• 2(current)
Linux HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based
I could modify the script for that. I think I'll merge the NVIDIA and ATI script too and determine what drivers to install depending on a parmeter or so.
I've never tried it, but does XBMC run well with the OpenSource drivers? It seems unlikely...

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(2012-09-28, 11:21)Bram77 Wrote: I could modify the script for that. I think I'll merge the NVIDIA and ATI script too and determine what drivers to install depending on a parmeter or so.
I've never tried it, but does XBMC run well with the OpenSource drivers? It seems unlikely...

Well, it all depends on your cpu-oomph Big Grin ATM it is not the best way to enjoy your media as it is all decoded by software as far as I know. But you never know what the future holds Smile
Then I think it's probably not worth the effort Smile. Are there any other popular and capable graphics drives that should be installable? For Intel maybe?

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
alanwww1's guide seems to be popular on the Intel iGPU front: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=intel
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Ok, great. Thanks! I'll see what I can add from that.
Do you guys think I should install lirc by default? I'm not using it because I have a Pulse Eight remote, but I guess a lot of people do.

edit: I guess I'll make lirc optional Smile

I've noticed that turning off the machine from within XBMC doesn't work as expected. It just closes XBMC and shows the terminal login screen after that. I'll have to look into fixing that.

Instructions and script have been updated.

* There is only one installation script now, using a parameter to determine the video driver type
* Added support for Intel video cards (untested)
* Added the installation of upower and acpi-support
* Added optional installation of lirc
* Improved cleanup before reboot
* Script deletes itself after the installation now

Hi first off thank you so much for putting this together. Its was so easy to follow your instructions. I've been trying to find a way to run xbmcbuntu with the most recent nightly since there is a fix for the video calibration in it.

So far I installed everything as you said. The only thing i think i messed up on is the part of selecting openssh server. I pressed enter instead of space bar and it just continued. The issue I'm seing is that now in XBMC everything is extremely slow. I'm going to try installing again and watch this time to see any errors or something.

Oh and I'm using a GIGABYTE GA-E350N-USB3 AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson-M1 FCH Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo that has a AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics. 4gb of memory and a 60gb SSD. Hope you can help. I am very new to ubuntu and linux so any help would be great thanks.

Just reinstalled and selected openssh this time. went through the installation and noticed

Installing ATI video drivers...
E: Unable to locate package fgrlx
* ATI video drivers successfully installed

Not sure if that is the cause of the XBMC being so slow. After this install it is once again very slow.
@platinum8317 it's highly unlikely that anything misconfigured for the sshd package would be the source of a slow system.

If your hardware acceleration is not working, however, that could account for a sluggish system.

If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
You can always install SSH on your current machine. Just press "CTRL+ALT+F1", login and run the following command.

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ssh

You might need to reboot the machine. You can login to the machine remotely using terminal in Linux or OSX, or use Putty in WIndows.
Your XBMC installation being slow has nothing to do with not installing OpenSSH. It doesn't impact the performance of XBMC it just allows you to remotely login and manage the files on your machine. I have no experience with the GPU you're referring to but it seems like the driver installed is missing XVBA acceleration. Downloading and installing the latest propitiatory driver from the ati website is probably the solution. I'm going to look into integrating that processes!

Thanks for the usefull feedback Smile
I've almost got a test script ready. I have no ATI hardware, so the only way to test is if you do it for me latinum8317 Smile

Ok well i was hunting on the internet for info on fglrx. From what i understand it is the graphics drivers for ATI. So i followed someones post to ssh into my system and install the drivers. All i did was "sudo apt-get install fglrx" and it went through its process and installed everything. I then rebooted and to my surprise XBMC is running great. Sound works and video playback is great and the system is as fast as my previous xbmc install.

I'm loving it now and want to thank you so much.

Thanks.

@thethirdnut
Thanks for the insight. I figured out ssh and that my issue was ati hardware acceleration.

@Bram77
I'll def. help out however I can. just let me know. Thanks.

One thing I am def missing that I think Bram77 mentioned before. The function to shutdown or reboot the computer from xbmc.
EDIT: Never mind! I've figured out what the problem was. It was a typo. The script was trying to install the fgrlx driver instead of the fglrx driver Smile

EDIT 2: Shutdown and reboot needs to be fixed. I'm on it Smile

The script now installs the XBMC boot logo to. I've improved several parts in the installation. I'm pretty sure it's safe to run the script again to install the extra modules.

I'm trying it from the beginning again now to test it for you. So I'll let you know. I just hope this finishes before I need to leave for dinner.
Alright Smile. That's the best way to get familiar with Ubuntu.... Keep going until you get the hang of it. You'll be using it on your desktop PC before you know it :p

ok it finished but i think there were a few issues. ATI drivers didn't give me the error this time but after that...

Downloading and applying xbmc init.d script
mv: cannot stat `./xbmc_init_script': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/etc/init.d/xbmc': No such file or directory
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/xbmc: file does not exist
* init.d script succesfully downloaded and applied

Installing XBMC boot screen...
dpkg: error processing plymouth-theme-xbmc-logo.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
plymouth-theme-xbmc-logo.deb
* XBMC boot screen successfully installed

I didn't get these last time I installed so I think there is an issue.

Also after the htpc rebooted it gave me a "failed to load file amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin"
and then goes to the ubuntu login.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based11