• 86(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
ok cool. i'm giving the 319 driers a try. you are right about 304.88 sucking. the last nvidia driver i remember REALLY working is 304.64 but i cant get it from apt-get anymore
Finally got it up and running on 13.10. The problem was that it got stuck on installing xbmc because of "uninstallable" missing dependency ttf-liberation. I found a debian package which showed that it depended on "font-liberation". So by doing :

sudo apt-get install font-liberation

(Which apparently included ttf-liberation!) the installation of xbmc went fine!
just realized bram77's script doesnt install xorg? ummm? i'm guessing it automatically gets installed by the graphics-drivers packages?
ok off topic but, with xbmc gotham i know AE is updated a lot. but for regular 2 channel flac audio/mp3 etc would there be an actual audio quality difference or just under-the-hood. dont know if its a placebo or not
I never said 304.88 sucked... but once you go over 304 you cannot reinstall back 304 because they wont work properly again due to how badly the xswat packages for 319 are. If anything 319 suck because of the packaging, hence why I had to go higher to 331.20

If your at 304.88 stuck with it.
Hi, all - happy holidays, hope you had a good one.

Followed Bram's guide from the first few pages, installed Debian64-bit and dropped his scripts on - everything installed like a dream! Kicking job, Bram (and others involved in the maintenance/support of this script)

I also had an issue with getting analogue sound routed out down HDMI cable on a Zotac box with NVidia GPU... this guide worked for me in the past and also worked for this new Ubuntu13.04_x64 build. I got down as far as the speaker-test lines but didn't go any further (everything worked after the restart) but know that speaker-test sometimes fails with an error stating the device is in use (by XBMC).

Anyway, other than an issue with getting AVIs to play I've got another question:

The guide mentions that the user created must be xbmc. Can this be changed later? I want to modify the username and UID to match some other files - I know I'll need to work some wizardry with chown and modify the account mentioned over in /etc/init.d/xbmc but is there anything else to be aware of?
Please note that this version is abandoned: https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba. Please update the guide or mark it obsolete.
@FernetMenta see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1567338

I would likely just put a note on first post (as you can edit it), since Bram77 hasnt made any changes or updated the script in over a year now.

Or @ Bram77 please update your first post.
Just for completeness (Hi, FernetMenta!) if anyone has followed the guide so far and wants to bring XBMC up to the later revision, these are the lines to do it:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get upgrade

(Source: FernetMenta - not my work, his!)
Hmmm. Well i'd first remove the source for old repo than add new one. Purge xbmc and xbmc-bin and then update and install xbmc and xbmc-bin. Do autoclean and autoremove at the end.
(2013-12-28, 20:20)Preacher Wrote: Just for completeness (Hi, FernetMenta!) if anyone has followed the guide so far and wants to bring XBMC up to the later revision, these are the lines to do it:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get upgrade

(Source: FernetMenta - not my work, his!)

(2013-12-28, 20:25)illiac4 Wrote: Hmmm. Well i'd first remove the source for old repo than add new one. Purge xbmc and xbmc-bin and then update and install xbmc and xbmc-bin. Do autoclean and autoremove at the end.

So ya its then something like.... Recapitulating.

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository -r -y ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master
sudo apt-get -y remove --purge xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get -y install xbmc xbmc-bin
sudo apt-get -y autoremove
sudo apt-get -y autoclean

See where the upgrade apt-get goes Preacher? Ya not after the install right?? That wasnt a Q
(2013-12-28, 22:36)uNiversal Wrote: See where the upgrade apt-get goes Preacher? Ya not after the install right?? That wasnt a Q
Aha... if my stuff is wrong, can a mod scrub it? (or possibly update the guide with correct info then strike mine through).

Have to admit I just banged the lines in blindly and everything came up okay, but if it's duff info I'd prefer it gets removed in favour of updated/accurate details (I know how frustrating it can be to follow instructions only to find later they're incorrect).

Footnote: I'm getting prompted for "do-dist-upgrade" - am I likely to break anything moving from 13.04 to 13.10?
worked fine for me.
@Preacher: It's all okay. There is a whole lot other stuff far more broken :-)

Concerning your dist-upgrade: I would start from scratch with a minimal iso. It's just a matter for 10 commands to get a fully working system up and running.

If you need help, join #xbmc-xvba - and wait until someone is there.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
i'm gonna open a new thread soon this is very outdated....

(2013-12-29, 13:53)fritsch Wrote: @Preacher: It's all okay. There is a whole lot other stuff far more broken :-)

Concerning your dist-upgrade: I would start from scratch with a minimal iso. It's just a matter for 10 commands to get a fully working system up and running.

If you need help, join #xbmc-xvba - and wait until someone is there.

hey in the Radeon OSS how to i notice you use a modified upstart script that calls an shell script to launch xbmc. is this needed specifically for oss? i'm wondering because i want to get the script up to spec for the current ati status
  • 86(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11