• 80(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
Question 
I have tried to install the mini OS 13.04 from Post one on a clean SSD but I allways get an
error that it's not possibkle to install GRUB on /dev/sda...
I dont know what is wrong...

I'm very new to LINIX..
Board: B85M-ITX
CPU: i3 4330
GPU: Geforce GTX 750ti
(2013-10-10, 14:54)sveni_lee Wrote: I have tried to install the mini OS 13.04 from Post one on a clean SSD but I allways get an

I'm very new to LINIX..

This *might* be telling you it is trying to install GRUB / the bootloader on the USB used for install...can you pick another /dev/sdX device for installation?
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
I think you are right...
I've set the USBPort to position 1 un the BIOS Boot-table... I think I can remove the
USB Stick bevore I Install the GRUB...
@sveni_lee - happened to me once as well...see here to try and fix it.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/153082/ac...rub-to-usb
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2013-10-09, 00:00)hetch6 Wrote: as you can see sdc3 and sdb1 have both been mounted twice.......bizarre stuff!!
any ideas?

I've had another look around.. it's possible you've got a USB udev rule[0], which would explain the double mounting. If you can find such a rule, make the following edit:-

# make this
KERNEL!="sd[a-z][0-9]"

# into this
KERNEL!="sd[d-z][0-9]""

[0]https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=827660#p827660
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
@thethirdnut: thank you for your help. now every thing works fine...
(2013-10-10, 17:01)n1md4 Wrote:
(2013-10-09, 00:00)hetch6 Wrote: as you can see sdc3 and sdb1 have both been mounted twice.......bizarre stuff!!
any ideas?

I've had another look around.. it's possible you've got a USB udev rule[0], which would explain the double mounting. If you can find such a rule, make the following edit:-

# make this
KERNEL!="sd[a-z][0-9]"

# into this
KERNEL!="sd[d-z][0-9]""

[0]https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=827660#p827660

You Sir are a bloody genius!! I found the rule and managed to change it. Now it's looking good and i haven't found any double mounts since changing the rule.

Thanks for you help
(2013-10-10, 15:44)thethirdnut Wrote:
(2013-10-10, 14:54)sveni_lee Wrote: I have tried to install the mini OS 13.04 from Post one on a clean SSD but I allways get an

I'm very new to LINIX..

This *might* be telling you it is trying to install GRUB / the bootloader on the USB used for install...can you pick another /dev/sdX device for installation?

If you keep the (SSD) boot device as 1st boot device and use the BIOS boot menu to boot from your USB/CD you will not run into this error again. ( a very easy fix )
(2013-10-07, 00:12)haifischjunge Wrote: All of a sudden my xbmc became super slow, while browing mysql based listings and folders. but I dont think its server side since all other installs work fine. also nothing in the syslog or xbmc.log

even the menu bar (with tv shows, movies, videos, music etc) takes a minute to load after booting into xbmc.

any ideas?

I had time to reinstall ubuntu and xbmc this weekend and its still the same. if I use mysql as backend ist becomes unusable slow. If I use exactly the same config on 2 other devices (1 windows, 1 mac) it works as expected.
wow, it seems to be simple what fixed the problem: disable the reverse lookup in the mysql server itself. no idea why it only impacted the ubuntu 13.04 system. at least about 4 hours of reinstalling everything well spent Wink
I am getting a blinking cursor on a black screen, it never makes it to login. Any ideas before I start over?
(2013-10-14, 02:39)beschmid Wrote: I am getting a blinking cursor on a black screen, it never makes it to login. Any ideas before I start over?

At what stage of the boot process? Before or after installation completes? After POST completes? If after installation, did you experience any problem installing Grub?
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
Will it work with Ubuntu 13.10?
(2013-10-14, 02:39)beschmid Wrote: I am getting a blinking cursor on a black screen, it never makes it to login. Any ideas before I start over?

Wrong drivers or bad drivers usually do this exactly.
Decided to try redoing my XBMC box. My existing config is basically a crusty full desktop ubuntu install and set autologin with XBMC as a session. DEcided to try this script out. Now this is 13.10 which isn't mentioned but I assumed wouldn't be TOO different to matter.

Script seemingly goes fine but on reboot I am dumped at the text login screen. Checked the install log and the only listed error is 'ERROR :: xbmc could not be installed (error code: 1)'.

Any ideas? Do I just need to drop back to 13.04?

EDIT: Did a little bit of quick digging and looks like I MAY have to drop back to 13.04. Looks like xbmc is depending on ttf-liberation whereas I am guessing from sparse searches that it has been dropped in at least debian in favor of fonts-liberation. In Ubuntu 13.10 I am not finding ttf-* but fonts-* so....
  • 80(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11