• 78(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
HI Bram77,

I have rerun the script from https://github.com/Bram77/xbmc-ubuntu-mi...all_2_6.sh and it finishes with an error when about the reboot.

While on the script I have selected the following options

method used to start XBMC - init.d
screen resolution - 1366 x 768

enable dirty region rendering
enable temperature monitoring
install add-on repositories

I didn't install additional packages

then when it time to reboot a error show up across the screen
Problem remaining the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin.inOVF2 to /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - rename no such file or directory
You may want yo run apt-get update to correct these problem

then a press enter

the screen go back to the terminal and saying

The system is going down for maintenance NOW!!
* disabling power management....
Skip stopping firewall: ufw (not enable) [ok]

Stopping XBMC [ok]
* Asking all remaining process to terminate.... [fail]
* Killing all remaining process....
* Will now switch to single-uer mode
root@xbmc:~#

then the enter init 6 to reboot

while to rebooting I saw the xbmc splash screen then block screen and nothing happen.

I will try to restore my previous system back up to able to see the new movies that I had downloaded from my other PC, I will try another shot later

cheers
There was a error in the link - sorry

Code:
wget https://github.com/uNiversaI/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.04/prepinstall_2_6_2.sh
Hi is it possible to use on this distro something like this http://binerry.de/post/28263824530/raspb...hdog-timer
I would like to implement some kind of watcdog that will restart xbmc if it hangs. It does not happens often but sometimes it does and would like to automate this.
Hey,

I just did a fresh installation and encountered two problems.

1. I have no audio, though I see my onboard chip in xbmc.
I skipped the graphical audio config during installation accidently.
Any way to run it again manually? I use Asrock H77 onboard audio.
2. Serious problem: whole xbmc hangs every 1-2 seconds for about a second. Even the mouse.
When watching a movie the GUI and everything else does not hang!
I use vaapi with Intel Pentium G2020 Ivy Bridge.

I was struggling for days to get vaapi to work with Fedora and xbmc without tearing until I gave up and tried Ubunt 13.04 server with the script. Now Video works, but not the rest. I just have bad luck, I guessSad

EDIT: My xbmc log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5898516/
EDIT2: sound works. It was alsamixer I skipped. Too bad. It was just muted by default. Dont know why. But this freeze thing is going on my nerve, I cannot find any hint what is going on.
I googled a lot the last hour. I did not find anything close regarding my issue, this is very frustrating.
I just hangs every ~2s a little bit. Completely periodic. When watching a movie, everything OK. When movies is paused, everything is OK.
When I stop the movie, it hangs like before. Very strange behaviour.
UPDATE:

OK, following happened:

Somehow, the ppa`s from the automated installation script used xbmc 13 alpha5 which does not seem to work well on my machine (periodic lags). I removed the ppa, installed xbmc from default repository. Unfortunetly this was Version 12.0 RC3, BUT everything worked smooth!!!!

So I purged this as well and used the ppa from the other threads vaapi-vpp deinterlace testing. It installed Version 12.2 compiled sometime in June. Everything is working smooth now.

But, what ppa do I have to use if I just want standard Fro do 12.2 without any patches or hacks?
Thank for this great method installing XBMC on Ubuntu. It run ok on my Lenovo q190. However it installed Xbmc13alfa5. I would prefer to stay with 12.2. As far as i understand it could be installed from ppa:team-xbmc/ppa . But i need(?) to remove existing repository 13a5 is installed from. Could anyone, please tell me how to do this?

dcr33p
Quote:I removed the ppa
How?
assuming you installed it from wsnipex's repo:

Code:
sudo ppa-purge ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba

if you want to use wsnipex's frodo builds:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-frodo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
@dcr33p
Next time you have to run the script use:

Code:
wget https://github.com/uNiversaI/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.04/prepinstall_2_6_2.sh

With this script you can choose which XBMC version you like to install :-)

And as you have a sandybridge and use server 13.04 you should upgrade at least to kernel 3.9.x to get
DTS-HD and TrueHD running if you need it
Just installed on my intel525/ion2 system. Openelec works here and I have used your script on similar hardware past.

I am running stable version (2.6 from original post) on a fresh ubuntu 13.04 minimal install, however when running, I can't get HDMI audio.

I am sure it's answered somewhere in this thread, but I can't see how to search just a single thread for keywords, so if someone could give me a heads up? Going through 117 pages would be an incredible task.

Also I see that stable is running xbmc 13?

Previously I had a bunch of options for hdmi devices in sound settings, this time around I see HDMI/Optical/Analog only.

aplay -l

xbmc@xbmc:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Anyhow im pretty familiar with linux, but I am a server guy so sound stuff is foreign to me. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the script. Definitely saves a lot of time.
I've had a lot of trouble getting HDMI audio working on an ION2 system too, a while back. I eventually got it working. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure exactly what the steps were anymore. To my best recollection something needs to be changed in the pulse configuration so only three or four devices will be shown with aplay -l. There are some topics about this on the XBMC and OpenElec forums.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
Thanks for the reply. I did get it to work once, but on 12.04, so may try that this weekend. In the meantime, gonna run OpenElec.
I had the same issue with HDMI Audio over Nvidia,

if you're on 13.x which is default for the script, use the default skin (confluence) go to system options -> press LEFT (on keyboard or remote) and set it from standard to advanced, and you can select the nvidia hdmi as the out.

also make sure you alsamixer (f6) switch to nvidia and make sure its not MM (mute) make sure its OO
I've just installed 12.10 minimal on a amd a6-5400. Which script do you recommend? Which one is up to date? Thanks!
I need some help guys. Months ago I used this guide to do an Ubuntu 12.10 minimal installation and this is the one I am still using. XBMC runs perfectly smooth it's really a great guide.
I only have one problem. I have installed a few emulators and I don't have sound in any of them. Tried different launchers too but didn't make any difference.
Any suggestions?
  • 78(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11