

You have a Intel videocard.

My Motherboard is an ASRock B75-PRO3-M B75 4xDDR3 3xSATA3 PCIex16 GBL 4xUSB3.0 HDMI D-Sub DVI-D mATX which has an integrated intel GPU.

The xbmc_installation.log file says:
Quote:2012-10-25 16:15 - INFO :: Locale environment bug fixed
2012-10-25 16:15 - INFO :: Allowed XBMC to prioritize threads
2012-10-25 16:15 - INFO :: XBMC user added to required groups
2012-10-25 16:15 - INFO :: Adding Wsnipex xbmc-xvba PPA...
2012-10-25 16:15 - INFO :: ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba repository successfully added
2012-10-25 16:15 - INFO :: Updating Ubuntu with latest packages (may take a while)...
2012-10-25 16:15 - INFO :: Ubuntu installation updated
2012-10-25 16:15 - INFO :: Installing Intel video drivers (may take a while)...
2012-10-25 16:15 - INFO :: Cleaning up...

EDIT: Got the install working correctly by changing line 448 to
Code:
elif [[ $GFX_CARD == Intel ]]; then
but I guess to do it right you should change
Code:
GFX_CARD=$(lspci |grep VGA |awk -F: {' print $3 '} |awk {'print $1'})
to always return an uppercase string.[/code]
Line 631:
Code:
sudo apt-get install plymouth-label v86d > /dev/null
should be:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y plymouth-label v86d > /dev/null

Currently the install sits at this point forever, waiting for an invisible Y to be pressed.
and (hopefully) lastly when it got to the 'do you want to reboot' stage, before I pressed anything the SSH window turned to this:

This an issue that can be fixed?
(2012-10-25, 08:47)Flynsarmy Wrote: Line 631:
Code:
should be:
Code:

Its not just that line, all the apt-get lines should have it, so no one has to tap enter to continue while script just hangs there!

Currently the install sits at this point forever, waiting for an invisible Y to be pressed.

(2012-10-25, 08:57)Flynsarmy Wrote: and (hopefully) lastly when it got to the 'do you want to reboot' stage, before I pressed anything the SSH window turned to this:

This an issue that can be fixed?

And I thought it was just me!

I had this too!! reported a few posts back.

Under which user did you run the script?

uNi

(2012-10-25, 09:02)uNiversal Wrote: Under which user did you run the script?

It was running under the standard xbmc user.

I also got a black screen on boot until I removed nomodeset from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line at the bottom of /etc/default/grub like so:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=uvesafb:mode_option=1920x1080-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"
(2012-10-25, 08:47)Flynsarmy Wrote: Line 631:
Code:
should be:
Code:

This one has been fixed. I'm not yet sure what's causing the errors when rebooting. It's an error that's caused if a directory is being addressed that doesn't exist anymore. I'll look into it.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11