• 75(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
(2013-06-04, 12:03)Bram77 Wrote: I don't use AMD video cards, so I can't really help. But I'm guessing you mean 'lag' instread of 'lack'?

Yes, I meant lag, don't know how I wrote that!

Many thanks!!

As soon as I'll make some more tests I'll tell

Regards
I'm unable to make XBMC work with AMD E-450 or AMD Trinity.

I've been working on Kubuntu 12.10 and latest Fglrx from AMD, 13.6:
*If I install XBMC 12.2 system doesn't crash but I've a huge lag in the mouse pointer and videos got like hanged if I try to navigate throught menus when playing.
*If I install XBMC 13.0 Alpha lag dissapears but I get ramdom crashes of XBMC and if I try to move a film forward it algo crashes.

I've try kubuntu 13.04 since latest AMD drivers are supposed to work on it, but when trying to install them they returm an error and I'm unable to install them

Tomorrow I'll give further information...

Please ¿Any Idea? do I have to surrender?
First of all I am testing this setup out in a VM to figure everything out before I go make it permanent and replace my xubuntu install on my HTPC.. so I have installed ubuntu mini x64. Upgraded to kernel 3.9.4 and firmware 1.109. Ran your script and everything went fine and it rebooted into xbmc.. Installed mupen64plus and got it all setup and running except XBMC retains control of the keyboard and does not release it to the emulator. The rom is running but when I press keys I can hear the xbmc menu sounds in the background and nothing happens on the emu. I will setup xboxdrv and use my 360 controllers for xbmc and emulators but I assume it is going to be the same issue. I figure someone has had this issue and fixed it already so some insight would be awesome!

Im going to keep digging in the mean time and if I figure it out I will edit this post with the solution...

EDIT: Fixed! I was digging through the Rom Collection Browser post on here and came across a post by forum member Aubrien that rang a bell and I thought DUH! Anyways what I did was create a script to 'pause' xbmc.bin.. launch the emu and after 'unpause' xbmc.bin

Code:
#!/bin/bash

killall -STOP xbmc.bin
/usr/local/bin/mupen64plus "$1"
killall -CONT xbmc.bin

It works like a champ!

EDIT AGAIN: so with the way that was setup it wouldn't pass per rom %GAMECMD%'s propperly so what I ended up having to do to make it work for mupen64plus with all roms whether it had a a per game cmd or not was to set it up like below.. and then in RCB swap what you would think it should be from (%GAMECMD% "%ROM%") to ("%ROM" %GAMECMD%) and then switch the inputs in the script. I tried a bunch of different things and this was the only way I could easily get it to work right

Code:
#!/bin/bash

killall -STOP xbmc.bin
/usr/local/bin/mupen64plus $2 "$1"
killall -CONT xbmc.bin

Not only does pausing XBMC during emu time keep input from going to XBMC, it also fixed bugs that would cause RCB to freak out when exiting an emu... sometimes it would just crash and wouldn't open back up until XBMC was restarted which was annoying.. since this script I have started and stopped emu's 100 times prob and not a single RCB crash! So with all that fixed I now have everything with this setup working like a champ in a VM so after work today it will be time to make this permanent on my actual HTPC! This setup is so much cleaner than XBMCbuntu! Thanks to the author(s)!
Well now I am running into another problem I am not sure what is causing it... when running emulators after about 10ish minutes the screen turns off until I press a button. It not the console "screensaver" I have already tried adding consoleblank=0 to grub.. and "post-start exec setterm -blank 0 -powersave off" to all the /etc/init/tty* files.. so what the hell am I missing here?

EDIT: Fixed! soooo... feeling like a total noob right now.... with this setup a xorg.conf file is not created. So I am assuming that X just goes with whatever its internal defaults are... in my case (Nvidia) I ran sudo nvidia-xconfig to generate /etc/X11/xorg.conf then removed the DPMS option from the "Monitors" section as well as added the following section to keep it from doing anything else power management related. Reboot and voila... I am not new to Ubuntu or Linux in general.. but this is my first minimalistic install and I tell ya what. It's the small things like this that you take for granted when you have a desktop environment.

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "blank time" "0"
        Option "standby time" "0"
        Option "suspend time" "0"
        Option "off time" "0"
        Option "dpms" "false"
EndSection
(2013-05-29, 18:36)n1md4 Wrote: Another question, is there a way to start openbox on boot; I know it's against the minimal idea, but I use the ALA a lot and launching programs often breaks things without a DE. Just wondering were I'd put that openbox & line? Smile

This has been on the slow-burner for some time now. Had another look this evening, and started a thread on it http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=167027 (sorry for the spam).

Related to this thread, what is calling X and why does putting exec openbox in .xinitrc not work?
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
I updated my XBMC installation, as when I first installed and setup my HTPC I followed this posting.

Update went smooth, and I searched no how to do it correctly, even changed the PPA to the official one from Team XBMC

Now my version says 13.0 Alpha 3 "gotham" and not 12.2 like it was suppose too.

Everywhere I read said to use ppa team-xbmc/ppa, so that is the repository I used when doing so.

Any ideas?
Everything in the PPA shows '12.2'. https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ppa

I suggest a do-over.

Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2013-06-14, 02:35)thethirdnut Wrote: Everything in the PPA shows '12.2'. https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ppa

I suggest a do-over.

Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Excellent! I will try this next. Also, once booted to XBMC, I'm using Ctrl + Alt +F5 to access the terminal to run commands and such. It seems like though after about 15 - 20 seconds, it flashes a screen at me and goes to all black.
Then I need to use Ctrl + Alt + F1 to go back to XBMC main interface, then redo the Ctrl + Alt + F5 to get back to the terminal. I have to consistently do this to run commands or update items.

I'm assuming this isn't normal, Is there any easier way to access terminal on this setup, and have it stay on it indefinitely until I switch it back myself.

I've followed and installed everything as the instructions say in Post 1, if that helps.
@DonnyP

SSH is best way to do remote management.

Your console / terminals are typically 1-6 with X running on tty7.

If GUI running use CTL+ALT+F1 to get to first console terminal and then ALT+F7 to get back to GUI typically. Sounds like your GUI and such may be running on different tty's, but that isn't a big deal.

If you used the upstart method to autostart XBMC 'sudo service xbmc stop' should stop it from relaunching...run 'sudo service xbmc start' or 'sudo init 6' to reboot.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2013-06-14, 05:02)thethirdnut Wrote: @DonnyP

SSH is best way to do remote management.

Your console / terminals are typically 1-6 with X running on tty7.

If GUI running use CTL+ALT+F1 to get to first console terminal and then ALT+F7 to get back to GUI typically. Sounds like your GUI and such may be running on different tty's, but that isn't a big deal.

If you used the upstart method to autostart XBMC 'sudo service xbmc stop' should stop it from relaunching...run 'sudo service xbmc start' or 'sudo init 6' to reboot.

Grrr! I did as you said third nut and did a complete do-over per your instructions. I wasn't able to purge the unstable PPA as I never added its repository to my system. I've been using the offical team-xbmc/ppa repository.

Even after doing your complete re-do and entering all commands successfully, my system still says version 13.0

Under system info, it tells me I'm on XBMC 13 Alpha 3 "Gotham"

Any ideas? The PPA even shows 12.2, is it labeled wrong? Wrong PPA linked to source?
apt-cache policy xbmc | pastebinit
Code:
Welcome to Ubuntu 12.10 (GNU/Linux 3.5.0-22-generic i686)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
New release '13.04' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

Last login: Mon Jun 17 19:58:21 2013
xbmc@XBMC:~$ apt-cache policy xbmc
xbmc:
  Installed: 2:13.0~git20130405.0500-41061a8-0quantal
  Candidate: 2:13.0~git20130405.0500-41061a8-0quantal
  Version table:
*** 2:13.0~git20130405.0500-41061a8-0quantal 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/wsnipex/xbmc-xvba/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2:12.2~git20130502.1706-frodo-0quantal 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ quantal/main i386 Packages
     2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1ubuntu2 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/universe i386 Packages
xbmc@XBMC:~$

Thats my results from your command. I'm not sure why it shows your PPA and version 13.0. I did a purge and removed/reinstalled PPA's and XBMC. I have always used the team-xbmc/ppa no matter what.
@DonnyP
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update
I have an old laptop Fujistsu Siemens Amilo L1310G where I had a lubuntu 13.10 with xbmc installed. It was working reasonable but I read that thread and decided to install mini based. The installation process have gone well and i can see the xbmc splash when it boot but I can't run xbmc as I get an error:

Error: unable to open display
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver.

I have checked the driver and it is exactly the same as it was under lubuntu.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RC410M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200M]

Is there any way to fix it?
(2013-06-18, 10:29)wsnipex Wrote: @DonnyP
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update

Excellent! I was thinking along the lines of that with some research I did to clear old PPA's and update.I didn't want to go ahead with it without clarification. Still new to this linux. Thanks Snipe!

I will try this when I get some free time, it will more than likely correct the situation though
  • 75(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11